Halo 5: Guardians - Splitscreen inbound?

Floex

I still have no idea how Cortana is supposed to have saved the Chief from that giant explosion at the end of Halo 4. Is that a book thing?

I think she [somehow] manipulates the hard-light bridge they're standing on in such a way that it [somehow] wraps around Chief and forms a nuke-proof shield. :sherlock:

(Even though he's touching the bomb when it goes off...)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Master Chief Collection thread has recently been a bit derailed by people fretting over whether aim-down-sights means that 343 are making Halo 5 too COD-ified.

I must object: all that moaning belongs here instead!

Halo 5 Beta viddoc.

B-Roll footage

Pro exhibition game played on the Guardians beta. There are plenty of non-scoped kills. Iron sights don't seem to be anything other than cosmetic and these guys certainly don't rely on them :)

The main thing I didn't like from the b-roll footage was the CoD-style character voices that react to the onscreen action. Hopefully they're optional though.

As for aim down sights, it's worth highlighting this bit of clarification from one of the developers:

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/531541844178792448

No penalty to hip fire in H5, no movement penalty when scoping/zooming, no flinch.

So it seems that Halo 5's "Smart Scope" aim-down-sights is just a graphical effect that plays no differently from the series' usual method of depicting zoomed aiming. The frame of the gun and sights would obscure your peripheral vision a bit more than a simple blue crosshair reticle does - but it could be worse!

A lot of players said that the variable loadouts of Reach and Halo 4 meant that different players were put on an uneven playing field - it would be unpredictable what armour abilities you'd be up against next. I didn't have a problem with that, but I do welcome 343's decision to make everything accessible to everyone at all times. (My issue was that in Halo 4, I seemed to spend longer tweaking my loadouts in the menus than I did playing the game - I preferred the more limited, standardised loadouts in Reach.)

I don't really see the point of having to hit a button to climb up a ledge; I prefer the simplicity of either making a jump, or judging it wrong and falling. I'm also a bit concerned that the controls might be a bit overcrowded, with the different functions when you're boosting and when you're not.

Melee becomes a shoulder-barge sort of attack when you're boosting? :o

In those videos, it looks like the map that takes place inside a Covenant ship is a remake of Zealot from Halo Reach - a circular, symmetrical map with a bridge across the centre. That was by far my least favourite map in Reach. :( ah, scratch that - watching a bit of the match video linked to by PhilG, the map seems closer to Midship than to Zealot.

Hopefully this will recapture the magic of Halo 2 - looks awesome. I think the main thing that 343's gameplay misses is the ranking system. Halo 2's was, for me, perfect. Sure, it caused a lot of arguments, but you always had that 'just one more' feeling after each match, in an attempt to win the next 'rank'.

And Halo 4 had too many medals, rendering most meaningless.

• 1 month later...

Been playing it and so far it feels a little dated still. Halo 2 was amazing back in the day but if anything Halo:MCC has taught me it was something of its time and has been surpassed by games like TitanFall. This really feels like Halo X Cod, which Reach already was becoming. The dash move is nice but like COD:AW will require practise but it still has all the same old Halo problems of old, its a little clunky with you sometimes grabbing ledges and sometimes not, turning speed feels a bit slow, melee attacks don't always kill even on the 2nd hit and distance gunplay feels a bit haphazard especially as the kill cam clearly shows their shots missing but you dieing.

The game is still a lot like classic Halo, although deaths seem to come quicker now, kick back on guns seems higher and you have a bit too much to worry about now with multiple shield regens and boost abilities to worry about.

Its still fun, but TitanFall really does feel so much better, super smooth and fun with this not matching its perfection. Of course theres still plenty of time to tweak things and its a really nice evolution of Halo multiplayer without losing that Halo feel but i've moved on.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Put about 4 hours into it today with a few folks from here and had an absolute blast - the time just vanished and that's a sure sign for me they're onto something. I don't like the whole Esports angle much but in terms of mechanics and how solid everything felt it's totally different class. I really hope the full beta has a few big vehicular maps so we can get a look at all that stuff and it's not just endless TDM.

Lots to learn - shoulder charging, ground sliding, ground pounding, sprint->jump->dashing - they all massively mix up the gameplay. Loved revisiting midship too. They need to tone down the bloom on the sword though it's mental :D

They've got the best part of a year to refine this and given they're providing 7 maps just for the beta I'm beginning to wonder exactly how much content is going to be in there next November.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Put about 4 hours into it today with a few folks from here and had an absolute blast - the time just vanished and that's a sure sign for me they're onto something. I don't like the whole Esports angle much but in terms of mechanics and how solid everything felt it's totally different class. I really hope the full beta has a few big vehicular maps so we can get a look at all that stuff and it's not just endless TDM.

Lots to learn - shoulder charging, ground sliding, ground pounding, sprint->jump->dashing - they all massively mix up the gameplay. Loved revisiting midship too. They need to tone down the bloom on the sword though it's mental :D

They've got the best part of a year to refine this and given they're providing 7 maps just for the beta I'm beginning to wonder exactly how much content is going to be in there next November.

Doesn't matter, you'll have moved on to something else by December anyway.