rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

Was just watching a video about a new handheld called a Retro Game 300, which look decent:

But someone mentioned in the comments a new device called the RG350 and reading up this could potentially be great when it releases later this year. Anyone heard  much about it?

There's a thread with a bit more information on dingoonity- a couple of posters there have the prototypes up and running. 

The jz4770 chip is certainly better than the one I've been using and emulation upto neo geo/fba in that is pretty accurate once you're using updated firmware 

http://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/bring-on-the-rg-350-(jz4770-based)-handheld/

• Upvote 1

I got myself an RS-97 a while ago. One of the newer models with the nice 60hz screen. I'm still well impressed with it. I bought it as I was fed up with Retroflag taking so long to get the GPi cases in, and then when I saw the scalpers get their hands on them, well that was me out. It's currently around £189 on Amazon UK. Sod that.

For what you get with the RS-97, it's not going to be very far off from the Pi Zero anyway. I stuck the RetroFW on it, added a pile of games and it is a joy. SNES isn't great but if you enable auto frame skipping it's actually pretty good on such a tiny screen. You aren't going to be noticing a lot of frame skipping at that size. The revelations for me so far are GBA, which is just brilliant on this device, and a very performant FBA. I can even play MvsC on the go!

For £45 I recommend it. Exciting to see upgraded versions on the way too. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah this is the problem.  All I want is retropie in my hand rather than some unfriendly Android mess I have to configure but Retroflag made 5 of them and appear uninterested in doing any more.

I've got a spare BittBoy if anyone is interested. Boxed with SD card and in good working order. Seem to be going for £45-£50 so I reckon £40 to anyone here, I'll do a trading thread later.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah this is the problem.  All I want is retropie in my hand rather than some unfriendly Android mess I have to configure but Retroflag made 5 of them and appear uninterested in doing any more.

The GPi cases are fairly straightforward to get hold of on AliExpress - I ordered one 3 weeks ago and got it within 2 week.

4 hours ago, AlonzoUK said:

The GPi cases are fairly straightforward to get hold of on AliExpress - I ordered one 3 weeks ago and got it within 2 week.

They all sold out within minutes and there's been none since. You were incredibly lucky. It's why they are close to a couple of hundred quid on ebay.

Plus isn't aliexpress about on the level of Wish.  I'd assume what would actually turn up in most cases would be a 2gb SD card badged as 64gb and a plastic model of Pikachu in a Deadpool outfit.

On 21/08/2019 at 10:46, watusi said:

the previous  version of this hasn’t got great comment on the KS

I note right at the bottom they mention they're shipping from China and so you'll be spending a bunch in customs charges.

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Plus isn't aliexpress about on the level of Wish.  I'd assume what would actually turn up in most cases would be a 2gb SD card badged as 64gb and a plastic model of Pikachu in a Deadpool outfit.

That hasn't been my experience with them - you don't release payment to the seller until you confirm you have received the item expected.

I've only just got my Raspberry Pi Zero W card for this so I have only just got round to installing it - the installation is very slick and takes less than 10 minutes to complete. I've downloaded a pre-made image so hoping to do some testing over next couple of days.

For those interested, I bought mine from this seller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041319646.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75f94c4dEHicyZ

• Upvote 1

On 22/08/2019 at 08:19, Dudley said:

As with most things it depends who you buy from. Shop that's never sold anything, has no feedback, and charges 25% less than the others? Yeah it's going to be a sack full of used nappies instead of a replacement PS Vita screen.

Hundreds of orders, loads of feedback, and regular pricing? You'll get the right thing. Bought loads from AliExpress, including plenty of MicroSD cards, all fully tested, fully functional, and fully x% cheaper than getting them from a 'local' seller. And absolutely no used nappies. Yet.

• Upvote 1

On 22/08/2019 at 19:12, AlonzoUK said:

That hasn't been my experience with them - you don't release payment to the seller until you confirm you have received the item expected.

I've only just got my Raspberry Pi Zero W card for this so I have only just got round to installing it - the installation is very slick and takes less than 10 minutes to complete. I've downloaded a pre-made image so hoping to do some testing over next couple of days.

For those interested, I bought mine from this seller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041319646.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75f94c4dEHicyZ

This arrived yesterday (with a £12 customs charge but I expected that) and very much appears to be the real thing.

1295602402_2019-09-0522_10.58-2.thumb.jpg.5e58b415c781466eeead569478aec1f1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thinking of getting the RS-97 from alixpress on the previous page. Two Q's: will i pay any taxes/import duty? also, can I get Neo Geo Pocket games on this? I've got a hankering for some Cardfighters. Thanks !

@Dudley

How are you finding your GPi so far, and what are you running on it? I decided even though I have the brilliant RS-97 Plus that I'd still grab a GPi and have managed to get one now. I'm trying out the Supreme image first but not sure about it all. The screen is amazing but the options for improving SNES on this image just a little bit are lacking. Even SMW runs with odd audio problems. I can take a bit of frame skipping here and there just to improve it but cannot find the usual Retropie settings. Any pro tips? Thanks.

Can't help you with Supreme, I'm using stock Rpi on the thing.  I've mostly used it for playing Pop Up on the gameboy which doesn't help you at all but it's one of my favourite little puzzle action games from the period.

That of course runs perfectly.

No that's fine I'm happy to use the stock one and build on it. I was just being lazy with Supreme and hoping that they'd done all the work! They have for the vast majority of it, but I just wondered if there were any gains to be had tweaking the SNES emu a bit. It actually does perform pretty well tbh, just has some annoying audio issues here and there. Ta anyway. :-)

4 hours ago, Lumpy said:

@Dudley

How are you finding your GPi so far, and what are you running on it? I decided even though I have the brilliant RS-97 Plus that I'd still grab a GPi and have managed to get one now. I'm trying out the Supreme image first but not sure about it all. The screen is amazing but the options for improving SNES on this image just a little bit are lacking. Even SMW runs with odd audio problems. I can take a bit of frame skipping here and there just to improve it but cannot find the usual Retropie settings. Any pro tips? Thanks.

The difficulty in getting SNES running well is what is putting me off the GPI. Love the form factor thiugh. Half tempted to get one purely for retro handhelds. 

6 hours ago, Lumpy said:

@Dudley

Just got mine today and installed that image. There's an amazing Retroflag GPI Case Users group on Facebook, they are open to answering all sorts of questions. Helped me out with the setup already.  I love the thing, just amazing to have what feels like a proper GameBoy to play all this stuff on.  Only tried GB and NES games so far.

WELL! It turns out I was using an older build of Supreme, and there's a newer v1.1 version out now. Slapped that on the SD card, and very much improved! SNES much better (though not perfect of course) and much better than the RS-97. To my amazement PSX runs extremely well too. Just had a ball on Wipeout 2097. I have also noticed with this latest version too that the handheld itself isn't making a high pitched whining noise anymore, which was really disconcerting.

It'll still take me a while to get used to the L and R buttons, but yes much improved otherwise and very impressed. :)

• Upvote 4

On 14/09/2019 at 20:02, Lorfarius said:

Just got mine today and installed that image. There's an amazing Retroflag GPI Case Users group on Facebook, they are open to answering all sorts of questions. Helped me out with the setup already.  I love the thing, just amazing to have what feels like a proper GameBoy to play all this stuff on.  Only tried GB and NES games so far.

Yeah the thing is if I only ever played GB games on it I''ll have paid the £70 a late era GB cost but I have every gb game ever in it.

And it will very, very easily do GBC, Master System, NES and a bunch of Atari consoles too.

Mega drive and SNES is a bonus really.

So you folks  are happy with the GPI so far? Mine has just arrived but I'm waiting on a pi zero w to arrive. I've installed supreme v1.1 in readiness.

I have a GB colour with everdrive so I'm hoping that this gives me a reason to sell those onwards.