IGNORED

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

Got the entire night off tonight (makes a change!) so will be flitting between games on Xbox. If anyone fancies a bit of a Halo sesh, throw me an invite/message. GT: ReynoldsM.

EDIT: Are these par times on ODST right? Tayari Plaza : 3mins. Uplift Reserve: 4 mins. I know you can speed through them but that seems mental!

I'm chipping away at Spartan Ops for the solo legendary achievement. It's soul destroying.

About halfway through ODST solo legendary, far easier than I remember.

Some of the par times are really tricky, only got a few Halo 2 levels left to go and they require some mad grenade jumping.

They've updated the playlists - the following are now ranked :

• Team Doubles
  • Halo 2 Classic
  • Halo 3
  • Halo 4
  • Team Hardcore
  • Team H2A
  • HCS

Team Slayer is now unranked. Halo 1 will probably become ranked once they fix bullet magnetism.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got to Delta Halo on my legendary run of Halo 2, after a long break from it.

The graphics switching is nice but I wish it'd give you the option of immediately replaying cutscenes. I always switch for less than a second because I don't want to miss the new, shiny versions but want a taste of the original. It'd be nice to do it in more leisurely fashion.

I remember beating igoturpistola and snipedown and another pro called APG on stream, sadly the footage isn't there anymore. Good times though.

Don't know if anyone has heard of the pro players igoturpistola and snipedown but my team met them and their team last night in throwdown and won! :)

1h35mins in..

http://www.twitch.tv/snip3down/b/379411165

Take note of his rage when I beast him at 1:45 lol

I dropped a neg bomb but armed 3 extractions as that's my role on the team in that game type. One of the highlights of my Halo life so far I think.

Still loving H4 more than the others for MP (H2C a close second) - stumbled over this video the other night 2 guys battling it out for $200k. What an amazing match - watch them closely they barely blink.

How's everyone getting on with ODST? I'm about half way through and it's not nearly as good as I remember :(

It's much more vehicle focussed than a lot of Halo and I'm finding the overworld suitably atmospheric but a bit of an annoyance.

3 completely blew me away though. It's such a shame they chose not to have Elites in there for bloody story purposes because otherwise it would definitely be the best campaign.

With Halo 2 it's all about Quarantine Zone, best level ever. Assaulting the Library with a similiar layout but just fights breaking out everywhere, such a good mission. Same with High Charity as well, always liked the 3 way battles.

ODST was a mixed bag for me, quite enjoyed the campaign missions but the bits in between where you hunting for clues didn't work for me and just made me want to spring to the next one to start the next level. Too hub worldy.

Give me Halo: Reach instead and I'll be happy.

How's everyone getting on with ODST? I'm about half way through and it's not nearly as good as I remember :(

It's much more vehicle focussed than a lot of Halo and I'm finding the overworld suitably atmospheric but a bit of an annoyance.

3 completely blew me away though. It's such a shame they chose not to have Elites in there for bloody story purposes because otherwise it would definitely be the best campaign.

So I've done something of a 100% complete U Turn on this since that there post. Played a few more levels and completely fell in love with the campaign. It nails everything I love about Halo and actually manages to thread in a cohesive story told well!

The solitude in the city bits sums up my love for the first game well, playing yesterday I sneaked past two hunters in one of the squares to get to a supply crate, then went back and took them out with what I picked up. I felt genuinely quite sorry for the rookie as he goes around seeing what happened to his team, unsure if they're alive or dead.

And then the team bits? It's really cool making your way through a greatest hits of Halo campaign levels as you 'get the band back together again.'

Still got about an hour to play but after originally being a bit disappointed due to playing whilst knackered during the week it's been really nice to rediscover my love for one of my favourite Halo campaigns.

Has anyone played much coop on this? Tried 4 player Halo 4 at the weekend and it was lagging like anything.

After an appreciable period of absence from MCC, owing to some newfangled witchering with Geralt, it's lovely to see the way ODST slots nicely into the Halo playlist. At first I thought it was a complimentary download and had already been installed, but alas, when I opened the folder I was asked to visit the store. :P

Look forward to replaying the campaign soon-ish, but I'd left the Chief after Halo 2's cliffhanger - fully intending to "finish the fight(s)" before Halo 5 splashes down in October - and it took a few bouts of thrashing around with Legendary before settling into a comfortable groove again. Whilst no amount of next-gen buffing can swap out some thoroughly last-gen assets, the tradeoff is a vastly improved framerate. Halo 3's opening level in particular has been marked by some surreal, almost 'hyper-real', exchanges owing to that dazzling 60fps. In many ways, the familiar "thirty seconds of fun" proviso leaps out at you like some fast-paced, kinetic sporting match - and that never gets old.

But visiting Twitch afterwards, I spotted some guy playing Halo 3 for a speedrun, apparently on Legendary difficulty. Er, right. Call me a cynic, or just somebody who fights for the simple reward of having bested the best AI in the business, but there was something slightly amiss in the way this guy set up his Halo pawns like so many ducks in a row. I've played the Crow's Nest level many times, but never have I seen a conga line of quasi-moronic grunts and jackals swarm this guy as he took potshots from a corner. My experience of Legendary AI is that even the underlings will flank you, or attempt to flush you out, but never walk willy-nilly into a shitstorm of bullets. Either the guy got lucky, or he wasn't playing on Legendary. But he did move briskly about the levels, once again second-guessing the spawn points and having a handy repertoire of quirks and strategies. Perhaps he was a high level player who eats Legendary for breakfast? I wouldn't know, but it kind of undersells the experience if we're honest... "speedrunning" a Halo game. -_-

In other news, who knew that they'd replaced Cortana's voiceover? Either my hearing ain't what it used to be, or all of Jen Taylor's lines have been re-recorded. Say it isn't so! :(

The first level in Halo 3 is the first level I ever completed on Legendary. Good stuff to be able to do it again; I even remembered where to find the skull. The snipers in the second half are a dick, though.

Hardest legendary level by far for me was Cortana. The Flood were bad enough in the first 2 games but when you add in all the different forms that are bloody difficult to kill without a specific weapon type (or flamethrower) it's incredibly tedious stuff.

I admit the 2nd time I played ODST on X1 after playing the original I did enjoy it a lot more. The soundtrack for the hub world is fantastic but on legendary it just didn't grip me. I ended up sneaking past everything and then sprinting to the last clue.

Out of all of them though Halo 4 was the weakest for me by far. I appreciate they tried to spice it up by adding new enemy types and it was refreshing to play because of this. However, I was not drawn into the story at all and on the harder difficulties some of the enemies were more frustrating than challenging. If I can spend hours upon hours on one section trying to complete it but enjoying every attempt (and silently cursing myself when I fail) then it's done right.

With Halo 4, I ended up giving it the standard "only a few more goes" and then playing something else. On the plus side, there were some great set piece bits in H4 such as the level revolving around the Elephant/Mammoth (not sure if that's right) hop out, go through a portal, shoot some shit up, bit of story, back through a portal and BOOM scorpion tanks + warthogs riding over the hill.

I'll give that a +1

If you'll permit me to turn around in the driving seat and shout at you like you are my children, can you just stop bickering please? It's well tedious for people trying to read the thread. Thanks guys.

Spainkiller casually throws around racist epithets (again) and we're supposed to just ignore it? Gotcha.