IGNORED

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

Noticing a lot of audio issues in single player (Halo: CE) which is a shame. There was one moment during the Silent Cartographer where the awesome Halo music started playing, only for it to stop, then start again ten seconds later. And when the flood first appeared the audio for my assault rifle just dropped completely.

It does make me laugh that we were all up in arms over Microsofts always online plan for Xbox One yet here we are, with games like this, AC: Unity and Evil Within need day one patches and beyond to actually fix them.

Noticing a lot of audio issues in single player (Halo: CE) which is a shame. There was one moment during the Silent Cartographer where the awesome Halo music started playing, only for it to stop, then start again ten seconds later. And when the flood first appeared the audio for my assault rifle just dropped completely.

It does make me laugh that we were all up in arms over Microsofts always online plan for Xbox One yet here we are, with games like this, AC: Unity and Evil Within need day one patches and beyond to actually fix them.

I agree, it sounds shambolic.

Good article here talking about The Evil Within and how some games being that bad at launch, and really requiring some kind of patch, goes some way to approaching the always online scenario that a lot of people rejected:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-prepatch-evil-within-we-hope-you-will-never-play

The pre-patch Evil Within we hope you'll never play

Is an internet connection now mandatory for single-player games too?

I'm not say MCC is anywhere near as bad as that but it does surprise me that such a big marquee title has so many bugs.

Id like to take a moment to address the state of matchmaking in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and tell you what were doing about it.

Players have expressed frustration at poor matchmaking times, or bad experiences in general. This is something we are working 24/7 to isolate and fix. Since launch, we have done a number of daily server-side tweaks to improve this experience and our data indicates these adjustments have helped considerably, but the state is still far from where it needs to be.

Over the past 48 hours, we believe we have identified the primary matchmaking issue, and are working on a solution right now. In the meantime, well be rolling out additional tweaks over the next days to further improve the experience while we ready this solution. We are monitoring the data and working on tweaks that should continue to improve your matchmaking experience while we prep. In addition, well be releasing a game Content Update tomorrow that will address non-matchmaking related issues. For more details, please visit our support FAQ on our forums that is being updated in real-time: http://www.aka.ms/TMCC.

An additional measure you will see take effect today, is that weve decided to trim the hopper list to allow us to drive population to those that are functioning the best this will serve to further increase the speed with which you find games. We will bring the other hoppers back online as things improve, but our primary focus right now is getting you into matches. For details on which matchmaking playlists are being temporarily taken offline, please visit our support FAQ here: http://www.aka.ms/TMCC.

We are doing everything we can on an hourly basis to improve the experience, while we work on our solution. In the meantime, weve found a few things looking at the data that can help you a little as well. Were seeing successful match times from anywhere from 15 seconds to 4 minutes. 4 minutes is a long time to wait for a match, but dont quit out too quickly as it will come. If you havent found a match within about 4 minutes, please exit the search and restart, as this will reset the parameters and increase the likelihood of entering a match. I realize this isnt ideal, but its temporary while we sort things out.

Id like to personally apologize to you all for the current situation. I can assure you were attacking this from all directions from 343 Industries to the Xbox platform, and we wont rest until its what it should be. People are reporting improvements across the board, which is great, but were not backing down until we finish this fight.

Heres a bit more information on what to expect next week in terms of MCC updates:

Daily server-side tweaks to continue to improve time to get into games

A Content Update tomorrow that addresses some campaign fixes and scoring issues

Content Updates and server side tweaks over the next week focused on matchmaking

Dan Ayoub

Executive Producer

Wasn't there some kind of frame rate-related bug in the PAL version of original Halo? I seem to remember that there was judder because it didn't work properly in PAL60, or something like that.

Yes. As I understand it, the issue was:

- The best PAL conversions could come about when the internal "tick rate" of the engine's core calculations was independent of the rendering framerate. Then the rendering could take place at either 50Hz or 60Hz (depending on what was selected on the console dashboard, or a splash screen displayed upon booting the game, as Sega did for most of their Dreamcast games), without affecting the game's speed.

- But Halo didn't work like that. Bungie's Halo engine was linked to the rendering framerate, so it responded to running in 50Hz mode by slowing down to five-sixths its normal rate. To compensate, they scaled up the parameters for things like walking speed, gravity, in-game timers, and firing rates, so that the in-game motion would be correct.

This post is one of the only times I've ever seen a Bungie developer comment on the matter (a 2002 thread from someone wondering why PAL and NTSC games/consoles are not compatible over LAN):

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive5.pl?read=100138

When we started work on the PAL version, it ran much, much slower than its NTSC counterpart. Basically, Halo always assumed it was running in NTSC (updating 30 times per second) which meant that under PAL (updating 25 times per second) everything took longer. Much longer. So we had to manually adjust the tags, basically compensating for PAL slowdown by making certain things faster.

- This was fine when playing it in PAL50 Hz; you got a game that played at pretty much the same speed as as the NTSC version, but at 25fps instead of 30fps. (Not exactly the same speed though, there were some slight differences in firing rates and falling damage and so on - differences that some fans became quite attached to! I think that those differences are the reason that the Big Jump in the warthog finale of The Maw is so unreliable to survive in PAL Halo.)

- ... But when you switched to PAL 60Hz, the rescaled motion values did not mix well with the higher rendering rate, and you got a periodic juddering effect.

THANK GOD BUGS LIKE THAT ARE A THING OF THE PAST, RIGHT GUYS :twisted:

I think those examples really just emphasise how complacent publishers have become about patching their games. Rather than work on the game until the release date can be finalised, release dates are set many, many months in advance to fill schedules or land during holiday or busy retail periods. So when problems appear late in development or testing, there's very little time to fix them, and they go down the day-one patch route, knowing that gamers will just accept it.

We should be rejecting this practice; we're buying unfinished or untested products and trusting/hoping that publishers will properly fix them. And when the servers are eventually switched off, or the licensing lapses, retro gamers will have to play The Evil Within or AC:Unity in their pre-patched state.

Imagine buying a new album, and it including a placeholder guitar track, because the guitarist is still working on the riff and hopes to have it patched in sometime before the end of the month."Please understand".

Sony did it after they were hacked or put out a shitty product I can't remember which. It's a meme for every misstep they take now.

Or maybe this. I always thought it was a Nintendo thing.

I think those examples really just emphasise how complacent publishers have become about patching their games. Rather than work on the game until the release date can be finalised, release dates are set many, many months in advance to fill schedules or land during holiday or busy retail periods. So when problems appear late in development or testing, there's very little time to fix them, and they go down the day-one patch route, knowing that gamers will just accept it.

We should be rejecting this practice; we're buying unfinished or untested products and trusting/hoping that publishers will properly fix them. And when the servers are eventually switched off, or the licensing lapses, retro gamers will have to play The Evil Within or AC:Unity in their pre-patched state.

Imagine buying a new album, and it including a placeholder guitar track, because the guitarist is still working on the riff and hopes to have it patched in sometime before the end of the month."Please understand".

I imagine a world in 5-10 years time where we'll be buying £50-60 alphas then playing it till it launches 2-3 years later.

Kick starter is already this place.