Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

They're either shifting it from this MP2015 thing back to the old model or vice versa.The dedi servers were down a few hours ago so it seems they're shifting up several gears trying to get it all sweet. I've been having a blast with H4MP and the matchmaking has been easily <2minutes (I spent some time setting up port forwarding and disabling DMZ and I've had a constant open NAT ever since).

Was reading some people who were monitoring the network activity whilst playing and the latest patch has addressed whatever was going on that was causing big spikes in the data going upstream which manifested as long delays chucking grenades - something I was seeing regularly.

I think having a beta for this actually makes sense. It appears that the matchmaking was fundamentally flawed, the way they were matchmaking was not a workable solution. Doing a ground up rewrite of the system should be properly tested in a real world environment especially if it was true that the errors that were there didn't come up in internal testing. I'm still working on the single player stuff so haven't had the issues that other people have.

It's the right thing to do, but with this only being a North American beta, I'll be looking forward to all the lag problems us poor backwater idiots will have to deal with because they didn't test that part of the code.

The playlists in this are astonishingly pointless, I get the sense that they were an idea that someone senior had very early on that endured right to the end of the project, despite the developers struggling to do anything interesting with them. I mean, of the eight playlists devoted to the original Halo, four of them are just all of the campaign levels, in order, on easy, normal, heroic, and legendary difficulty respectively, and the fifth is all the campaign levels in order with all the skulls on. Quite why you need a playlist to do this when you could just go play the campaign is beyond me – the game even helpfully puts you on the next level once you’ve finished the previous one.

There are mixed-level playlists as well, so that you can do a selection of three vehicle-centric levels if you want, but the difficulty is set to ‘normal’ for these and can’t be changed so you’re playing the game on a tediously unchallenging difficulty, and in any event, Halo levels are a bit long to really justify playing through a load in one go. It might work if the transition between levels was more seamless, or if you could mix and match segments of levels rather than whole missions, but as it is, the playlists seem to be there solely to mop up a few of the five hundred or so achievements.

I still wonder if it was down to their incompetence or Microsoft's all new matchmaking system that fucked them up. Either way, it's been totally unacceptable and it's definitely taken the shine off Halo and the good will they were gaining before it.

I'm sure they've learnt a lot from this mess though and that it'll make them better going forward.

The silence is deafening - I tweeted that to Phil Spencer and @Halo before the last update and there was info released the same day :lol: it's ridiculous now.

Did anybody do the controller firmware update? The pad only blinks once now and that's it synched and I'm sure they've tweaked the rumble because I was finding it much more pronounced in Sunset Overdrive.

And finally an update appears....

HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION CONTENT UPDATES

Continued improvement to the MCC experience remains our top priority as a studio. Work on our upcoming content update focuses on three major areas:

• Matchmaking search time
  • Match search success
  • Lobby / Party Functionality

Fundamental changes to these systems will improve the overall experience while also allowing us to address additional issues such as title-specific hit registration, matchmaking ranking, and beyond. As this update contains the biggest changes to the Matchmaking system yet, we’ve identified that additional time and testing is required, and we are currently evaluating both timing and need for a CU beta with the Xbox One Preview program, as well as the final public release date in February. We’ll continue to provide the latest updates here on Waypoint.

Lastly, I’d like to thank those of you on Waypoint, r/Halo, Twitter, and elsewhere who have continued to provide info regarding issues you’ve encountered, and more specifically identifying which ones are most important to you – your continued feedback has been invaluable as we work to prioritize fixes within the CU schedule.

HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION PLAYLIST UPDATES

As the dev team works on the above content update and beyond, the playlist team continues to work on upcoming experiences, including featured playlists, updates to existing playlists (available game types, voting options, etc), and more. In the near future, we are aiming to release Team Snipers and an objective-only playlist as featured playlists, and also converting the Halo 2: Anniversary Rumble playlist into a cross-game Rumble Pit playlist. We know Team Doubles remains at the top of many wish lists, and it remains at the top of ours as well, but we need to resolve some team creation issues before we can deploy it. So it’s on hold for now, and these fixes are being slotted into content updates. As always, we’ll keep an eye on playlist data to determine what stays, what goes, and what’s next.

HALO 5: GUARDIANS MULTIPLAYER BETA – WHAT’S NEXT

During and since the beta, the Halo 5 team has been pouring over community feedback and data to build an extensive list of improvements for the game. I’ve been able to discuss some of the changes with Executive Producer Josh Holmes, and he’s working on a blog that will provide you with the details of what the team is working on, complete with a healthy list of learnings and changes from the beta. Stay tuned – I’m excited about it and I think it’s gonna be a good one.

I look forward to providing more regular updates in this same fashion across the above areas and beyond, and certainly recognize that they should’ve come a bit sooner. Thanks for reading, and I’ll be back again soon with the latest.

Bravo

Yeah it's a real shame. That beta I mentioned above was pulled and didn't happen and they've said nothing since. It's embarassing how badly they're managing it.

Having said that I play MP almost every day. When it's working its untouchable.

I need to join you again at some point for BTB fun. Not fancied it for a while after a couple of horrible days of issues.

Had a go earlier, it's absolutely brutal, I went in with randoms and definitely got matched against teams. Though my skill level is definitely semi pro (cough) the amount I've played puts my rank at only 12 on the H2 anniversary playlist yet I was matched with level 45ish players.

Still not a great experience, unfortunately.

I genuinely fail to understand why they made the Halo 2 anniversary playlist 5v5. Those maps were designed for 4v4 matches and adding an extra player to each team unbalances things massively. They tweaked the maps and added environmental hazards for sure, but they didn't redesign them from the ground up for 5v5 so why make the playlist 5v5?

Meanwhile, BR starts on Warlock should be nuked from fucking orbit. That map is about people occasionally sniping across at each other whilst getting up close and personal on the lower levels with dual-wields or the shotgun. Giving everyone a BR just breaks the level. It's like playing any of the larger maps without a BR start, but then Bungie were guilty of that with Waterworks and Burial Mounds.

The greatest moments in the two games I played today were on the vote screens, both times BR slayer lost out. :)

One guy exclaimed "Oh Fuck You" when the vote didn't go his way. :) I wouldn't take that much pleasure in it normally but under the circumstance - that 90% of the time BR Slayer is the default game type - his expression of being hard done by felt slightly misplaced.

I wish this worked the way it should. It had so much potential but I still struggle with either getting games, unbalanced teams, problems respawning, lag, the list goes on.

When you do get a game and it can be great though and it seems to be finding games a bit faster....

Anyway here's a game I just played, went 23 and 1. 'twas fun :)

http://xboxclips.com/TommyG/1b507ae8-4623-4ce6-bc86-31700a9119a2

Yep 343 have done a cracking job of killing this game, even though I'm bloody terrible Halo was a favourite of mine last gen and this compilation seemed too good to be true. Seemed it actually was too good to be true. I hope it's properly fixed one day and users return but there are too many other online games vying for peoples attention so seems unlikely.