rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

He's sounds like a bit of a dick, he actually sounds angry that the games aren't licensed. 

The controls are good on mine and a fair chunk of games seem to run fine but as with all clone systems its down to the emulator.  Just installed the firmware linked above and... it runs it all without slowdown. Even tried it on the games I was having problems with before and they are now fine.

Been playing a good chunk of games and happy to report that I've not seen any other issues so far! Loads of MAME titles load without any slowdown and even played a few NES/SMS games (yes including Enduro Racer!) without issue. I just stuck an image onto an SD card so I can always go back to the original unit if I want.  For this price though I'm quite chuffed, neat little system.

It also takes Amiga games :o

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

It also takes Amiga games :o

Woah - tell us more about this :)

13 minutes ago, Goose said:

Do they run well?

Perfectly. The built in ROMs are all a bit hit n miss so def worth using the mod above. Must have taken me 30 minutes to setup and copy stuff across, very easy to do.  This is the Amiga version of Addams Family, runs very smoothly with no slowdown.  Worst thing about it is the single speaker as its not very loud but with a set of headphones its not really a problem also has a TV out but not had chance to try.

0.jpg

Only thing I'm struggling with is MAME, got a few ROMs but unzipped or zipped it can't seem to find anything in the folder. Sure I'm doing something wrong!

• Upvote 1

I had my eye on something like that a while ago but put the money towards PS4 tat instead. :hmm:

Is there C64 support?

Been following this thread for a while and now the modded PS Vita has exceeded all my needs.  Apart from having a pocket Dreamcast, that's the ultimate goal.....

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I had my eye on something like that a while ago but put the money towards PS4 tat instead. :hmm:

Is there C64 support?

Yes all the 8Bit computers, DOS and even the BBC Micro.

• Upvote 1

I installed the firmware. I got the pack with emus, games and apps. Got the apps and games to appear - how do I get the emulators to appear. Just blank at the moment :)

4 minutes ago, boyo said:

I installed the firmware. I got the pack with emus, games and apps. Got the apps and games to appear - how do I get the emulators to appear. Just blank at the moment :)

Use the L or R button to move between the lists. Games are on the second along the top row.

yea done that - nothing there. I have put the emus in their respective directory in the emus directory - do they need to be in root? Do i need to run anything for the console to know where they are?

1 hour ago, boyo said:

yea done that - nothing there. I have put the emus in their respective directory in the emus directory - do they need to be in root? Do i need to run anything for the console to know where they are?

Not sure. I didn't have to do any of that, after I flashed it just looked like this:

0.jpg

Only thing I had to do was extend the SD ROMs drive as I had a bigger card. But that list just popped up.  The handheld is a 2.1, did you use the write version for yours?

Anyone here bought a GPD Win 2? I'm massively tempted to get one instead of the Laptop, pricey though If I don't use it

I'd love to get my hands on one. In all honesty, looking at the spec I think it's most likely the best portable option you can get. 

As it's Win10, you can get Steam on there and run lots of stuff. If you don't HAVE to have it in-hand, a laptop and 360 pad would be better. 

• Upvote 1

Are there any half-decent neo-retro consoles that play original GBA cartridges? My kid has got into retro stuff and wants to play some of my old games. He only really dips in and out of them, so the quality doesn't have to be amazing, but a backlight is a must, obviously. I'm thinking of some sort of equivalent of the GB Boy for GBA.

Someone in the trading section sells DS Lites with the top screen removed, making it essentially a GBA:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I fully agree that a DS Lite is the best way to play them, but he likes the idea of 'retro' styled hardware and would like a specific GBA player. I know, it's silly, but if there was a cheap enough knock off I was going to humour him and consider it. That GBA macro is a seriously cool bit of kit though, I have to say!

https://www.funstockretro.co.uk/black-friday-deals

RetroN HD Games Console for NES Cartridges - Black (Hyperkin): £19.99 (usually £49.99)

RetroN HD Games Console for NES Cartridges - Grey (Hyperkin): £19.99 (usually £49.99)

SmartBoy - for Android (by Hyperkin): £14.99 (usually £59.99)

Retro Freak UK and EU Edition Standard Edition: £99.99 (usually £179.99)

• Upvote 1

Are there any of these systems that have a six button layout for fighting games? There's a million and one game boy style knockoffs but I really want those six face buttons for Capcom fighters :/

• Upvote 1

On 31/05/2019 at 02:41, Nequests said:

Can get these for about twenty quid where I am, so kinda tempted to give it a shot:

I've picked up one of these and so far with Retrofw on it is pretty damn good. It even manages some PlayStation stuff which is odd as it seems to struggle with snes games, although that could be an issue with the quality of the emulator on it. 

Managed to destroy my vita trying to repair it (dpad was battered and now won't switch on) and looking at options. 

Is there anything slightly cheaper than the gpd that's got a chance at emulating dreamcast? Now that redream is doing so well I'd assume any windows tablet could take a punt at it but none of them seem to have hardware controls. Unless I'm missing something 

Bought a Pap K3 Plus as they're really cheap now. (as little as £30 if you get them off aliexpress/dhgate, but £40 on amazon). 

It's the same chipset as the RS-97 mentioned upthread but a bigger screen- 4.3" instead of 3", which my old man eyes find a lot more palatable.

The emulation is largely spot-on up until neo-geo/FBA. Also got PSX & Quake engine emulators if you install the custom firmware in the comments of the video below

I must admit I haven't played many PSX games yet but does seem to run In The Hunt okay. Worth the £30 if you get it off aliexpress I think. 

• Upvote 1