rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

Introducing the PocketSprite. Looks rather fiddly. Prices currently from $45 (in kit form).

1. Very tiny – fits on your keychain, but still totally playable
  2. Plays all Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Sega Master System, and Game Gear games
  3. Instant resume let’s you pick up a game exactly where you left off
  4. One-click-upload via Wi-Fi for new games / software / updates
  5. Rechargeable battery gives hours of gameplay per charge
  6. High-quality build with tactile buttons and adjustable volume and brightness
  7. Printed instruction sheet and embossed collector’s storage box
  8. Open source software and hardware: https://github.com/PocketSprite
  9. Powerful, ESP32-based hardware development platform
  10. PocketSprite Coding Challenge: code something cool, win the €1000 prize money

https://www.crowdsupply.com/teampocket/pocketsprite

ps-cut-2-white.gif

pocketsprite-hands-fade-no-watermark_png

Just had the RS-97 delivered. Initial impressions are very good and it has already been hacked for dingux

18 hours ago, dfq23 said:

Just had the RS-97 delivered. Initial impressions are very good and it has already been hacked for dingux

Never heard of this - do you have a link? 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Never heard of this - do you have a link? 

One of these 

On 2/9/2018 at 14:52, dfq23 said:

Just got one too, but I'm yet to really use it in anger, Interesting that they've used the Revo K101 shell. The Dingux situation seems to be rapidly evolving still, so I hope I haven't jumped the gun.

@The Mighty Ash Got mine for £50 from Amazon with all the benefits of Prime delivery and their return policy

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076J4TT9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also seen them on eBay for sub £40, but with delivery from China.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

@dfq23did you get yours on eBay? 

Yep. Made a best offer for 35 quid which was accepted then paid 3 for quicker postage. Came in a week

• Upvote 1

Might be looking to sell my Gpd Win. Would be happier to sell it someone here than in CEX. 

Would anyone be interested for around £180 delivered, before I list in trading?

Mint condition, but bought from CEX so they supplied it with a generic BlackBerry charger.

• Upvote 1

Are any of the Chinese knock off hand held's actually any good? I'm contemplating getting one for say £30 max for my brother for his birthday, anyone got any recommendations?

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

Are any of the Chinese knock off hand held's actually any good? I'm contemplating getting one for say £30 max for my brother for his birthday, anyone got any recommendations?

Pretty hit and miss, best thing to do is check the name on Youtube and look at reviews. That way you get to see it running up close and hear some opinions, can usually tell if the screen is good enough for you.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Pretty hit and miss, best thing to do is check the name on Youtube and look at reviews. That way you get to see it running up close and hear some opinions, can usually tell if the screen is good enough for you.

Most of the reviews are by people with Asian accent's. Just makes me wonder if they are people who make up the team that made them :lol:

20 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Most of the reviews are by people with Asian accent's. Just makes me wonder if they are people who make up the team that made them :lol:

Possibly :lol: The RS97 is pretty cheap and can be grabbed for around £45 on AliExpress so I'd consider just going for that. Safer!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Luseth said:

I take it back! Have a look at this:

• Upvote 1

Just picked up a Retro Handheld RS97:

0.jpg

Fantastic screen but only one speaker which is a bit dinky but gets the job done.  Can use headphones so not a problem.  Takes all of the 16 bit consoles plus MAME!  Usually go for around $60 online but I've been watching Ali Express and some popped up for just $33.  Only ordered it on Saturday and it arrived today from Hong Kong.  Fantastic system and just been flicking through the menu's and it has over 1600 ROMs on but there's a cart with mini SD slot on to fill with more ROMs.  Pad and buttons feel good too, almost like an advanced version of the GB Micro with good build quality.

• Upvote 3

That looks like a great bargain, @Lorfarius

Two questions:

1) what are the d-pad and buttons like?

2) Is the best beat em up of all time - Capcom's Alien vs. Predator - on there? :)

Just now, Treble said:

That looks like a great bargain, @Lorfarius

Two questions:

1) what are the d-pad and buttons like?

2) Is the best beat em up of all time - Capcom's Alien vs. Predator - on there? :)

They feel good, just like a GBA. No AvsP but its all a matter of dumping stuff in folders and up they pop up.  Seems to have all of the CPS arcade games included.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, David Kenny said:

Looks nice, you got a link to that on Ali Express? I can see a couple that look similar.

I'll post it later, at work :(

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Is the site OK to hand over your details to? Shame they don't do paypal.

Yep, I've been using them for years. You pay them rather than the person you are dealing with so if it goes wrong they refund you. There's a button on the account that lets you start a claim if it doesn't turn up. All above board!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I'll post it later, at work :(

Yep, I've been using them for years. You pay them rather than the person you are dealing with so if it goes wrong they refund you. There's a button on the account that lets you start a claim if it doesn't turn up. All above board!

Thanks, but I think I managed to find it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/16GB-RS-97-RETRO-Handheld-Game-Console-Portable-Mini-Video-Gaming-Players-MP4-MP5-Playback-Built/32846281895.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.22704c4dEnw4cr

Hope that's the right one because I've already ordered it!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Yep its that's model :)  There's loads of them that pop up so always best to keep an eye out for lower prices. Plus if you have a new account there's usually a discount code.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, David Kenny said:

Looks nice, you got a link to that on Ali Express? I can see a couple that look similar.

I've found it does have AVP on it under the Neo Geo section weirdly.

A few of the emulators have slowdown issues, I tried loads of different games this morning and they were fine but once I hit the GBA's Mario Kart it was noticeable.  Started browsing and found this which is simple to install:

https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90

Seems to be a very active scene around it, the slowdown is just because of the emus and it runs much more stuff with the above.  I'm going to give it a go at the weekend when I have some time and I'll use the external one.