rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

Even though it's only supposed to be for Shield devices, it's possible to get HL2 running on any Android device: http://davebennett.tech/half-life-2-on-android/, although stability and performance probably differs from device to device. As the guide mentions, you'll also need to obtain the APK by some means other than the Play Store too. Anyway, that would theoretically mean it could run on a GPD XD. 

Alternatively, the JXD S192 has a Tegra K1 chip, so is perfectly capable of running it properly, but I don't know if the Play Store will let you install it on it, so again you might need to obtain the APK from somewhere else. 

Half-Life-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks... I think given its relatively small size, even though it's a tablet, I might go for the Linx Vision 8, simply because a) it will be a lot less hassle b) cheaper (I can use my Steam library!) and I can stream from my Xbox or PC for games which the Linx can't handle natively. It seems to have plenty of good reviews but relatively little interest in this forum, for some reason?

I had one of the other Linx tablets and the Windows button and keyboard stopped working on it. Those tablets with 2GB seem to get a bit sluggish with some apps like Chrome too (which is admittedly a memory hog). That's not to put you off getting the Vision 8 as I'm sure it would be fine for streaming games, just be cautious of the build quality. I think there's a good reason why their products are cheap.

my linx1010 doesn't know if the CAPSLOCK is on or off half the time and I have to type with my finger on the shift key of an imaginary keyboard.

fucking STUPid!

I would only use it for:

- playing HL2 natively through Steam

- emulation

- streaming Xbox One games

...so it should be fine for that?

On 11/14/2016 at 12:52, ngchol said:

I would only use it for:

- playing HL2 natively through Steam

- emulation

- streaming Xbox One games

...so it should be fine for that?

I got one - reduced to £99.99 on Amazon! - and yes, it does all of these things very well. The battery life is fine for 3-4 hours of HL2.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone got MAME running properly on their Linx Vision 8? I have a bit of a problem:

1) The controller is recognised by both MAME 0.153 and MALA.

2) There is no mapping for insert coin and start game.

3) MAME doesn't recognise the touchscreen keyboard, so I cannot press TAB to get to the configuration and reconfigure the controller for insert coin and start game.

Has anyone else got around this by editing the config/ini files manually? What do I need to do?

On 3 December 2016 at 21:00, ngchol said:

Has anyone got MAME running properly on their Linx Vision 8? I have a bit of a problem:

1) The controller is recognised by both MAME 0.153 and MALA.

2) There is no mapping for insert coin and start game.

3) MAME doesn't recognise the touchscreen keyboard, so I cannot press TAB to get to the configuration and reconfigure the controller for insert coin and start game.

Has anyone else got around this by editing the config/ini files manually? What do I need to do?

I guess one option would be to connect a USB keyboard using an OTG cable to change the settings

How are you finding emulation and what emulators are you using.  I'm finding performance using RetroArch a bit disappointing on SNES and GBA stuff - sound is clippy and frame rate a bit jolty.  Not what I was lead to expect.  Have you tweaked any of the settings and if so which?

Streaming from the Bone is great mind and works well with PS4 remote play too plugging the DS4 in with an OTG cable

• Upvote 1

The OTG cable/keyboard did the trick, thanks! I'm only using it for three things - MAME, Xbone streaming and HL2 installed natively, and it's perfect for all three. I haven't tried any other emulators.

7 hours ago, ngchol said:

The OTG cable/keyboard did the trick, thanks! I'm only using it for three things - MAME, Xbone streaming and HL2 installed natively, and it's perfect for all three. I haven't tried any other emulators.

Cool - glad that fixed it.

Not tried MAME yet (god knows if the ROM set I have will work anyway) and its the SNES stuff I was really wanting it to work.  Going to try a few of the tweaks suggested on the linx forum I think (power setting and a few bios things) as the vids I've seen seem to show it coping fine with stuff as high as the N64 so I'm surprised I'm getting these problems.

Just to update this, the trick was to disable the connected standby feature that sleeps the tablet if you push the power button a la an iOS or android device. This enables the power options. Switch it into high performance mode and it's running SNES, GBA and N64 stuff without breaking a sweat.

Means you have to turn the tablet off like a windows PC from the start menu, but given the connected standby mode just eats battery whilst slept that's no great hardship.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Just done a close look at the GPD XD:

You always say 'Hi guy' and I always wonder if it's 'guys' or not, does the s just come out silent? :)

45 minutes ago, NEG said:

You always say 'Hi guy' and I always wonder if it's 'guys' or not, does the s just come out silent? :)

It's just guy. I pinched it years ago off Magnum PI.

• Upvote 4

Thanks, Lorfarius! So is this a genuine and working Dreamcast emulator? The Shenmue intro looks fine. What about gameplay? And Shenmue 2?

It's Reicast, the Dreamcast emulator that will work on most modern Android devices. Games run okay, but not without graphical glitches. Watch the video again and look at Ryo's eyes. I've never tried it long enough to know how stable it is though. 

On 23/12/2016 at 13:25, Lorfarius said:

It's just guy. I pinched it years ago off Magnum PI.

I always chuckle when you say 'guy' at the start of your videos thinking 'why doesn't he just say 'guys' like a normal person?'.  At least I know it is deliberate now.  I reckon upgrading to 'guys is an easy 20 subs though. :lol:

keep up up the great work on videos.  

• Upvote 1

On 23/12/2016 at 12:35, Lorfarius said:

Just done a close look at the GPD XD:

I see Starcraft 64 there, hows the emulation for that - id love to play the 2player co-op mode on that thing but the not64 emulator for wii wont play it.

3 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

I reckon upgrading to 'guys is an easy 20 subs though. :lol:

Heathens! Only true believers are for Hi Guy!

Stick with the Hi Guy Lorf! Sod the audience, personal fulfilment and self amusement cannot be replaced by youtube hits. 

• Upvote 5

Don't worry about the card size, there's a slot right on top where you just slot another in. You don't even notice as you can map each program to open straight to the folder location.

The Super Retro Boy is essentially a clone of the original Game Boy, carrying forward its highly-recognizable compact form factor. But that’s where the similarities between the two end.

In addition to playing all of your original Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance cartridges, the Super Retro Boy will come equipped with a 2,500 mAh rechargeable battery keeping it powered for up to ten hours, a scratch and shatter-resistant TFT HD display, and an easy-to-swallow $80 price tag when it hits North America in August later this year.

In order to accommodate Game Boy Advance titles that rely on shoulder buttons, the Super Retro Boy features an extra pair of buttons on the face, just below the standard A and B set. That might make playing certain titles a little more challenging, but it’s a small price to pay for having the Game Boy back again.

t4wEdPo.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/the-game-boys-being-brought-back-from-the-dead-with-som-1790826815

I never owned a GBA SP so I missed out on a handheld that played everything and had a decent screen. (That said, I have a CFW PSP and Vita so I probably don't need any more retro players... :P )

EDIT: whoops, didn't know it had its own thread :blush: 

AGS-101 modded original GBA's have come right down in price again recently after more screens were turned up.  You can get one for under £100 now.  I miss mine, and I know what I'd rather have.