IGNORED

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

This is a better video than the one above for demonstrating the issues with the Halo 1’s original visuals in Halo MCC. A lot of the differences are still extremely subtle, but the video illustrates them more clearly. And the guy has a less annoying voice. 

Reach has so much more detail in Splitscreen on Series X :wub: On 360/One it stripped out a whole load of textures, foliage, reflections etc when playing splitscreen.   

I’ve been playing it regularly in Splitscreen with my girlfriend since 2010 and I really noticed the difference. Worth the price of a Series X alone! 

The anniversary edition does improve a lot of stuff but it completely changes the atmosphere of a load of key scenes and that's unforgiveable really. You're no longer really playing the same game at that point. The Halo 2 remaster shows how it should have been done, it's very respectful to the original (flaws and all).

I wonder if they will ever go back and remaster their remaster? They've clearly got the willingness to keep tinkering with this stuff.

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I'm I the only one that prefers the anniversary make over? I know its not allowed but I just can't be doing with Halo 1's OG graphics in 2021.... 😱

Yes you are. Now go and have a good think about what you’ve just said.

Cue everyone on RLLMUK saying they prefer them now! 😀

39 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I wonder if they will ever go back and remaster their remaster? They've clearly got the willingness to keep tinkering with this stuff.

I really hope so, because the Anniversary graphics on CE are terrible.

Even ignoring the lack of attention paid to artistic intent, the thing which made me write off the 'enhanced' graphics as an option was that they reduced/removed the visual effect when you pop an elite's shield, which made judging the moment to change to a kinetic weapon/go in for melee far harder.

That, and generally making enemies stand out less from the environment thanks to overall desaturation, which made tracking foes in your peripheral vision/on a quick sweep harder than it needed to be. Graphical 'improvements' which make a game with perfectly gauged difficulty harder to read? No thanks!

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Even ignoring the lack of attention paid to artistic intent, the thing which made me write off the 'enhanced' graphics as an option was that they reduced/removed the visual effect when you pop an elite's shield, which made judging the moment to change to a kinetic weapon/go in for melee far harder.

That, and generally making enemies stand out less from the environment thanks to overall desaturation, which made tracking foes in your peripheral vision/on a quick sweep harder than it needed to be. Graphical 'improvements' which make a game with perfectly gauged difficulty harder to read? No thanks!

The shield pop visual effect is still there, it's just very, very hard to see... to the degree that they might as well have removed it. 

In contrast, with the original graphics, the Elite shields can be seen from miles away, as it is such a crucial mechanic to the game. 

Another thing that is just so, so bad is all the added foliage which makes seeing the weapon pick ups on the ground super hard. It's so bad. 

Also, the fact that the new graphics often don't line up correctly with the collision mesh. 

It's just so fucking bad, to the point that it's - for me - the archetypal example of completely ruining the original intent with an ill-advised "upgrade".

It's quite surprising that the same guys - Saber Interactive - developed Halo 2 Anniversary which is great!

The first anniversary game reeks of Microsoft Game Studios intervention and them not understanding the original game at all. 

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Also, the fact that the new graphics often don't line up correctly with the collision mesh. 

Besides the aesthetic mess, this is the big one for me. You can be stood behind a tree lining up a charged plasma shot, only for it to fizzle out right in front of your face because the collision mesh is different.

It definitely needs a re-remake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halo 3 seems pretty challenging (on Heroic). I got killed by the first Scarab about fifty times before I finally took it down. I also seem to get blown up, knocked on the head and generally thrown about quite a lot, like I'm fighting against physics engine as well as the enemies. The vehicle levels do feel like a proper battlefield is raging around me, which is quite nice. Ammo seems a little scarcer but maybe I'm imagining it.

I don't remember much about this game at all, it's weird. I must have only played it once back in the day. Yeah, I remember the Brutes and their armour that falls off. I vaguely recall the Cortana visions. I'd forgotten that the Arbiter joins you most of the time. I didn't remember Jackal snipers coming back, nor the Flood returning. Why the Flood again, why?!

It's pretty good, though. Looks a bit rough nowadays, particularly the characters:

Spoiler

2007-graphics.thumb.jpg.73791a730d9b572a456f1c537fff20d7.jpg

Ahh... 2007 graphics. :blink:

Two outstanding levels near the end, 'The Ark' and 'The Covenant'. Large-scale action, taking down Scarabs, riding in tanks, lots of variety and nice scenery. Then there's 'Cortana', a tedious level in which The Flood take on horrific (and irritating) new forms, but it ends with a team-up with the Arbiter. And then 'Halo', which is a riot, and the Warthog end run is a pretty epic way to wrap up the game once again.

This has been good. :)

I finished Halo 4 for, I think, the third time last night.  I played it when it came out, then a year or so ago when I got an Xbox One and started it again more recently on the Series X.  I found I enjoyed it more with each playthrough.  Some of the levels in 4 are excellent, namely the ones which are mainly Covenant.  'Composer' (on the Ivanoff Research Station) was absolutely superb.

21 minutes ago, Dapple said:

I finished Halo 4 for, I think, the third time last night.  I played it when it came out, then a year or so ago when I got an Xbox One and started it again more recently on the Series X.  I found I enjoyed it more with each playthrough.  Some of the levels in 4 are excellent, namely the ones which are mainly Covenant.  'Composer' (on the Ivanoff Research Station) was absolutely superb.

Yeah I played it recently and loved it, only the last level or two were a bit crap but the rest is top drawer. 

4 was definitely a series highlight when I played them all again recently, if anything I prefer the tone and the art style to Bungie's games. Yeah, I know. The Composer level is indeed absolutely stonking. Peak Halo.

I've just started playing Reach as it is the first one in the list. I've only ever played the first part of Halo 1 when it came out. Am I in for a treat playing all these from start to finish?

59 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I've just started playing Reach as it is the first one in the list. I've only ever played the first part of Halo 1 when it came out. Am I in for a treat playing all these from start to finish?

Yes! Personally I'd recommend that someone playing them for the first time should play them in release order, so you can see how the series developed over time. Reach is a great game, but playing it first might mean that when you get to CE, you'll miss actions like vehicle hijacking. Also, Reach might give you a misleading impression of how the Hunter enemies behave (they're more dangerous in Reach than in CE/2/3).

What difficulty have you picked? If you're fairly experienced with FPS games, you might find Normal too much of a cakewalk. So I'd recommend starting on Heroic for a reasonable challenge, and seeing how you get on with that.

Then when you finish the game, before moving onto the next one, pick whatever was your favourite level and try replaying it on Legendary. You might prefer the extra challenge and different style of play it requires!

On 21/06/2021 at 15:52, Dapple said:

Much like 5, I've found that they get better with each run through! Although I do think Reach is my fave. Pretty much everything about that game is awesome in my view. Just the soundtrack alone gets the old juices pumping. Kind of.

I love how much fun you can have with the whole set though - cherry picking whatever particular level takes your fancy. All of the games have wonderful stand-out missions that have rarely been bettered really. 

I’ve just started a new run through Halo 4 because of the praise in here and I was wondering if it’d had a load of visual improvements? I can’t believe that what I’m seeing was originally a 360 game. Bonkers.

Anyway, I’m only a few levels in so far and I’m enjoying it, although the Prometheans are still as shit to fight as I remember. Luckily I’ve just got to a level when the Covenant have reappeared, so hopefully it won’t be as Promethean focussed from here (my memory of it is sketchy to say the least).

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I’ve just started a new run through Halo 4 because of the praise in here and I was wondering if it’d had a load of visual improvements? I can’t believe that what I’m seeing was originally a 360 game. Bonkers.

Just a higher res and locked 60fps as far as I'm aware. Does the game have auto-HDR on it now? Not sure if it had any HDR on original release (was it even a thing back then). 

It is a stunning looking game in all sorts of ways - only thing that they sacrificed at the time was texture quality, which is a little rough around the edges, but not exactly a problem when you're zooming around the place killing things.

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

Just a higher res and locked 60fps as far as I'm aware. Does the game have auto-HDR on it now? Not sure if it had any HDR on original release (was it even a thing back then). 

It is a stunning looking game in all sorts of ways - only thing that they sacrificed at the time was texture quality, which is a little rough around the edges, but not exactly a problem when you're zooming around the place killing things.

Maybe it does have auto HDR. It definitely wasn’t a thing back on release. Either way, it looks amazing and just shows how much work Infinite needs.

I seem to remember weapons disappearing if you moved too far away as well, but I haven’t come across that yet.

I was going to start Halo 4 tonight but there's a big update downloading and it's getting late now. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm quite excited, as I haven't played that one before.

EDIT: Ah, it's the 'season 7' update, the one with the Halo 1 original visual fixes. Huzzah!

I've enjoyed Reach the most so far. Just an incredibly well-balanced and consistently entertaining FPS. A marvellous way to get back into the genre after several years not really playing them.

I still feel a bit weird playing all of these with a PlayStation controller.

It's nice to play through the original game with the newly-fixed visuals, although to be completely honest, I would have struggled to notice if I didn't know it had changed. The most obvious difference is that the doors in AotC don't have that washed-out untextured look, but it's good to know that this is closer to what the original game looked like.

I would really love it if they included scanline options so you could play it as it actually looked back in the day, but I recognise this is very much a niche view.

Weirdly, the "fixed" sky in Assault on the Control Room is inconsistent - sometimes you get the mist and whiteout, sometimes you get that jagged black outline.

I’ve just finished a heroic run through Halo 4 and you know what? I actually enjoyed it. It’s still not up there with Bungie’s efforts and, as far as I can remember, Halo 5 was a bit of a backwards step, but it’s definitely left me optimistic for Infinite.

I might actually have another run through 5 at some point, to see how I feel about it now. Hopefully I’ll appreciate it more like I have done with 4.

I finished 5 (again) just now. I picked up an old save point part-way through the game after finishing 4 the other day.

I found the revive mechanic really frustrating. I'm not sure if it's actually the case but it felt like it was easier to have your shields depleted, with the intention that it's balanced out by teammates being able to revive you. But it constantly interrupted the flow of the game and it was often hit or miss as to whether anyone was close enough to save me.

Otherwise there's plenty to like, but that alone was enough to spoil things for me.