rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

I'm about to flog my GPI. Has wireless Pi zero installed with fully prepped 16gb micro SD supreme image. Thinking £90 which is a bit less than what I paid. Any interest before I stick it in trading?

On 29/09/2019 at 18:05, Down by Law said:

I settled on a RG300 in the end, £50 from amazon with a 32GB stick with 3000 games on it. USB-C, big battery and screen were the deciding factors.

DSC04705.jpg

I really want one with six face buttons, Sega Nomad style, but it seems like an impossible dream so I'll settle for this. 

I'm close to getting one of these - but some of the reviews online say you need to enable frameskip in the SNES emulator. Is that your experience? Are you running the FW it came with or have you installed a custom one? 

7 hours ago, bm said:

I'm close to getting one of these - but some of the reviews online say you need to enable frameskip in the SNES emulator. Is that your experience? Are you running the FW it came with or have you installed a custom one? 

I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions, as it's not turned up yet!

From what I understand using RetroFW gives better performance in SNES games but neither is perfect. I didn't buy it for SNES support though to be honest so I didn't really look into it. I honestly bought it just for Neo Geo Pocket emulation (Cardfighters is pure crack) and the Streets of Rage Remake!

If it's anything like the RS-97, which I think it is, you'll need to recheck your expectations of the SNES emulation. It's not the best, and you will likely need the frame skipping option on auto. That said. once you start playing you don't worry about it too much. As long as you don't expect the earth, you'll be fine. FWIW I am running the custom RetroFW on mine too.

On 03/10/2019 at 23:14, Lorfarius said:

I'm about to flog my GPI. Has wireless Pi zero installed with fully prepped 16gb micro SD supreme image. Thinking £90 which is a bit less than what I paid. Any interest before I stick it in trading?

That's a shame Lorfarius. What sealed it for you? I thought you quite liked the device.

1 hour ago, Lumpy said:

That's a shame Lorfarius. What sealed it for you? I thought you quite liked the device.

Screens just too small for me sadly, even with my glasses on.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Screens just too small for me sadly, even with my glasses on.

Well I can certainly relate to that...

/squints at screen with huge fishbowls on

Gittin' too old for dis shit! I'm probably just in denial!

• Upvote 1

The scary thing is, the screen on the GPi is actually a decent amount larger than that on the original Game Boy.

On 29/09/2019 at 16:49, dumpster said:

Very clear and professional video.

Wow. Thanks. Is there any easy tutorial how to set it up that you can recommend?

Got my GPi case, but the dpad does not seem to work. I do not get a prompt to configure a new dpad when I boot the image I downloaded, though the buttons seem to work fine. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, OogyBoogy said:

Got my GPi case, but the dpad does not seem to work. I do not get a prompt to configure a new dpad when I boot the image I downloaded, though the buttons seem to work fine. Any suggestions?

Which image?  On Supreme you have to do this:

Turn your D-padinto “Axismode”
-GPI case D-pad have two modes : “Hat mode” and “Axis mode”.
-This build use the“Axis mode”because of its compatibility with more emulators (no tweak needed).
-By default the D-pad is on “Hat mode” so you have to turn it to “Axis mode”. You can turn from one mode to another whenever you want.
-It’s an hardware setting so you just have to do it one time.

-Hold SELECT + D-PAD LEFT for 5 seconds.
-Device led will flash purple when done.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

Wow. Thanks. Is there any easy tutorial how to set it up that you can recommend?

Thread in retro folder, turn your switch into a fantastic emulation machine.  This is the Flycast core for Retroarch.

Anyone seen this PowKiddy X18 (wow, what a name!)

It seems like a slightly lower specced GPD XD but a bit cheaper at about £99 (compared to £150 of the GPD XD)

Personally I cant get over the "xtreme-gaming PC" red-highlights of the physical case but it may suit some people :) I'm just a snob!

Slightly larger screen than the GPD XD is nice!

So I ended up getting rid of my GPi, it was nice 'n all but performance wise I'm better off sticking with my modded VITA, the form factor is more comfortable too.

Really nicely made bit of kit though its hamstrung by the pi zero.

Interested to know how many how many builds you tried. It's only just gotten into the hands of a large number of people so I think over time the builds will get optimized. I'm having good times with Neighbourhood Techie's 128gb v2 that was just uploaded to arcade punks. The boot times for any build that's not lakka aren't great, but when they do get loaded up they are lovely little devices. It's definitely not the most comfortable to hold or play with tho, I find it a bit small for my hands.

I hope the pi zero continues to get faster over the years to decrease the load times and increase the amount of systems available. Will ofc be hampered by the lack of sticks, but can always attach a bluetooth controller.

2 hours ago, watusi said:

So I ended up getting rid of my GPi, it was nice 'n all but performance wise I'm better off sticking with my modded VITA, the form factor is more comfortable too.

Really nicely made bit of kit though its hamstrung by the pi zero.

8 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Interested to know how many how many builds you tried. It's only just gotten into the hands of a large number of people so I think over time the builds will get optimized. I'm having good times with Neighbourhood Techie's 128gb v2 that was just uploaded to arcade punks. The boot times for any build that's not lakka aren't great, but when they do get loaded up they are lovely little devices. It's definitely not the most comfortable to hold or play with tho, I find it a bit small for my hands.

I hope the pi zero continues to get faster over the years to decrease the load times and increase the amount of systems available. Will ofc be hampered by the lack of sticks, but can always attach a bluetooth controller.

I tried the supreme and FB community builds and i think the last build was neighbourhood techies 32gb build from AP.

Don't get me wrong, I did like it. Just when weighed up against all the options i already had (GBA with everdrive, vita) it didnt really warrant keeping it.

I'm keeping mine, there's something about playing retro games on (what feels like) an actual retro device.

• Upvote 3

https://droix.net/collections/retro-gaming/products/retroflag-gpi-case

52 quid in droix sale.

I have now been through every base image and most of the builds kicking about the internet. I found the quickest with the best emulators already working was the community base image, then I loaded my own games, inc ps1 and megaCD which work great. Everything I've thrown at it works great apart from Super FX SNES games - they have bitty sound but are still fast enough to be playable if you turn the sound down.

Been through all the skins too. Best one for Gpi is GZ35 dark and I've modified it with the system backgrounds from Trokyfran. Looks sexy as hell and it's running smooth as butter now.

Hoping someone might be able to help with this little issue. I'm using the community users group image and it is by far my favourite, but having a problem with GPSP for the GBA. Basically I notice that when I go into the GPSP menu to save a state for example, it affects the controls so that the button press to return to the game exits the emulator. If I then try to go back in to the GPSP menu to load up the state or whathaveyou, it just returns to the GPi menu. If i do manage to press the right button to return to the game, the controls stay messed up. The only way around this is to simply not use the GPSP menu at all, but that means no save states for me. :(

I read a fix that said to update the controls via the Retropie options menu but this has made no difference. Anyone else had this? Let me know folks! Otherwise it has been tip-top.

Think I've 'fixed' this. Decided to do a bit of testing with lr-gpsp rather than standalone GPSP, and it seems to me to perform pretty much exactly the same. Nothing between them that I can tell on the games I've tested, so I've switched to that instead. Yay savestates!

• Upvote 1

Thought you guys might want a heads up. Akumamods has put up the CM3+lite cart for the GPi up for pre-order. I pulled the trigger today. It will let you play stuff like Dreamcast and Saturn and improve the performance of the other systems too. I'd imagine it will sell out rapid then sell for silly money second hand, so I'm getting it as more of an investment than anything else.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Thought you guys might want a heads up. Akumamods has put up the CM3+lite cart for the GPi up for pre-order. I pulled the trigger today. It will let you play stuff like Dreamcast and Saturn and improve the performance of the other systems too. I'd imagine it will sell out rapid then sell for silly money second hand, so I'm getting it as more of an investment than anything else.

Without wishing to be negative, that spec is not going to play Saturn by any stretch, being little more than the older RPi 3 before it went 3B+. Maybe the Saturn BIOS intro will run lol. It's gonna struggle with DC too. You may see some improvement with older systems but will that be enough to justify the cost? How much was it, and are there even Retropie systems built for it?

36 quid. Obviously needs the CM module too. Also pulled the trigger on the battery cover mod that adds charging. This thing is turning in to a money pit! The cart is designed to be a replacement for the current cart with the pi zero - you can just plug in your current gpi sd card.

Still works out cheaper than the nearest other thing to it, the freeplay kit, which is 200 bucks.

https://www.freeplaytech.com/product/freeplay-cm3-diy-kit/