IGNORED

Kinect-less Xbox One Confirmed | £349

Floex

It's funny, because even now when they're trying to trick people into thinking they're consumer friendly, they're still being cunts. Oh yeah remember that thing that no one ever wanted, that we used to justify our ridiculous at least £100 inflated price tag, oh yeah we've listened to you and have decided to get rid of that as standard, and will be passing on the savings to our customers... of £30, never mind that the standalone inferior 360 kinect is £120, aren't we fucking great.

Five weeks before E3. Can anyone see any reason to do this now except for last-minute desperation to have some decent sales numbers to report going into the conference?

Less than 4 weeks to Microsoft's E3 conference.

They're going to show a lot of Games at E3 and let the press focus on them rather than pricing.

It's ok to not want an Xbox One but to post a load of old shite and then get possed for it shows where this forum is still at. Barely qualifies as next gen? Fuck off.

What is wrong with you? So from my perspective (that others share) that the Xbone is not very next gen warrants swearing? Calm down dear, it's just a games console.

They're going to show a lot of Games at E3 and let the press focus on them rather than pricing.

That's assuming the press doesn't keep harping on about it when E3 rolls around. "Beleaguered Microsoft shows games X and Y, still desperate for your cash" sort of thing. If I were a hit-trawling blogger (which I used to be) then that's what I'd do, 'coz outraged/delighted fanboys are pageview gold.

I suppose there's never a good time to announce what is (from a narrative viewpoint) bad news.

Let's be honest here; the kinect wasn't the xbone's biggest problem.

Furthermore, they reported they had shipped 5 million kinect enabled units, which doesn't indicate how many they've actually sold, and now they want to ship another load of units (at a stupidly high price, no less), to try and get more people to buy? Madness.

Clearly it was easier for MS to have yet another humbling climb down, than it was to was to come up with an actual compelling reason for the white elephant existing.

Still, now they are going toe to toe with PS4 on price and function. That'll end well.

As a consumer I feel pretty shafted. Not because I've paid over the odds for a peripheral that is now going to obsolete within a year but because the company that has continuously said that Kinect IS part of the xbox experience up to now has abandoned it without ever realising any if it's (enjoyment may vary) potential. I mean, they must have had to make sure the Rare sports game got out of the door and Harmonix are now effectively thrown under the bus. If they had no faith in the device they should have just sucked up the cost and still made it an intrinsic part of the machine.

As had been said it's a colossal clusterfuck as Phil Spencer has to unwind all these bad decisions that have been made on the Bone; from a one ring to rule them all living room device; we are left with a diminished product that failed to deliver on both vision and promise, both to the consumers and Microsoft.

I never held any serious hope that Kinect would offer any great controller options for games, but I did hope that they or a developer had the magic, like Apple, to give me something imaginative and great that I'd never thought of.

Remember when Microsoft thought they knew what gamers wanted, but got it wrong with the original Xbox?

Then they got arrogant and told gamers what they wanted, getting it wrong again (with the 360 dash "upgrades" and Xbone)?

Now they've found out what gamers actually want (no Kinect) and somehow they've still got it wrong?

Poor Microsoft.

As a consumer I feel pretty shafted. Not because I've paid over the odds for a peripheral that is now going to obsolete within a year but because the company that has continuously said that Kinect IS part of the xbox experience up to now has abandoned it without ever realising any if it's (enjoyment may vary) potential.

[..]

I never held any serious hope that Kinect would offer any great controller options for games, but I did hope that they or a developer had the magic, like Apple, to give me something imaginative and great that I'd never thought of.

When do people learn not to buy something on basis of PR speak and potential but of actual performance? While I can imagine you feeling shafted, buying an Xbox One because Kinect might one day do something cool is about as clever as buying a PS3 at launch for The Last Guardian.

This was inevitable and people had been calling for a Kinectless console for a long time. Also, outside of dancing/sports games, what did anyone expect games wise for this? Kinect was never going to replace the joypad was it.

Yes, because if you have more system updates you clearly have the better console.

No, It just shows you've got a group of people being proactive and listening to the community feedback which can only be a good thing.

Five weeks before E3. Can anyone see any reason to do this now except for last-minute desperation to have some decent sales numbers to report going into the conference?

If stores aren't selling your stock they don't reup. A new SKU allows you to force them to make new purchases.

And they're reporting shipped not sold, so if they ship a new SKU to all the retailers they bloat the supply chain and pad the numbers before the reveal allowing them to pretend they're sustaining growth.

I thought they did make a killer app/game (Ryse) for it, but then decided to put normal controls in the game instead. Shows how much faith they had.

Problem was the moves they wanted to implement worked 3/5 times so it was all dropped sadly