rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

So, er, that place I mentioned a little while ago...

Yahr'gul or something. How do I get back there?

A different tombstone in the Hunter's Dream.

Halp!

Went down the hole in the workshop tower and almost immediately got put in jail. I've lit the lamp there in that weird massive place with the pigs and hags. So should I go to the village at the bottom of the pit again or explore this area?

The most satisfying way, as in every Souls game, is to find out yourself :) But if you really want to know:

Clearing out the village bit at the bottom gives you the opportunity to get some items early, including a cool armor set and really cool weapon. You can also choose to fight a cool optional boss fight early.

• Upvote 1

BSB down! Easier than I thought, but then I had started putting points into

Arcane after realising it boosts fire damage, and Old Yarnham's inhabitants are very weak to fire. So I basically ended up immolating him at the altar.

I'll probably continue down that path for a while now and see where it takes me, though I'm sure I'm in for some pain for not building up the other, more obvious stats. But I get the feeling Arcane might come into its own during late game. Er, maybe. If I get that far.

This game's really won me over tonight though, so I'll feel obliged to persevere even if it becomes impossibly difficult again. Not so much because of the elation over the BSB victory - elation was there, yet I still don't find the bosses the most enjoyable part of the game; in fact, probably the least enjoyable, something of a barrier to get through - but the level design and art style really took off in Old Yarnham, I felt. I found it a completely captivating world to make your way through, first tentatively, in fear of the tower guy and then, upon his demise, with confidence, and eventually mastery once those supremely elegant shortcuts were unearthed. But a joyous experience throughout, simply down to the world-building. I've admired the design of Bloodborne's sets, and its vistas, a few times before, but this is the first time I was knocked out completely by the coherence of the architectural plan and the logic of its puzzle-like geometries. OY felt organic, but logical; and unlocking the environments and working out safe passage though them - and how to maximise the pain you can inflict on its hapless inhabitants - is the best part of the game for me. There's a real magic to it, this world, which I think might go down as one of the most memorable I've experienced in a video game - or in almost any medium in recent years.

And I also ended up getting a certain weapon I quite liked the sound of, so even though it doesn't do as much damage as my starter weapon even when levelled up, I'm going to have a go with that, too, as well as sticking with Arcane. Like Waste of Skin, which I still wish I'd chosen, I'm sure these difficult-at-first choices will bear fruit in the end. I guess that's what they're there for.

As well as looking cool, of course.

Picture of cool weapon that isn't really a spoiler at all but just in case

Ludwig.jpg

• Upvote 1

I love this. I'm at Old Yarnham after struggling way too much against a certain man of the cloth. As usual I entertained thoughts of being stuck on a boss forever.

I did a happy dance when I realized the reason he wasn't attacking anymore was because he was dead.

Taken me really quite long to get to grips with the new rhythm but I'm feeling it now.

The atmosphere, design and presentation are just delicious and right up my dark, foggy, plague ridden alley.

I'm a little taken aback by the lack of armour upgrading coupled with the paring back of attributes. Although it's yet to have any quantifiable detrimental effect.

I love this.

Loading times are good for drinking wine. letting your heart rate settle and holding your head in your hands, cursing quietly but forcefully.

• Upvote 4

Have really pushed on now far in to Old Yarnham and ended up opening up a couple of excellent shortcuts and then getting to what I assume is the next boss in a

ruined church

but decided to cash out and come back to it. I see that

Alfred

pops up here for some jolly co-op so I shall be most definitely getting him involved.

No game gives me such trepidation (in a good way) when playing. Walking through a large hall earlier with god knows what hanging from the rafters and was utterly convinced it or something was going to come alive and smash me to pieces. So much so I was literally inching forward around the perimeter. Took an age to cross the hall and...nowt happened! It's interesting how you're confidence and bravado rises and falls whilst playing. Sometimes you're like, bring it on and others...haaalp! Love it... :)

Okay, I've been trying to play this for the last four hours and found it one of the most depressing, humbling experiences I've ever had playing a game - I can see there's a good game here, I just cannot get to grips with it - at one point I had 3000 blood echoes and found a circuitous route into some sewers, apparently bypassing the first boss entirely, though I never came across the light I was looking for and eventually got killed. Couldn't remember how I got there on my return trip so they were lost forever.

I'm going to try and have another go tomorrow, but if anyone has any beginner tips I'd really appreciate them. I made it as far as the first boss once, got killed in a single hit, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with the echoes, I'm pretty certain I've picked the worst weapon (the cane whip thing) and...well, help, basically.

Okay, I've been trying to play this for the last four hours and found it one of the most depressing, humbling experiences I've ever had playing a game - I can see there's a good game here, I just cannot get to grips with it - at one point I had 3000 blood echoes and found a circuitous route into some sewers, apparently bypassing the first boss entirely, though I never came across the light I was looking for and eventually got killed. Couldn't remember how I got there on my return trip so they were lost forever.

Mate, go back and cash all of that in before recklessly heading into somewhere that looks scary! On my first night I was forcefully trying to play through to the next check-point like some kind of sadist, and unless you've already mastered the riposte and can take down Ogres in one shot that's not going to happen. You could say I wasted the first three hours playing like that.

Go back at intervals you're comfortable with, upgrade ALL of your gear (2500, I think), and start spending 500+ on each level-up. Enemies will respawn, that's true, but you will know how to deal with them meaning more farm. The only part that takes patience is if you want to clear the bonfire area instead of just sprinting past it.

I'm going to try and have another go tomorrow, but if anyone has any beginner tips I'd really appreciate them. I made it as far as the first boss once, got killed in a single hit, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with the echoes, I'm pretty certain I've picked the worst weapon (the cane whip thing) and...well, help, basically.

Just keep at it mate.

For the first hour or two it felt pretty impenetrable to me, even coming from Souls3.

Before too long you will get the knack for taking on previously impossible groups and enemies.

Beat BSM tonight and managed to get him on my second go, was actually not too bad using this method

I had a pile of those pungent blood things that attracts monsters to them so I just kept throwing them from one end to the other and then caning him with my fire covered whip everytime he walked towards it. Managed to take him down relatively quickly using that method

Amazing game though, love this just as much as Demons Souls and Dark Souls :)

So do I just need to go back to the start with the lantern once I've got 2000+ echoes, say? Or is there one past the bonfire I should have found by now?

So do I just need to go back to the start with the lantern once I've got 2000+ echoes, say? Or is there one past the bonfire I should have found by now?

Yep. Get used to returning to lanterns to cash in before you get too cocky, although that depends on your playstyle and confidence. :) Playing games confidently can be like talking shit, only with Bloodborne you're talking shit with a gun in your mouth.

In order to open up the left gate at Central Yharnam just go down the right side and keep hugging left, checking and destroying everything.

Man I had some epic scary adventures this morning, around UV and CW.. (warning, wall of text incoming..)

first, I returned to the Church Ward to explore the upper part of the medical bit, I'd accidentally dropped straight down the first time. After finding the badge at the top, I warped back to find out what it'd get me.. Oh baby that sword looked tasty! But 20k though.. Had nowhere near enough cash, so headed back to the medical church (or whatever it is called) to drop down and explore the streets properly.

Oh man, that was some treacherous shit! It seemed to present never ending routes branching out and out in various directions! I felt like I was probably coming round to that gate with the seal (except from the other side) but I was wrong. Died a few times near the cathedral(?) and in the foggy streets nearby, getting more and more panicked that I had no fucking idea where I was! Had some hairy trips back to reclaim bloodstains, made especially tense as I finally started running out of healing items. :(

It was fine in the end though and I Bold Marked back with about 16k, burnt up some consumables money items to push me to 20k and bought the sword.

But wait! I'm two points short on skill. Bollocks! I need about 6-7k per level right now, so I headed back to the scary cathedral to keep exploring. Found a guy behind a door who wanted a password (correlated to a note I'd previously read) but had no idea of the password. Found the main entrance to the cathedral, but before going in had a look around the perimeter.

Oh my GOD, where am I going now? Some ruined buildings crows on the roof and a pair of Hunters waiting for me below. *gulp* the first Hunter fell without much trouble. He had electric zapping through his mace, and a wooden shield (lol!) but thankfully his attacks were all so slow I just parried him four times and he was dead. The second Hunter was a war of attrition though. His shotgun spread was so wide, barely hurt but was enough to make it really hard to land any hits. After burning through most of my vials, he fell.

Examine the buildings.. Bless us with blood. Bless us with blood. Gotta be something to do with the invading covenant I thought! Had no luck whatsoever though. Looked a bit further seemed to be a long path going down to a very big building, and going up I found a jailer, who got the jump on me and nearly one shot me! Panicked, I legged it and took a moment to figure out what to do next..

Oh wait! I've got 17k bloodmoneys! Bold marked again and levelled my skill. Oh man Ludwig's Sword :wub:

I pimped it as much as I could, then decided to head back to the Unseen Village to explore outside. Forgetting that I didn't have any vials.. Ended up in a tough spot and lost 20k eventually. Bah! Fucking piggy snuck up on me while I was fighting the dogs. The bastard. Cleared the area though, leaving me no choice but to take on Darkbeast Raal, now.

Having no health vials was not an option though, so to end the session I returned to Central Yarnham to try farm some vials. Unbelievably though, I was getting very few drops, probably because of my low insight.

..and then I had to stop and regrettably get ready for work and reality. Was a great session though, I was soooooo into it and nervous as hell the whole time.

What a fucking game. :wub:

Yeah. I'm pretty much there myself, Dood. That place is fucking horrible in the best possible way. I also have that weapon.

This game is amazing.

If you can get to the sewers then you're not too far from a shortcut that opens up by the first lantern. Once you get that, you'll feel much better about things. Opening the first couple of shortcuts is brutal even for people who played Souls games before. Probably the hardest bit of the game so far outside the bosses. Getting them is a game changer for the first area. Keep going.

I got that last night and then saw something else that looked weird

stake driver

so I bought that. It seems cool.

Anyone bought

Ludwig rifle

?

If you can get to the sewers then you're not too far from a shortcut that opens up by the first lantern. Once you get that, you'll feel much better about things. Opening the first couple of shortcuts is brutal even for people who played Souls games before. Probably the hardest bit of the game so far outside the bosses. Getting them is a game changer for the first area. Keep going.

Yep. That's a pivotal moment for many. There's also a sort of back entrance to the sewers if you find a path in Yarnham that looks like it goes nowhere and roll through them. There's also a pretty nice armour set if you explore the wooden platforms.

I have this dodgy armour I found

iron helm and some raggy clothes

feels more souls now.

Just spent the past couple of hours in organised co-op, both story mode and Chalice Dungeons. Works perfectly once you get that initial connection.

Here's the short & easy guide for success:

• Set network Worldwide.
  • Set a password.
  • Helper warps from hub to area IN ADVANCE. Rings small bell.
  • Host warps from hub to area. Rings big bell.
  • Wait...

The initial connection may take as long as 2 mins, but every summon after that was 20 seconds tops.

IMPORTANT: Both players must warp from Hunter's Dream to the location you wanna play. They also must return there after you've completed an area/boss. This is imperative as it 'clears the system'.

Side note: You can join NG+ from NG (and vice-versa), the only restrictions are the +/-10 (+10%) levels.

I spent all last night in co-op with my friend. We'd tried for hours a few nights ago with no joy but after following some suggestions on reddit this time round, it worked every time.

Our method for success:

- Do NOT use rest mode. I've found that's stopped me connecting to anyone full stop, ie randoms, beckon or resonant.

- Set a strong password that's a mix of letters/numbers.

- Use worldwide

- Guest rings resonant bell first, until 'searching for' message appears.

- Host rings beckoning bell.

Occasionally took a few mins but normally about 20s and didn't fail once.

Sadly if one of you dies, you'll need to use your silencing blank then repeat the process to play together again so it costs each time (for the host).

We tried the first chalice dungeon and then he helped me take out BSB. Figured to have a crack at VA but stupid me wanted to explore first, so we took out the hard as nails guys down to the side of her boss door and I died to one of the bag men. Those of you who gave been through this know what happened next. I got out of there ASAP and returned to the guy who killed me, getting back my ~17k echos.

This time we died on VA so my echos were in the boss room. Vials were getting low so we cleared the area to get some loot, had another crack at her and died again, but both happier with her patterns.

So this happened again, until there were 60k of my echos sat in the boss room.

Confident we had her next time (we got crazy close the last time) we started to grind Vials again, and both promptly died in the most stupid way to what should be a stupidly easy enemy.

I should know by now having played both Dark Souls... never underestimate an enemy and get cocky!

Bugger me :)

I can't take off my armour (mild spoiler)

Gascoigne's set :wub:

It's just so badass. And, I think it actually meant a particular NPC spoke with me (discussing with Polmon, he told me the same NPC refused to talk with him!)

I spent all last night in co-op with my friend. We'd tried for hours a few nights ago with no joy but after following some suggestions on reddit this time round, it worked every time.

Our method for success:

- Do NOT use rest mode. I've found that's stopped me connecting to anyone full stop, ie randoms, beckon or resonant.

- Set a strong password that's a mix of letters/numbers.

- Use worldwide

- Guest rings resonant bell first, until 'searching for' message appears.

- Host rings beckoning bell.

Occasionally took a few mins but normally about 20s and didn't fail once.

Sadly if one of you dies, you'll need to use your silencing blank then repeat the process to play together again so it costs each time (for the host).

We tried the first chalice dungeon and then he helped me take out BSB. Figured to have a crack at VA but stupid me wanted to explore first, so we took out the hard as nails guys down to the side of her boss door and I died to one of the bag men. Those of you who gave been through this know what happened next. I got out of there ASAP and returned to the guy who killed me, getting back my ~17k echos.

This time we died on VA so my echos were in the boss room. Vials were getting low so we cleared the area to get some loot, had another crack at her and died again, but both happier with her patterns.

So this happened again, until there were 60k of my echos sat in the boss room.

Confident we had her next time (we got crazy close the last time) we started to grind Vials again, and both promptly died in the most stupid way to what should be a stupidly easy enemy.

I should know by now having played both Dark Souls... never underestimate an enemy and get cocky!

Bugger me :)

Just something I've read as 'confirmed as working' for coop, if the helper dies, the host doesn't need to use a silencing blank and then beckon again. People were saying it can take a couple of minutes, but just ringing the resonant bell will get you back in again. The summoning seems to be proximity based as well, which is mad, but maybe that was a factor if you weren't having luck after dying?

I'd always silence after mates join though, apparently it makes the framerate much better.

Oooh, got Ludwig's sword this morning, and levelled the fucker up to +5!! :wub:

Time to invest in the arcane stat.

I would hold off on that idea. :blah: The Arcane added parameters only come into effect when you change the weapons properties from Physical to Fire/Bolt/Arcane, using a rare Gem.

For now concentrate on upping STR and SKL, both of which have B parameters. You'll get some serious damage output, and you can still lace it for that extra oomph!

I'd always silence after mates join though, apparently it makes the framerate much better.

Definitely do this.

Gazza down 3rd try, easier than expected after all the horror stories. Cheesed him a bit but danced around his third form and killed him in about 4 hits of the charge axe move.

I can't take off my armour (mild spoiler)

Gascoigne's set :wub:

It's just so badass. And, I think it actually meant a particular NPC spoke with me (discussing with Polmon, he told me the same NPC refused to talk with him!)

Oh and, talking to myself a bit, but I've told a few NPCs about the Church ward safe area now, but only that grumpy old lady seems to actually be there. Have I missed something?

..something bad is clearly going to happen there eventually though, surely.

• Upvote 1

Do you get anything for defeating Father Gasgoine? I'm used to big soul drops from bosses, but don't remember getting anything after defeating him, (apart from an immense rush).

..something bad is clearly going to happen there eventually though, surely.

That's what I keep thinking. xD