Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

1 minute ago, Darren said:

What’s the best order for a newbie to play these? Release order or story order? The MCC menu seems to be in chronological order with Reach first. I was planning to start with the original but now I’m not sure.

Wait until tomorrow’s update..

I would defi play Halo first, skip 2....

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Wait until tomorrow’s update..

I would defi play Halo first, skip 2....

Halo 2 is - excuse the pun - infinitely better in its remastered version than it ever was before. I found myself enjoying it when I finally got around to replaying them all a couple of years back. 

But yeah, if you're gonna skip any of them, that's the one to do. Although I would recommend watching the new cutscenes as they are pretty spectacular pieces of CGI.

I was so underwhelmed by Reach at first. Aging visuals and some identical emu things running round a rather barren landscape. 45 hours later and it just keeps on throwing new, varied and unique things at me. I also re-calibrated my TV and OneX properly so the visuals now really pop.

My play order over the decades has been Halo, Halo 3, ODST and now Reach. Still never played 2. Tried 5 briefly and nearly went blind. Know absolutely nothing about 4.

I'd do release order to start with for sure. Halo > Halo 2 > Halo 3 > ODST > Reach

Reach is a prequel, and as such was meant to be played with the knowledge of what comes afterwards. You don't need to to enjoy it, but as a game it was also made with the experience of the others and they'd probably feel a little underwhelming if you played Reach first.

I enjoyed Halo 4, and it probably still looks gorgeous too, but it was 343's first original Halo FPS and feels like it too. Halo 5 was worse.

Just looked at known issues for Series X|S https://support.halowaypoint.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052059432

The following are active issues for Series X|S enhancements as of 2020/11/17 in build 1.1955.0.0.  

- When playing Halo: Combat Evolved’s campaign with Anniversary graphics enabled on an Xbox Series X console and at 4K 120Hz, the framerate may drop noticeably in some areas and/or create noticeable screen tearing 

- If the display supports variable refresh rate (VRR), enabling this feature may reduce the impact of this issue 

- If the display does not support VRR, playing at 60Hz will provide a smoother gameplay experience 

- On both Xbox Series X|S consoles, increasing the Gamma option above 5 may result in oversaturation of darker areas in the menus and gameplay

Thankfully my TV doesn't support 120hz at 4K!!

31 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I fancied playing Reach as I've not played it before but if I install it it doesn't appear on my list of games. 

Do you have to have the full MCC installed first and then Reach as an add on? 

Yes, there are a few games like this and it's quite confusing.

In the store or game pass app there will be two versions, with no obvious sign which is which. If you select them, one has some blurb describing it (this is the base version) and the other has an "included in this package" or similar section where the blurb would be. In that list is the base version plus extra items (in this case ODST and Reach) which are normally about 10MB each.

I presume you can install the base version and extras individually and get the same result, but yes you need both the full game plus extras to use the add-ons.

54 minutes ago, FlowerOfInfinity said:

Just looked at known issues for Series X|S https://support.halowaypoint.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052059432

Thankfully my TV doesn't support 120hz at 4K!!

The enhancement list looks pretty good and I can’t wait to give things a go. 

4K 60fps in split screen should be lovely. The screen tearing on not VRR displays seems pretty standard at the moment. It seems that the consoles are ahead of the curve on the tech at the moment. 

I am just starting to go through these after finishing 1, 2 and ODST back in the day playing on normal difficultly.  As per thread title I assume its better played at a higher difficulty but is it pretty tough (easily frustrated by difficulty spikes) or it plays a better game?

For what it's worth I'm playing 2 on normal and that's fine. I'm ploughing through and it's taken a couple of sessions to get just over half way through. 

The reason being is there's a lot of Halo for me to get through and I don't want to slow myself down, but as I near the latter games I might go harder. But to be honest it's still a fair enough challenge to be interesting.

If you go in guns blazing thinking you're immortal you'll end up dying very very quickly, so just enough covering, waiting for shields. I think it's set right for me. 

If you have nothing else to play maybe it's a waste to go too easy but I've also got forza, yakuza and star wars squadrons on the go! 

16 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I am just starting to go through these after finishing 1, 2 and ODST back in the day playing on normal difficultly.  As per thread title I assume its better played at a higher difficulty but is it pretty tough (easily frustrated by difficulty spikes) or it plays a better game?

It plays a better game. I played the original and Halo 3 through on Legendary back in the day, but overall I find Heroic to be the sweet spot. It gives you enough of a challenge that you can't just plough through encounters without thinking, but it doesn't hold me up with any real difficulty spikes.

I'd maybe consider just sticking with Normal for Halo 2 though, which has a couple of encounters that are just hugely frustrating on anything higher. Those bloody snipers for instance...

Ultimately though just play whatever's fun for you. If you start on Heroic but find it too frustrating, then there's nothing stopping you from just dropping down to Normal.

Replaying Halo 2 is quite interesting, in terms of just how ambitious the game is - especially if you compare it to Halo 3. Like, the first level of Halo 2 is set on a huge space station that incorporates an integral railgun, with fully animated mechanisms that move whole sections of the level geometry. The station is fully modelled, and you can pretty much explore the whole thing. The next couple of levels are in a city with an absolutely vast alien war machine that crawls over the entire level, which you can even board and walk around on. The next level after that is a fully-modelled alien structure that you can fly around in a banshee, and land at any point. After that is a level on Delta Halo that takes you round the circumference of a lake, with all the structures you play in visible from every other point. It goes on like this, with nearly every level being madly expansive.

Compare that to Halo 3. The first level is in a close, claustrophobic jungle, with the occasional building or river section. The second level is a series of brown corridors. The third is more open, but still fairly linear. Some of the later levels have the same level of ambition as Halo 2, but they're in the minority. It's easy to see why they made that choice, as the pace, flow, and moment-to-moment fun of Halo 3 is on a level above that of Halo 2, but it's still fascinating to see how far Bungie tried to push the game on an original Xbox. 

I downloaded this for the first time with my Series X last week and was waiting for todays update to jump in and after a quick blast on 1 and 2, they really do still look magnificent.

Quick question, are Reach and ODST not part of the MCC then? It's asking me to buy them off the store as extras. They're cheap as chips and will pick them up if so but I thought you got everything on GPU?

10 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

They're DLC for the Master Chief Collection. Check the Store.

They are part of the MCC. You might have to download them separately on the store for some reason but describing these vast stand-alone games as DLC is pushing reality somewhat.

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

They are part of the MCC and always have been. You might have to download them separately on the store for some reason but describing these vast stand-alone games as DLC is pushing reality somewhat.

What are you on about? I'm not passing comment on the games themselves. ODST and Reach are listed as DLC on the Microsoft Store for the Master Chief Collection and was stating why a Game Pass subscriber might not be able to access them without paying.

ODST was definitely a paid upgrade, although I remember people getting for free at some point?