IGNORED

Demon Gaze

bradigor

post-10835-0-10371900-1399647076.jpg

Been playing this for the best part of 40 hours now and is my most played Vita title behind Persona 4 Golden.

If you have any interest in JRPG then you simply have to play this.

It mixes first person Dungeon Crawling with traditional JRPG combat. The story starts off fairly light, but then gets pretty deep and dark and as usual with games like this, you need to look past the visuals somewhat.

I cannot say enough just how good this game is and there are only a few of us playing right now. So would be nice to see some new players.

post-10835-0-23041600-1399646997.jpg

post-10835-0-32735600-1399646998.jpg

post-10835-0-35625800-1399646999_thumb.j

post-10835-0-23208400-1399647001_thumb.j

post-10835-0-07804400-1399646774.jpg

Yeah, it's good fun. I've been holding back on making a thread about it because I didn't really know what to make of it at first, but apart from a few minor issues I've enjoyed what I've played so far and I've found it pretty hard to put down. Essentially it's a dungeon crawler where you explore a new area blindly - whilst filling in blanks on the map - and look for "circles" to take control of; control all of the circles and a demon boss appears; defeat the boss and s/he becomes a demonic ally in battles. That's a fairly simplified view of the general gameplay, but there are plenty of interesting systems and lots of loot that keep things interesting.

When you're in a battle you have the usual options of guarding, attacking, using class-specific skills or using expendable items, but you can also summon your demon into battle. The extent to which you're able to use your demon is shown with a gauge in the corner of your screen - when the demon is on the field, the gauge ticks down, when you call it back and fight without it, the gauge increases again. Use your demon too much without bringing it back and it can go berserk, attacking enemies and party members alike. It's a nice system that encourages you to continually change your tactics during battle. :)

Whilst the battles are varied and interesting, there are random and forced encounters in the dungeons, which might put players off when they're just trying to get somewhere, but it all helps when you're after loot, experience and the rest of it. The party is made up of characters defined by certain classes, but they have customisable character portraits and every time they gain a level you get to spend points increasing one of several stats (strength, vitality, agility, etc.) It plays very much like a traditional JRPG but I kind of enjoy some of the risk-reward systems in there (along with the berserk demons, you also get increasingly large rent bills for returning to an inn, so you want to stay in dungeons as much as possible.)

My own personal gripes have come from the random battle frequency (nowhere near as bad as something like Revelations: Persona, but still a nuisance at times) and some of the stills of girls in their underwear (seriously, if you thought Persona 4 was bad for having a minute of Rise in a bikini at the start, you don't know how cringeworthy anime-styled JRPG girlies can get.) Oh, and some of the storyline bosses can absolutely wreck you if you're not prepared, but that just makes victory all the more satisfying.

Anyway, right now I think I'm in some kind of clock tower in Grimodar, figuring out where to go next. (I think I'm a bit underlevelled too; Heal Shower, Holy Shield, guarding in the back row, and party members still get KO'ed by certain attacks in bog-standard random battles...) I don't know how much time I'll find to play it when certain new releases arrive in May but I'll keep exploring in the meantime. :)

Are Mind 0 and Hyper Dimension Neptunia PP out?

I'm one those "few people" currently playing this but haven't made anywhere near as much progress as Bradigor or Qazinod.

Are Mind 0 and Hyper Dimension Neptunia PP out?

I'm one those "few people" currently playing this but haven't made anywhere near as much progress as Bradigor or Qazinod.

Mind Zero is supposed to be out at the end of this month; I've had my eye on it because certain sites were quick to compare it to Persona (which seems hugely misleading; the only similarities are firstperson dungeons and schoolkids who summon creatures from their psyches) but I'm keener to judge it on its own merits...

Is that Etna from Disgaea in the second pic? Does it have any links to that?

I think there was news of promotional Disgaea DLC stuff - Demon Gaze allows you to choose character portraits for your party, and since the portraits are independent from stats and things, they can look like Disgaea characters and play like Demon Gaze characters. :)

Jupiter down! :D Amusingly, the boss battle was over quite quickly and I found the actual dungeon crawl way more stressful and time-consuming. Without wanting to give away too much, the clock tower dungeon has routes sealed off when there are certain bell chimes... I'm not sure what decides the timing of the bell chimes, but after a previous attempt saw me reaching one of the last floors and having a wall pop up and block my progress :( , I decided to just use Mars' Dragon Assault (multi-hit attack) to get through battles as quickly as I could, and then hoped that the gauge would balance itself out enough with successive kills. I imagine all of the faffing around over the past few days must have helped with my levelling, but with the usual Heal Shower and Demon Rage the boss wasn't too scary.

• 7 years later...

WTF.

Kadokawa Games’ RPG Demon Gaze will be arriving on Nintendo Switch in Japan in the form of an enhanced port. Demon Gaze EXTRA boasts features like upgraded graphics and production, improved controls, and the possibility of more content after clearing the main story. With this port being handled mostly by Cattle Call, fans can rest assured with the supervision of original developer Experience. Demon Gaze initially launched for PS Vita in January 2013 in Japan, followed by April 2014 in North America and Europe. As of now, a Western release window has not been announced.

NintendoEverything. I think this enhanced port is coming to PS4 as well?

I think I dropped the Vita game after a later dungeon got a bit much, and I never looked into DG2. The original was pretty good although it did become a bit of a slog later. Oh, and the anime girl depictions are cringey at best; incriminating at worst. So that didn't help.