rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

Yeah, I'm sure I'll find a rare weapon at some point, I was thinking more about buying one of the other starter weapons but the damage wouldnt be that great.

Do people generally just stick to their chosen starter weapons?

I've started with Axe and got it to +3, given how rare upgrade items are, it seems wasteful to upgrade a new weapon to +1 when the damage won't be as high as my original one.

Yeah, they're really not rare by the time you get to the third boss. I've got about 50 blood shards and have the starting weapons up to at least +3.

• Upvote 1

Managed a fairly successful afternoon, and whilst I struggled with SOY (I had to go away and level up a little - to around 55, I think) I minced Rom. Now I've opened up another entrance to UV, and have a couple of other optional (I think) areas with all shortcuts open to their respective bosses.

I've started with Axe and got it to +3, given how rare upgrade items are

There are some baddies in Old Yarnham that drop them every time they die, so don't worry.

(the lanky half beast villagers in central Yarnham drop them occasionally too)

• Upvote 1

Do people generally just stick to their chosen starter weapons?

I've started with Axe and got it to +3, given how rare upgrade items are, it seems wasteful to upgrade a new weapon to +1 when the damage won't be as high as my original one.

As there's two weapon slots and no equip limit I've had two weapons the most of the time. I started with the saw cleaver which I upgraded as early as possible, then added the kirkhammer which I only really used in it's heavy form as a top end hard attacker. I ungraded that to +3 as well but have since swapped it out for another heavy weapon that I prefer. Got them both to +6 now.

If you equip a second weapon in the slot next to your primary one you can quick change between them using right on the dpad. Same with your gun/torch in your left hand with the left button.

Thanks to Soo Denim I was able to unlock/find the short cut back to the first lantern. So travelling to the first boss is now just 3 enemies of so away (you can run past the rest!)

I think I will have to watch some videos of how to do the first boss though. So far its falling foul of my distaste of 3D boss fights, seemingly bad camera, getting stuck in scenery, fighting in a confined space and never sure about hit range (am I close enough to graphics of the thing I am trying to hit? Seems its a bit of a lottery in 3D). This is on-top of some quite frankly wankey one hit kills.

Well took the special invitation at the crossroads and ended up in a lovely but deadly new area. The boss there is absolutely brutal.

I loved that boss, probably my favourite in the game. Really good mix of attack patterns to keep you on your toes throughout, and some of the stuff he pulls off is hilarious/spectacular!

Anyway, I've been playing this fairly incessantly since getting it last week and just finished at the game today. (For anyone keeping score, it took me 25 hours to get to the end, including dabbling in chalice dungeons and doing the big optional areas like

Cainhurst and the Nightmare Frontier

. I've since spent another 3 hours on subquests, PVP, and more obscure optional bosses, and a further 10 on chalice dungeons and the occasional invasion for lols).

Honestly I wasn't sure what to expect from the faster/more intense combat system, I even felt a little trepidation going in, having been a fairly conservative DeS/DaS player, but good lord once it clicks the combat feels majestic. Being able to dance around bosses, nicking their heels with my sword, before getting the hell out before they unleash an AoE attack feels as good as ever, and is made all the more tense now I'm lacking a shield. The weapons themselves are bloody great as well. Having been a big fan of the axe initially, and then Tonitrus later on, I have to say my heart belongs to Ludwig's Holy Blade now. Great move set on the regular sword, interrupts plenty of level enemy attacks, and even though I never really liked great swords in the Souls games, this one really feels like something special. Knocks almost every enemy in the game out of attack animations with a single reasonably fast swing, charge attacks cover loads of space, AND it looks fucking badass.

Though the busier aesthetic appeals to me less than the austerity of Demon's and Dark Souls, I do like how the clutter makes the environments feel almost invasive, making it all the more difficult to escape Yharnam and its madness. Though the labyrinthine nature of it might put off some compared to the elegance of Dark Souls' Lordran, the way Yharnam and its surrounding areas fit together is utterly brilliant. And there's suprosing variety in the level design, with a good mix open areas to explore and tightly knit mazes of corridors. Even more amazingly, despite there being so much more square footage of game to explore than in previous games, there aren't any weak/unfinished/unsatisfying areas at all.

I have to say the Chalice Dungeons seem like a brilliant addition too. I can't believe how many unique enemies, bosses and assets are to be found in them. Would love to tromp around with a couple of mates in tow, but right now summoning seems pretty sparse.

Honestly, I don't think I could be much more pleased with the way this game has executed on its concept. Can't wait to get stuck in replaying it!

• Upvote 3

So in Old Yarnham there was this random knight dude with a huge sword. I killed him and he hasn't come back since. Odd.

Also:

The bit further on from that in the ritual chamber thing was so tense. I thought I was going to end up with a boss battle on my hands, but thankfully I found a shortcut.

The Knight dude was a Hunter. There's a few around and they don't respawn. Well done on killing him, I'm struggling. He's so fast.

So in Old Yarnham there was this random knight dude with a huge sword. I killed him and he hasn't come back since. Odd.

How did you manage to kill him? I just ran past him like a coward after trying, and failing, to even do any damage to him :blink:

I just kept wailing on him. He does like a stab with his sword, I'd dodge left and then just hack away at him, but it was hardly doing any damage, so I just stunned him with my blunderbuss and did a visceral attack on him.

Am I doing something wrong with the suspend / resume stuff? Every time I come back to the game, there's a message saying I've been returned to the title screen. Can you only suspend the game in offline mode?

Hmm, might try that then. He was bloody fast though.

I got owned by the guy in your vid first time I got there. The messages before him say to use sneak attacks, which cant work as he turns around to face you :hmm:

Right, Blood Starved Beast was actually easy with Kirkhammer, did him on my first go, just took some patience. Video of me doing it is below:

So, of the bosses so far, I've done CB, FG, and BSB. Should I have met anyone else up to this point?

That seems like the logical and 'correct' progression for most people.

Am I doing something wrong with the suspend / resume stuff? Every time I come back to the game, there's a message saying I've been returned to the title screen. Can you only suspend the game in offline mode?

I'm able to suspend in online mode.

Mine does the same

Charley Farley, what sort of connection do you use? Wired or wifi?

I managed to suspend in online when I did it for a short period of time, but generally it doesn't work. I have a theory that on a wired connection the PS4 will connect faster and bloodborne won't kick you out.

Moz:

cainhurst is best left for much later on I think. Reading between the lines I guess the other area is Yahar'gul? You absolutely shouldn't be getting one-shot by anything. Have you tried different armour? The right gear for an area really does make a difference.

As for the co-op I've no idea. You've rebooted the game right? And are ringing bells in areas appropriate for your level? You have the worst luck with this stuff.

Thanks, I will leave it for later. Yes that's where I am. I sprinted through all the enemies over and over until I got back to the gaol. OK...? Maybe there's another route.

I did find a co-op partner after 30 mins, but it immediately (and I mean immediately) said "your beckoner has died" then told me whose world I was in and then warped me out. Fucking great.

Moz, you should definitely consider getting broadband.

I have 150mb fiber thanks, plugged into a very decent Asus router with a wire. I get about 12ms ping whenever I play on my PC. And no its not my NAT type, Sony and From are just incapable of hosting servers which work and writing netcode which isn't awful. I got invaded once in 58 hours and it was really laggy (and about 15fps, sigh) though I won. Haven't been invaded since. Can't summon, can't be summoned, can't invade, bloodstains don't work.

This is from my phone on WiFi... http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1222022752

• Upvote 2

Re suspend mode, I've had a mix of being told Ive lost connection, and continuing without issue.

Thing is, online is broken when you come out of resume whatever, so you're better off going back to the menu, manually if necessary.

Charley Farley, what sort of connection do you use? Wired or wifi?

I managed to suspend in online when I did it for a short period of time, but generally it doesn't work. I have a theory that on a wired connection the PS4 will connect faster and bloodborne won't kick you out.

I'm on wifi. I just set it into rest mode (you have to enable the suspend in the power options) and when it comes back on it dives straight back into the game. Ah, now I think about it you also have to tick a box for something like 'suspend applications' as well in the power options.

FUCKING FATHER GASCOIGNE IS DOWN.

This is why I love these games so much. Nothing else matches that feeling.

• Upvote 6

Think I'm right near the end now. Late game spoilers:

Cainhurst and Upper Cathedral Ward cleared, got to do the boss of one of the nightmares and then fuck knows where after that

Level 76, shouldn't need to do much more with my build now. Absolutely adore this game.

Father G is....down (the fucker)! :)

I was just about to come in here and moan about him after 10 or more attempts, getting close a couple of times when I finally clocked it. Thanks for all the assistance and tips. I found in the last fight what really helped me was rolling towards/through him as he came for me to get behind easily, seemed to work a treat, especially on wolfie. Also and this applies to all of the enemies and particularly bosses is to remain calm and not get phased whilst they go nuts in front of you. I forced myself to back off and take stock a number of times where previously I would have stayed stuck in and got knobbled.

Onwards... :)

• Upvote 4

Waiting at the lamp near Rom for mikeF. If anyone fancies joining the password is qwerty12.

Right, Blood Starved Beast was actually easy with Kirkhammer, did him on my first go, just took some patience. Video of me doing it is below:

So, of the bosses so far, I've done CB, FG, and BSB. Should I have met anyone else up to this point?

Just curious (not a dig I swear!) but how come you ask these sorts of questions? Have faith in your own ability! :) Or are you only intending on a single playthrough, or something?

Ha, Dp got me too, and I worked so hard to even go that way! Thankfully a Hunters mark and some nimble rolling saved my bloodstain..

Bugger. I forgot to take my keys to work with me today and my girlfriend is teaching late tonight. So I'm passing the time eating at a local Thai restaurant, instead of hunting beasts in glorious, gruesome Yharnam. Fucksticks. Might even get the laptop out in a bit and do some work!