IGNORED

Halo 5: Guardians - Splitscreen inbound?

Floex

Is it just me, or are the graphics in the beta quite smudgy and low-res? Going straight from the Master Chief Collection to this really shows up how sharp the visuals are in the former.

Halo 4, that plucky and once unwanted 360 title that genuinely somehow manages to be one of the best looking games of the next-gen so far.

Anyway I was playing Halo 4's campaign last night and kept instinctively attempting to use the dash from Guardians. This is a good sign.

Yeah it has great potential but if they don't have transparent MM with choose a region im out. The game is great but when playing out of region it utterly sucks, so much so i've given up on it until release, or a couple of months after.

Please be good, make it so 343........

thats what I meant. Titanfall plays great, when I get killed it feels fair and induces no rage, on this I'm pumping shots into fools only to be one shorted which induces maximum rage and cursing at the screen. Cheap deaths, and a kill am that exposes the travesty as the hit marker is not even on me onscreen. Only a Beta I know and limited servers but still.

It's the worms technique, aim straight up with the homing middle at full power to turn it into an orbital strike!

As well as doing it vertically, you can aim it round corners in a more useful way by aiming it away from the corner it needs to turn.

Now I've played enough of this with a couple of other people who all know the names of different areas and are coordinating as a team, it just feels about perfect. It's pretty awful going into a team of randoms, the whole thing hinges on communication and careful coordinated play (or that's how it seems to be working for me). I think this game will give me the closest experience to Halo2 back in the day. I say that after hoping to get that with Halo2 in MCC but it's not happened. I guess people change and move on. I think 343 have absolutely nailed it with this take on Halo. There are some niggles, but I'd quite happily buy this game as is and get over them. Well, I'd want a few more maps and matchmaking to be a bit more reliable.

I just hope they don't take on too much player feedback regarding gameplay over the next year. It's a shame how disappointed some people are but anyone who thinks it plays like COD needs to go play COD and then go back and try Halo 5 and then play Halo2 and then play COD and then play Halo5 and then play Halo2 and then Halo5 and then COD and then Halo5 and then COD and then Halo5 and then Halo5 and then Halo5 and then have a cup of tea/coffee (your choice).

It's great but something still feels slightly off with the aiming. And this being a 343 beta if you get chucked on a US server it can be incredibly frustrating.

There's something there though, BTB on bigger maps is going to be something excellent in the full version. Do we get new maps tonight?

Played a few games and it handles well (aside from some controller confusion), but my worst fears appear to be apparent.

What 343 don't understand is the simple core mechanic that absolutely defines what makes Halo special - not the maps, not the vehicles, not the weapons - it's simply the longer lasting shield. Nothing more.

Having a long lasting shield means that hiding and recharging actually meant something. I see very little point having a recharging shield in Guardians if every single engagement is over within a bullet or two. There's no 'dance' anymore - every encounter is over within 1 second. Clearly a game crafted by a group who play COD.

Halo's long lasting shield meant that every player would engage in a cat and mouse chase - a battle between players could last up to 10 seconds, and in every second you had a decision to make - fight or try and hide - figuring out who had the upper hand. And it was glorious.

Guardians (from my limited time on it) just appear to be a game of who can hold a reticle steady over a moving target for 2 seconds. Shields are pointless, recharging is pointless.

The fix is simple - make the shields lasts longer, but something tells me we're in a different FPS era now.

Shame really, the presentation is superb (I love all the spectacle they've added to it), but unless someone at 343 suddenly realises what the core Halo mechanic is, it's doubtful I'll be as engrossed with Multiplayer as I was through the Halo 2/3 years.

Sounds depressing.