The Flash - TV series

Gambit

I don't know why when actors start to break through they don't just nuke their accounts and start again. That's what I'd do as I've probably said some questionable and proper edgelord things during the early days of social media.

It's hard to disagree with the firing but yes I too am uneasy with the possibility of the new normal being things you wrote years ago being used against you now. Whilst I hope I've never written anything racist, I'm sure I'd cringe at a lot of my old posts here if people went back through them. 

One minor irony here is that The Flash is owned by the same parent company who hired James Gunn for Suicide Squad after his infamous 'past dodgy tweets' affair. If we are heading in this direction it'd be nice to have at least some consistency in decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I don't know why when actors start to break through they don't just nuke their accounts and start again. That's what I'd do as I've probably said some questionable and proper edgelord things during the early days of social media.

I understand the tweets were deleted but, as ever, nothing is ever really deleted on the Internet. 

I haven't read the backdated tweets. Glass houses - not that i'm equating with anything out of ignorance.

But damn. I love Ralph. And I love the activism i've seen from him following his twitter the past few years. 

I guess it comes down to personal conflicts in the workplace. Dean Cain was shown the door and that was a long time coming, but this guy had a head on his shoulders.

I just read this thread and you guys made some good points. I was starting to think "You know what, they're right, cut this guy some slack" plus I do really like his character on the show.

But then I read a few of the tweets he he wrote and actually, it was pretty appalling. The mild tweet they quote in that article isn't really in keeping with the tone of the others. I'm not going to post them here because I don't think that would be right but you could find them easily enough if you wanted to. They aren't funny, just horrible. 

10 hours ago, makkuwata said:

I haven't read the backdated tweets. Glass houses - not that i'm equating with anything out of ignorance.

But damn. I love Ralph. And I love the activism i've seen from him following his twitter the past few years. 

I guess it comes down to personal conflicts in the workplace. Dean Cain was shown the door and that was a long time coming, but this guy had a head on his shoulders.

What was the Dean Cain issue? His absence on Supergirl is very conspicuous.

Full-on MAGA ass-hattery. I mean further than just having Republican political views, but going down the darker roads. 

I think the last straw may have been some anti-LGBTQ event and a row which ensued, which doesn’t really gel with a show which is very much pro. 

I'm a big fan of the Arrowverse- but all four's current seasons have been very weak. I've only seen up to Crisis for Batwoman and it's much the same quality, and now that they are writing the main character out I'm not sure if I have it in me to bother with the remaining 2/3rds of the season.

Admittedly each of the main four have had weak seasons in the past, but I don't recall all four (five now) being so bad at the same time. Unlikely to bother with Stargirl.

We've had to ignore strong Amazon and Netflix shows due to constant pressure to remove Sky One/Living shows from the V+ and Sky Boxes over the years so I think these current seasons might be a good jumping off point now.

Legends is a whole lot of fun still.

The rest haven't been as bad as they have been (last season of Supergirl and the Barry's kid season of Flash were disastrous), they're not exactly top tier television. We'll never reach the heights of Arrow season 2 again sadly.

I have the current season of Legends

saved up but am reluctant to watch it incase its shit. I havent watched Flash at all, not even Crisis this year as ive gone off it big time after loving it.

Is Constantine season 2 coming?

1 hour ago, McFly said:

saved up but am reluctant to watch it incase its shit. I havent watched Flash at all, not even Crisis this year as ive gone off it big time after loving it.

It feels like we are on Season 3 or 4 of Constantine by now!

15 hours ago, McFly said:

No Constantine got cancelled after one season (before it was folded into the Arrowverse). He's still a regular on Legends of Tomorrow and is banter with sidekick Gary is some of the best. In fact, they should do a season 2 with just those two going on crazy adventures.

Yeah, as much as I want all of these shows to continue...Legends is the only one that is beyond reproach. We're at the point with Supergirl/Flash where new contracts need to be negotiated. Let them each have one more season and die well. Then throw Brainy/Cisco/whoever into Legends for a season and let it be a show that goes on with old hands dipping in and out for a few months work.

Either Cisco. Legends is bonkers.

Yes, I think a cull could be on the horizon.  I enjoy superhero shows but the current crop are all quite similar, apart from Legends which is great. I've not seen Batwomen yet. 

I also think they struggle with the 22 episode seasons.  I'd also be up for keeping them all about but cutting them down to 10 eps a season and showing them throughout the year.  On any given week you could have the Flash, Batwomen, Legends, Supergirl and (in the past) Arrow to watch and that is a lot of superhero TV per week. 

They should also try the Marvel approch of making the series different in style, similar to how Captain America Winter Solider was a Superhero film masquerading as a cold war thriller.  The 90s Lois and Clark show really put the emphasis on the characters and less on the action and adventure which worked well.  When was the last time Supergirl really bothered dealing with Kara's job as a reporter?  

There’s just too many to keep up with, especially as they’re concurrent at the moment, and the crossover events annoy me. I never got going with Arrow, Supergirl, Legends or Batwoman, as I don’t have three-odd hours a week to keep on top of it all. My wife has zero interest in the genre, so my viewing time is limited to when I’m on my own. I agree with @McCoy - reduce the number of episodes, stagger the series to cover ten months of the year, and maybe instead of a multi-series crossover event do a standalone four or five-parter with all the characters, as an end of year finale. The situation with Infinite Earths and Sky not having Batwoman but having all the other shows was bloody stupid.

On 10/06/2020 at 16:13, Gambit said:

Legends is a whole lot of fun still.

The rest haven't been as bad as they have been (last season of Supergirl and the Barry's kid season of Flash were disastrous), they're not exactly top tier television. We'll never reach the heights of Arrow season 2 again sadly.

Legends just seems to lack focus these days, which is a shame.  Oh and those new credit sequence are bloody awful.

• 7 months later...

Flash, Batwoman, and Legends of Tomorrow are all renewed, and Superman & Lois is getting an extra two episodes in its first season:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/the-cw-renews-12-shows-2021-22-season

As the network plots a return to business as usual during the pandemic, The CW has picked up a dozen series for additional seasons: Newcomer Walker and veterans All American, Batwoman, Charmed, Dynasty, The Flash, In the Dark, Legacies, Legends of Tomorrow, Nancy Drew, Riverdale and Roswell, New Mexico. Five of those (Dynasty, The Flash, In the Dark, Legends and Roswell) have yet to premiere this season.

That leaves only first-year shows Superman & Lois, Kung Fu and The Republic of Sarah — which also haven't debuted yet — on the bubble as the Mark Pedowitz-led network, a joint venture between Warner Bros. TV and CBS Studios, awaits more information on them. It has, however, ordered two additional episodes of Superman & Lois, for a total of 15 this season, and five more episodes of Walker, bringing its tally to 18.

On 11/06/2020 at 12:12, Gambit said:

Oh, and there's the HBO Max Green Lantern series.

Are there good depictions of the Green Lanterns powers in the comics.  It always looks as goofy as anything in live action so far.

14 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Are there good depictions of the Green Lanterns powers in the comics.  It always looks as goofy as anything in live action so far.

Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern was some of the best super hero comics of the last 20 years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently I missed an entire season of this?!?

Settled down to watch the first episode and from the recap I was already lost - who the hell are all these people? Where are all the other people that used to be here? Errmmmm...

I think I may be better off just binning it now.