Halo 5: Guardians - Splitscreen inbound?

Floex

That was actually something they fished out of the deep pre-history of Halo - judging from some of the more obscure pre-release, pre-Xbox, promotional material for Halo, the game was originally supposed to involve that kind of re-discovery of ancient human colonies. So in a way, it's not so bad, in that it is based on Bungie's own material, but yeah, it sits really strangely with the rest of the universe.

I don't think it fits strangely at all. I mean thematically and narratively it's absolutely fine. Halo IS an insanely grand space opera with long dead civilisations, galactic wars, life-destroying super weapons and so on. The later details are just another part of the same picture.

The problem with that side of the back story is the way it is left to Halo 4 to do loads of heavy lifting with it (because it hasn't been addressed clearly in the games as opposed to all the EU stuff) - and it does very badly at doing so.

Most of that story is told in an absolutely gigantic and clunky exposition dump midway through the game. I'm not usually one to complain about lore and I love Halo (although not keen on 4 as noted previously) but I was very much taken aback by how clumsily that story was delivered.

I actually think that on its own merits its great classic sci-fi stuff - but the way they told that story was poor.

I don't think it fits strangely at all. I mean thematically and narratively it's absolutely fine. Halo IS an insanely grand space opera with long dead civilisations, galactic wars, life-destroying super weapons and so on. The later details are just another part of the same picture.

The problem with that side of the back story is the way it is left to Halo 4 to do loads of heavy lifting with it (because it hasn't been addressed clearly in the games as opposed to all the EU stuff) - and it does very badly at doing so.

Most of that story is told in an absolutely gigantic and clunky exposition dump midway through the game. I'm not usually one to complain about lore and I love Halo (although not keen on 4 as noted previously) but I was very much taken aback by how clumsily that story was delivered.

I actually think that on its own merits its great classic sci-fi stuff - but the way they told that story was poor.

I do kind of like it in a grand, space opera kind of way, yeah, but I think it just seems weird to introduce it so late in the series. If the first three games had been building towards that revelation, then sure, great, but the way they introduced it and the way that it came so late means it feels like a weird bolt-on to the lore rather than an integral part of it.

That was actually something they fished out of the deep pre-history of Halo - judging from some of the more obscure pre-release, pre-Xbox, promotional material for Halo, the game was originally supposed to involve that kind of re-discovery of ancient human colonies.

Sounds familiar...

I still have no idea how Cortana is supposed to have saved the Chief from that giant explosion at the end of Halo 4. Is that a book thing?

I do kind of like it in a grand, space opera kind of way, yeah, but I think it just seems weird to introduce it so late in the series. If the first three games had been building towards that revelation, then sure, great, but the way they introduced it and the way that it came so late means it feels like a weird bolt-on to the lore rather than an integral part of it.

Well I agree mostly - see my point about leaving so much heavy lifting to just one title (Halo 4) and that when attempting to lift that weight the game stumbled pretty badly. I say I mostly agree just because I think it's legit for them to take an entirely new direction with the story and that ultimately if Bungie hadn't given it attention in the past (which makes sense, it wasn't the story they were telling) they can't go back in a time machine and fix that. It's not 343's fault as it were.

I mean its obvious that they needed a new plot to hang a new trilogy on and i'm fine with them bringing to the fore a story that hasn't been explored in the previous games - that makes sense. And I do think that the new story fits perfectly well with the established universe, themes etc and clearly it has been addressed at least partially in the EU. I like that there's a deeper story and again it makes sense because as with real history the further you look back the more baffling wonders you discover.

But as I said even allowing 343 for the lack of their time machine to correct for an OVERT mention of this part of the story in the previous games then a heavy responsibility obviously falls upon them for really taking time and effort to make sure this previous unheard of lore is explained carefully and fully.

The problem is that it isn't. It's delivered in a clunky and overwhelming way. Most of it is communicated to the player in a long simultaneously ponderous and dense cutscene where major revelation follows major revelation and the delivery is unhelpfully quick and bit vague. It sat very poorly with me.

So again I don't think its the story at fault but the cack-handed delivery of it. Going into Halo 4 I would hope it would be obvious to everyone that there was going to be major new mystery and trilogy-defining event to explore and by definition it would not be something we were overly familiar with.

What's strange here is that this is a thread for a new Halo game and i'm not excited at all. I really just...didn't enjoy 4 all that much.

That's something I'm still surprised by, but there it is.

Same, although I played through immediately on Legendary and the grind killed it as much as the deciphering of what was going on.

Recently played through on normal and really enjoyed it however, but not like a bungie Halo — but that could be a mind thing.

Maybe that other Spartan/Guardian is Cortana.

I kind of took this sort of thing as a given as soon as H4 made a thing about the prometheans being people who'd had their minds digitised and then put into synthetic constructs. Probably MC will find a machine and bung it in reverse.

What's strange here is that this is a thread for a new Halo game and i'm not excited at all. I really just...didn't enjoy 4 all that much.

Same, hopefully the lack of excitement is because we all knew it was coming and a subtitle and boxart aren't quite as good as a fancy new nextgen trailer would have been.

I kind of took this sort of thing as a given as soon as H4 made a thing about the prometheans being people who'd had their minds digitised and then put into synthetic constructs. Probably MC will find a machine and bung it in reverse.

It might be Sarah Palmer from the cutscenes in 4, maybe? They've got an ONI logo on their armour:

inU3ksdLoNnrR.png

Hasn't the whole forerunner human war thing been in Halo from the start? Guilty Spark 343 refered to Master Chief as "reclaimer" in Halo:CE, the Covenant civil war in Halo 2 during which the elites learned of the incorrect translation of the prohpecy, several logs in Halo 3, and I'm sure it was known about pre Halo 4 according to the lore sites. Seems like 343 just ran with it, embellishing it somewhat.

When 343 took over Bungie would have passed them internal info about lore etc wouldn't they? Microsoft lawyers would have seen to that surely?

It was more implied that humans existed and the Forerunners saved them and everything else from the Flood, but it didn't really get into the spacefaring military empire of man existing five hundred million years prior to 2552 or whatever.

EDIT: Also I dunno how you embed tweets but here:

For everyone speculating about the mysterious Spartan in Halo 5: Guardians, he’s not Palmer (or Cortana!). He’s a NEW character. :)

Not at all, everybody got bored of shooting bullet sponge Elites a long time ago!

Don't be daft. Anybody who loves Halo would love a return of the original Elites.

Oh, bullet sponges you say? I see you're not all that familiar with the game then. Carry on.

That report lines up with information leaked on the gaming forum NeoGAF earlier this year by user ntkrnl, who said that Halos 2, 3 and 4 would all get HD re-releases within the same year as Halo 5's release.

I'm convinced.

that Microsoft think Halo will sell bones.

ps. who's buying halo for a third time?

Whereas I loved Halo 4...but I can't get excited either. May be because it is over a year away, may be because that I'd have to buy an Xbiox One to play it and I haven't been happy with what Microsoft has been doing with it. There is literally nothing else I want to play on that machine (I have Titanfall on PC)...or the PS4 for that matter.

This is how I felt about Halo 4 and I still haven't played it. I dunno what happened because I really enjoyed the first 3 and I spent many hours playing both the co-op campaigns and online multi player both on Xbox and PC. But after ODST (which I found boring) and Reach, I was completely Halo'd out.

I remember getting goosebumps watching the Halo 3 reveal, where the Banshee flies over Mastercheifs head, the camera spins round to reveal the big spaceship and the Halo music kicks in. For whatever reason though the announcment of Halo 4 didn't give me those same feelings Halo 3 did and I just never bothered with it.

I wish Halo 5 was enough to warrant me maybe getting an XB1 (like MK8 has done with the WiiU) because it's been a series I've for the most part loved. Maybe one day I'll play Halo 4 and it'll bring back the love I had for the series, but at the moment it just bores me a little and that's a massive shame.

Don't be daft. Anybody who loves Halo would love a return of the original Elites.

Oh, bullet sponges you say? I see you're not all that familiar with the game then. Carry on.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic and I agree that the Elites are a great enemy to fight I just have terrible recollections of trying to defeat the Elites at the start of the Halo 2 campaign on Heroic and finding them damn near impossible.

Also I enjoyed Halo 4 and found the Promethean Knights a nice change from the usual Covenant baddies (although they were real Bullet Sponges but nothing a few well placed sniper shots wouldn't sort out).

Sorry, I was being sarcastic and I agree that the Elites are a great enemy to fight I just have terrible recollections of trying to defeat the Elites at the start of the Halo 2 campaign on Heroic and finding them damn near impossible.

Also I enjoyed Halo 4 and found the Promethean Knights a nice change from the usual Covenant baddies (although they were real Bullet Sponges but nothing a few well placed sniper shots wouldn't sort out).

Oh, right, apologies then, I thought you were being serious!

As for those Elites at the start of Halo 2, I presume you're talking about the hangars in the space station. Well, all you really needed was to keep your BR stocked and a Plasma Pistol from one of the hundreds of Grunts. It was easy pickings then.