rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

All of these remade classic machines seem to have one critical flaw. With this one it's the shoulder buttons - I appreciate there wasn't really another option if they wanted to keep the classic shape but still, it's enough to put me off this device. 

• Upvote 2

You can stick CFW on almost any 2DS on the planet (every firmware, no purchased software required) at the moment and have native GBA action and excellent Game Boy / Game Boy Color emulation at your fingertips. Not to mention superb SNES emulation and more. There's just no contest between these options.

• Upvote 1

On 08/01/2017 at 01:41, spanky debrest said:

You can stick CFW on almost any 2DS on the planet (every firmware, no purchased software required) at the moment and have native GBA action and excellent Game Boy / Game Boy Color emulation at your fingertips. Not to mention superb SNES emulation and more. There's just no contest between these options.

Hmm... Can you CFW the later firmwares now by downgrading to 9.2? or is the 2DS more hackable? You are tempting me to pick one up now!

Almost every 3DS model that isn't on the very latest firmware (11.3) is able to have CFW installed on it using software. The procedure can be done in less than 30 minutes.

I tried out homebrew on my old 3DS the other day (with firmware 11.3) using soundhax, which is piss easy. You just download a couple of files on your SD card, open the sound program and play an mp4 which boots up the Homebrew menu. The GBA emulator I used was crap though; I think there might be better versions available.

• Upvote 1

Have any interesting Android/Windows handhelds been announced this year? The GPD XD is great, but I'm still interested in a GPD Win equivalent with a larger screen.

• Upvote 1

What's the best thing right now for me to take a collection of Dreamcast games to play on the train?

Saw a JXD today at Cex but googling it showed it was a couple of years old and there were newer consoles out.  So I left it.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

What's the best thing right now for me to take a collection of Dreamcast games to play on the train?

Saw a JXD today at Cex but googling it showed it was a couple of years old and there were newer consoles out.  So I left it.

Surely its a surface pro with nulldc (I could never get PC reicast to work) and a wired 360 pad?

On 2/22/2017 at 15:39, spanky debrest said:

Almost every 3DS model that isn't on the very latest firmware (11.3) is able to have CFW installed on it using software. The procedure can be done in less than 30 minutes.

How would I procure one of these ye-olde firmware 3DS's? Just try my luck at 2nd hand/gumtree and that? Is the SNES emulation better than PSP?

You could ask sellers what firmware their units are on before bidding or buying, or hold out for a soon to be released implementation of a new exploit - which will work regardless of firmware versions but require a DS flashcart for its execution.

I'd say the Snes emulation experience is pretty damn nice on the original 3DS if you use Snes 9x for 3DS. I cant vouch for how it compares in performance and features to the best of the PSP as its been a while since I used one, but I'm pretty sure its quality outshines what I was exposed to. The author of the above emulator port has since released highly optimised ports of VirtuaNES and very recently TemperPCE, giving O3DS users access to great NES / FDS and pretty good (work in progress) PC Engine / PC-E CD support, things that just weren't viable beforehand. 

• Upvote 1

FYI, you can cfw up 11.3. 11.4 allegedly has an exploit but its not been released yet.

I have both snes9x for vita and 3ds. Both run lovely. Not much between the two. I prefer 3ds for ease of sdcard over vita ftp and also having the correct labels on the buttons.

Just picked up a Jxd s7800b from Cex fairly cheap. No power supply with it so they are posting it to me. In the meantime, any way I can tell it's a 7800b and not a 7800 just by looking? Or can I tell when it's powered on in some way?

Well I took the JXD back. Can I assume that if you buy any android based device that the Dreamcast emulation will be as flaky, just faster and smoother on a more powerful device? 

Is there a way to play Dreamcast games on a train that works really well for under 200 quid?

Just stumbled across this video of a new GPD XD+. The video claims it has a 64 bit 2.5GHz CPU, which is a significant upgrade over existing models. It already runs PSP and Cube games at 20-25FPS with the unoptimised OpenGL drivers, so I suspect we'll see faster performance by the time it's launched.   

• Upvote 2

On 08/01/2017 at 05:41, spanky debrest said:

I have an OG 3DS lying around, are they the same spec as the 2DS? Is this worth doing if I have a DS with GBA games on? 

I might have missed it, but always was of the impression that there is no perfect DC emulating handheld. But what about the GPD WIN? It looks perfect, doesn't ?

I have been keeping an eye on these for a while.  My friend has a GPD pocket and it's amazing.  If I bought one of these I'd only use it for Dreamcast and so I want to see if it's only these games that work well or whether it runs everything.  Basically want to play Toy Commander on a train.  And Shenmue.

If it can play Shenmue without any flaws  I'm definitely going to get one. Who knows if it does? 

What's the GPD Win like for PS1? I'm considering something like this as I was originally holding onto my Vita in the hope that would be hacked properly, but looks like that's not going to happen (FW version is too recent). Would sell the Vita and get this instead.

I like how it has a little keyboard on, would be ideal for decent Spectrum gaming, or any 8-bit computer really.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

What's the GPD Win like for PS1? I'm considering something like this as I was originally holding onto my Vita in the hope that would be hacked properly, but looks like that's not going to happen (FW version is too recent). Would sell the Vita and get this instead.

Just use a PSP for PS1, missing a few buttons, but they run great on there.

22 hours ago, partious said:

I don't know if it does, although I highly doubt it considering my experience with dreamcast emulators on PC.

Either way, you should wait for the gpd win 2, coming in 2018, which will be a lot more powerful.

Also the gpd win seems to have some serious build quality issues, the batteries in particular seem prone to expanding/overheating.

The newer revisions with the z8750 chip solves those issues.