rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

18 hours ago, David Kenny said:

I've had one for a little over a week and it is a very nice little unit. Even better than a custom-firmwared RS-97, which is what I had been using. The screen is really sharp and the colours are bright. I've mainly been playing SNES and GBA and so far and it's been pretty much flawless. It hasn't struggled with anything I've tried yet, even Starfox runs pretty close to 60fps.

For PS1 games I've been using bin files, which have worked. I did try ISO, which didn't. I've only played a bit of Dino Crisis 2, and a quick go of Vandal Hearts but performance was perfect to my untrained eye.

Cheers! most of mine are PSP eboots for the RetroPie to get around the disc-swapping issue but I can deal with that I guess. Sounds like it works better than expected then - PS1 was very much a bonus to me but there are a ton of JRPGs on there I've never played (plenty that never came to Europe, even) which I would like to go through and handheld is definitely the way to do it.

Really chuffed with it - moreso than the Revo K101 I had a few years back - but I was a little disappointed with GBA sound at first in Mother 3. I know sonically it was always dire anyway so I've maybe been spoiled by other emulators glossing it over.

Do we have a thread listing these various handhelds and what they can run? The selection is mind blowing now. Amazing stuff.

I have a PSP, PS Vita (both hacked) and a Switch (not hacked). TBF, the Vita does absolutely everything, PSP, Game Boy, Mega Drive, Mega CD, NGPC... but I want a portable Dreamcast dammit.

ReDream works well on my phone, but I prefer a dedicated machine, and main thing, nice control inputs. Being able to hook up to a TV and have 2-player would be amazing.

I stumbled upon this video in my suggested over on YT. I thought it was some sort of Android device at first so watched it thinking whatever it could do my smartphone would do better and I'd give whatever software it was using a go. I haven't had much luck emulating PS2 you see, it works but it's very hit and miss on my S9+ and there seems to be a fair few emulators out there for Android. Anyway, it's not an Android based machine, it's actually a shrunken down PS2 ,according to the guy in the vid, and although it looks like a one off Ben Heck affair you can actually buy it over on Ali Express for a ridiculous price.

Does look like it's been knocked up in someones shed mind.

• Upvote 2

Someone making portable ps2s using real ps2 hardware in largeish numbers is far more interesting than all the emulation devices in this thread combined.

Unless someone else starts mass producing those things(which I assume they won't due to the need to use original hardware), it will be worth more than that price in the future, when the android/emulation devices are only fit for the bin.

My main issue with the price is in terms of long term reliability. Like the gpd win 2, it's not just the high price, but also the fact that you're out of luck if anything goes wrong.

I'd consider foregoing the next gen consoles/a new gfx card and spending that much for a handheld ps2 from a reliable source.

• Upvote 1

Thing is its so cheap to find other devices like this it doesn't really matter. There will always be something else on the market just as cheap with better specs around the corner.

TBH I am all for emulation working nicely. We definitely have the power, it's form factor that's the issue, really.

If my Vita played DC games then I would be extremely happy.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Just pre-ordered an Evercade. £80 on Amazon with a nice pile of games.

Me too, I have no idea why though!

• Upvote 1

On 24/01/2020 at 14:13, sharak said:

TBH I am all for emulation working nicely. We definitely have the power, it's form factor that's the issue, really.

If my Vita played DC games then I would be extremely happy.

Truth. The ergonomics and general quality puts me off a lot of these emulation devices as they all manage to do something wrong whilst the Vita aces it on all accounts and has the best dpad ever.

I'd happily pay upto 50 for a perfectly working DC emulator on there as those games on that screen with that form factor would be perfection.

• Upvote 1

Lot more confident after seeing that and preordered every cartridge. No idea how often they will release carts after the launch but will miss any shortage in a bundle thanks to Amazon!

More about the sound and controls here:

I asked on Twitter how often the carts were going to be released and they said 2-5 this year with lots more set for 2021.

I've ordered the premium pack for now just because it's a nice looking thing that should be supported and the prices are pretty reasonable.

I also hadn't realised they'd got Piko and Mega Cat in, for those who haven't heard Piko clean up and release long forgotten or never translated old games, for instance Tinhead, which was released on MegaDrive but the SNES port was cancelled... until 2019. Mega Cat write entirely new games for Mega Drive especially.

If this becomes a way for indies to cost effectively do physical releases of new stuff that'd be a nice side effect. I've added both to my order to encourage this.

• Upvote 1

What a horrid colour scheme, sorry couldn't live with that, change it to something decent and I'd bite.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, MpM said:

What a horrid colour scheme, sorry couldn't live with that, change it to something decent and I'd bite.

I quite like it, very Famicom like. But it's a plastic case so nothing to stop them doing different ones later perhaps?

RS97 get! Outside of PSP/Vita custom firmware this is probably my first actual "modern retro handheld" thing and after trying a few games and seeing what the USB/file management was like I think it's pretty decent. :) I'm never going to be interested in customisation or anything but file transfer stuff and 8/16 bit emulation (and handhelds) were the main bits I was after, so in that respect it's great. (And yes, I could have just kept a CFW PSP, but I much prefer the size and form of this...)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

RS97 get! Outside of PSP/Vita custom firmware this is probably my first actual "modern retro handheld" thing and after trying a few games and seeing what the USB/file management was like I think it's pretty decent. :) I'm never going to be interested in customisation or anything but file transfer stuff and 8/16 bit emulation (and handhelds) were the main bits I was after, so in that respect it's great. (And yes, I could have just kept a CFW PSP, but I much prefer the size and form of this...)

I really like mine, but I would say that I found the emulation to be loads better after I'd installed custom firmware. I was getting sound glitches and stutters on GBA stuff on the standard firmware, but it's completely flawless now.

• Upvote 2

Want to get my partner something that will play GB & GBA games so nothing too flash but really unsure what to go far with so many options available. Form factor not hugely important but would be good if it looked like either of the two. Any recommendations?

GBA is surprisingly flashy, it's a 32-bit handheld SNES which actually requires quite a bit of power to do properly.

The Pi Zero based ones are... ok but not great with it.

A hacked PSP plays GB and GBA games pretty much flawlessly.

The RG350 plays them perfectly as far as I can tell (as well as PS1, SNES and a whole load of other things). I love it, but it might be a little pricey at about £70, depending on how much you wanted to spend.

I also have an RS-97, and that emulates the system really well, but only after I installed custom firmware. Though I think on the more recent versions even the standard firmware gives you pretty perfect GB and GBA. That's quite a bit cheaper than the RG350 so might be more appealing.

The screens on both of these are very sharp, and the colours are bright. I was actually really happy with the RS97, but the RG350 looked too good to resist.

GB and GBA seem generally okay with the early messing around I've done - clear sound with no stuttering and smooth gameplay. The one thing I did notice - but it might be my old man vision - was that one or two of the emulators may have some kind of smooth visual filter going on? I'm not sure if the pixels are all that pixelly, even when I've tried to scale to 1:1. But that's just a minor thing.

As @David Kenny says a PSP with custom firmware handles Gameboy content well, and the screen on the newer models is pretty nice. :) 

13 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

GB and GBA seem generally okay with the early messing around I've done - clear sound with no stuttering and smooth gameplay. The one thing I did notice - but it might be my old man vision - was that one or two of the emulators may have some kind of smooth visual filter going on? I'm not sure if the pixels are all that pixelly, even when I've tried to scale to 1:1. But that's just a minor thing.

Have you run custom firmware on it? Used loads of these sort of systems that are a bit slow on emulation until they get a dramatic speed boost from a proper update.

I checked a Droidbox forum post and found the internal microSD to write an image to, but the image writing software it recommended failed to write the whole thing - there was an error whilst the progress bar went up - so I cancelled everything because something would probably break if I asked the device to read a corrupted image. I even had some spare microSDs that I formatted and tried to use, but no dice.

Honestly, I can cope with occasional slowness at the moment as the stuff I'm interested in playing runs without issues. However, I may look into it if I want more out of the system. :) 

This looks lovely at $55!

but if only... if only... it had L2 / R2 as well to give enough buttons for comfortable PS1 and N64!

Torn between this one (fast enough for N64 but not enough buttons) vs the RG350 (plenty of buttons but N64 runs really slowly)

• Upvote 1

My Odroid Advance Go has just arrived.

Once I've had time to put it together I'll post my thoughts on it here.  Don't hold your breath though as it might be a day or so before I've built it, got the 'right' disk image sorted and put the games I want on there.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, WizRider said:

My Odroid Advance Go has just arrived.

Once I've had time to put it together I'll post my thoughts on it here.  Don't hold your breath though as it might be a day or so before I've built it, got the 'right' disk image sorted and put the games I want on there.

Where did you order it from mate? Tempted to get one but curious about any customs fees and shipping time if I order direct from them rather than paying nearly an extra 50% but from a UK seller

2 hours ago, dfq23 said:

Where did you order it from mate? Tempted to get one but curious about any customs fees and shipping time if I order direct from them rather than paying nearly an extra 50% but from a UK seller

I bought it from http://www.odroid.co.uk.

Going to build it right now (time allowing).  Will report back soon.

The first thing I'll say is that getting the screen into the case is proving to be a real nightmare.

The 6 clips are proving to be too tight and I'm seeing some stress being put on the LCD.   I know I need to be really careful with it but the amount of force required to squeeze it into the clips is worrying me - I do not want to break the screen so I'm struggling to actually get it fitted.  10 minutes on this alone.