rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Unreal Tournament 4

EPIC TEASING UNREAL TOURNAMENT "COMEBACK" NEWS NEXT WEEK

The classic arena-based first-person shooter Unreal Tournament is making a come back. This is according to a couple tweets made by people from Epic Games. Epic Games co-founder Mark Rein just tweeted this today. "I love #UnrealTournament - So excited for the comeback! … More next week!"

It looks like Epic has plans set to reveal "the future of Unreal Tournament" according to Epic Games vice president of product development Paul Meegan. It will be livestreamed via Twitch on May 8, 2 PM ET. The latest entry in the series, Unreal Tournament 3, released back in 2007 for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 and published by the defunct Midway Games.

The series started way long ago though as Unreal Tournament in 1999 and debuted on the PC.

Just in case there's any confusion, Mark Rein immediately replied to a fan to confirm that "Yes UT coming back!"

:wub:

Never got on with UT3 but loved UT '99 and 2003/2004. Curious to see what they can bring to the table this time around!

• Upvote 7

I've just built a new PC, my go-to game for trying out my new build was always UT years ago.

I hope we see a new one soon!

EDIT: THIS is the theme that reminds me of UT!

• Upvote 6

The feeling of blasting angsty shitheels in the face to this tune has still never been beaten.

Fucking yes!

I've been hankering for some old school death match, I just hope epic keep the modes & cars to an absolute minimum. Unreal was best when on foot.

This was always a favourite of mine...

Why not have the whole amazing soundtrack:

Massive, mega changes are needed. I played a bit of the last one and the servers were beyond dead. Isn't there some shit depressing steam stat jpeg floating about somewhere from launch?

- remember them even talking about it on the old GFWL pod.

It'd better have a remake of Facing Worlds. And the Peak Monastery. And the Assault map with the beach landing. And...and... :wub:

I still have the Unreal Anthology I picked up for £10 from Virgin Megastores, with Unreal 1 & 2 and UT1 & 2004. :)

The only multiplayer game I've ever given a shit about. If this is announced at E3 for PS4 with mod support (as they managed on PS3) then I'll be absolutely thrilled.

According to the latest Epic tweets:

"The future of URT will be revealed during Epic’s next Unreal Engine 4 Twitch stream on May 8."

They're being pretty open about it but just to confirm; from the UE4 forums, part of a post by Alan Noon, Epics Developer Relations Technical Artist:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4204-Learn-how-to-make-a-fighting-game-in-unreal-4&highlight=learn

"This Thursday, May 8th, at 2:00pm EST I will be making an appearance on the weekly Epic Livestream over on the Unreal Engine Twitch TV channel.

I will be sitting in With Nick Whiting and Nick Donaldson to chat a bit about Unreal 4′s Blueprint feature and how it makes game development possible for a much wider audience. We’ll talk about the Unreal Fighting Game in terms of the overarching goals of the project, what has been accomplished thus far, and when the next steps are.

There will also be a full reveal of the future of Unreal Tournament, so it promises to be a pretty big episode!

Unreal Fighting Game? Guilty Gear Xrd uses Unreal Engine 4 too, right? It looks beautiful, too.

The fighting game mentioned is the project that he is working on in order to learn the blueprints side of the engine and documenting it on the UE4 forums as he goes, rather than it being a studio game to release, though it should also be mentioned in the UE4 stream tomorrow.

Sweet! UT99 was around the time of Quake 3 but I always preffered it. 2004 was a masterpiece and the best of the bunch I'd say, loads of maps, vehicles, the announcer and it seemed to run amazingly even on basic hardware. I remember playing it on an Athlon 2000 and an ATI Radeon 9200 and running it really well.

I bought the CD version back in the day and I think it came on about 5 CDs as that's all the shop had left. I couldn't really tell you what I didnt like about the last one, the graphics looked good, it was definitely fun but just didn't have the same feel.

Having bots on facing worlds on UT99, sniping and following up the redeemer, m m m m monster kill!

F2P confirmed. Stream chat's gone apeshit.

EDIT: "It's free, not free-to-play". Nice save.

It's free but there's going to be a "marketplace" for modders and level-makers to sell their stuff.

Points for those who weren't watching the stream (I was making dinner at the time so not sure if I missed anything:

- Game will just be called 'Unreal Tournament'

- Nothing to be shown yet, this is day 1 involvement.

- Developed in tandem with the community; both developers and gamers - discussion here - http://epic.gm/utforum (personally wish they'd not just made a subforum but a whole new one. Bit concerned the dev forums are going to get overrun with non developers only interested in UT rather than general UE4 development...)

- Free (not "free to play, not pay to win", just free. All content provided by Epic will remain free).

- Current UE4 marketplace which is used to deliver content examples to developers (and is awesome) will be extended to allow modders to deliver their own content

- Talk of resurrecting some of the original maps. Facing Worlds was mentioned :D

- Sounds like this will be as endlessly modable as the original UT

- Generally aiming for community involvement throughout the entire process.

Also, for folk who haven't been investigating the engine, Epic release sample content to UE4 subscribers so that you can dissect how different types of games/effects/processes are setup and one of the first was Shooter Game which shows that they already have the absolute basics in place for a game like UT. Again, this is just example content for the engine as whole so please don't assume that this is how a new UT will look/play/etc.

• Upvote 1

Epic are entirely about following Valve/Riot/Blizzard into games as a service, this was completely predictable.

Do you ever drop the insufferable know-it-all shtick?

• Upvote 1

It's PC only I take it?

I didn't hear anything that led me to believe otherwise. Generally UT has been the game to get modders involved with the engine in the past and with the recent launch of UE4 and their new subscription model I imagine a big reason for doing this project is to boost their numbers, get people to migrate from UDK to UE4 and start making money for the engine.

Do you ever drop the insufferable know-it-all shtick?

Nope it's his raison d'etre. Act superior at all times even if you have to completely ignore what you've written before or are in fact wrong.