rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

Feels a bit weird replying to myself but this is a terrible experience so far.

I've been on the instant chat with the guys at www.odroid.co.uk and they responded quickly and tried their best to help but beyond saying to bend the case more and to be really careful with the screen (which is naturally what I've been trying to do) they can't help or offer any further advice.

I asked if there was any warranty or replacement parts if it breaks and I was told that there wasn't but I can order the specific broken parts again if needed.  Very helpful - not.

I've been trying to fit the screen for an hour now and all that has happened is that the silver metal backing on the LCD is being pushed off by the 6 clips.  I understand the need for a tight fit but this is ridiculous.

• Empathy 2

Final post for now guys but it's knackered.  The LCD screen broke:

20200212_104859.thumb.jpg.0995b788eaa1ed17e462e26f92cd4d7b.jpg

I finally, after so much trying managed to get it to fit but it was honestly an absolute pain in the arse.  Took well over an hour and ultimately it had obviously had enough at one point.  I didn't notice until I got it clipped into place and then took the protective screen cover off.  Only at that point did I see the hair line crack across the LCD.  I was gutted.  I was 100% honestly trying so carefully not to damage it.

The rest of the build went well and was easy enough.  There was a small and fiddly cable to be plugged in but it was nothing really.  It took about 1.5 hours to get the screen in and a further 20 minutes to build the rest and that was with me going carefully, watching the video step by step.   You could build one of these in 10 minutes (LCD screen not withstanding).  I was really impressed with everything apart from the screen fitting (arguably the most important part though).

One other thing to mention is the support from the person at www.odroid.co.uk.  They were polite, professional and did try to give me some suggestions but ultimately they (a) didn't care enough to offer me a replacement despite me making it clear I'd been REALLY careful, (b) blamed the tight margins on the manufacturing process and suggested I give the engineers some feedback and (c) wouldn't allow me to post our conversation on here which was a shame too.

Overall, I can't recommend it at this time despite wanting to as the screen fitting was just so bad.  Everything else was as good or better than I expected.  If they could just give a millimetre of extra room it'd be ideal.  What I can say for 100% certainty is that I could NOT just pop the screen in like they show in their video - no way.

I'm tied into it now so will buy a replacement screen for £17.19 (inc. delivery) and will try again to get it built.

Thanks for reading my ramble - hope it's useful to someone.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 8

You're a hell of a lot nicer to them than I would be.  They provided a faulty product so they can replace it b) is bullshit and I'd be entirely ignoring c)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, WizRider said:

(b) blamed the tight margins on the manufacturing process and suggested I give the engineers some feedback and (c) wouldn't allow me to post our conversation on here which was a shame too.

This all sounds like terrible customer service. Obviously, putting the screen should have been as easy as they advertised it was in the video, in my mind they sold you a defective product. And then to tell you to give feedback to the engineers? And telling you you're not allowed to post the conversation between you and their help desk? What a bunch of wankers.

I'd be posting it to warn people, because fuck them.

• Upvote 1

The thing is, there are lots of people on the odroid forums who have built it successfully which bring my own experiences into doubt.

Having said that, I'm not an idiot, I tried really hard and was REALLY careful.  It didn't go well for me but maybe I was unlucky somehow?  Maybe my case was part of a batch that was VERY slightly differently.

I've no idea so all I can write about is my personal experience and it was nothing like the video they suggest you follow.  Your mileage might vary - I hope it does as it looks like it'll be a really good bit of kit.

Post up the convo, what's the harm? Chuck it on pastebin and link it here maybe.

You weren't talking to yourself, btw. This is extremely useful, and I feel for you that it's broken. This is the kind of thing that puts me off all this. Generally, old hardware was constructed so well (in my experience) and stuff today is really built like shit. I get that it's relatively cheap, but they are just 3D printing this shit etc, and it's not like SNK back in the day spending so much time and money in R&D, then wrote games.

This emu shit is just riding on the coattails.

Anyway, I am not against emulation at all, just, I dunno, when people sell things and don't support it properly.

I work for a small manufacturer, and we go to great lengths for R&D, process control, safety checking, EMI checks, CE marking, bla bla bla...

Rant over. I hope you get it running as I do like the look of this. I would like a microswitched "analogue" stick though, that would be amazeballs, but no-one is offering that.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comments guys.  Nice to hear especially as I'm feeling quite annoyed and pissed off right now.

I won't post the conversation with their support team online (as much as I'd like to) as they asked me not to and I said I wouldn't.  It wouldn't be right for me to go back on that now.

I'm hoping I'll get the replacement screen in the post by the weekend at which point I'll try to fit it again and will write up how I get on again.  It might be that I get lucky next time or figure something better out.  If I do, I'll post any tips I come up with too.

I'm a big fan of having original hardware (I have 20+ systems all wired up to a plasma via a Framemeister along with a CRT) and there's nothing like playing on the original kit.

I do like emulation though and it has its place and I was just hoping that this project would be a bit of fun and would give me something else to tinker with.

That hasn't happened and I've got very sore thumbs now (but for all the wrong reasons).

• Empathy 1

There's a new Evercade cart on the way for Summer. Covers a big chunk of the Lynx library:

Evercade ‘Atari Lynx Collection 1’ Games List:

Scrapyard Dog

Basketbrawl

Super Asteroids/Missile Command®

Awesome Golf

Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure

CyberVirus

Dracula the Undead

Gordo 106

Ishido: The Way of Stones

Jimmy Connors Tennis

Loopz

Malibu Bikini Volleyball

MegaPak

Power Factor

Remnant

Super Sqweek

Xump

Morning guys.

I received a new LCD screen for my Odroid Go Advance yesterday (it came very quickly so some kudos to them for getting the replacement out the same day).

I decided that I wasn't going to be defeated this time and took a different approach - I ignored their video on how to get the screen in.

Instead, I found it much easier to use a very thin knife to help with the 3 difficult clips.  I got one side of the screen under the first 3 clips (there are 3 top and 3 bottom).  Getting the bottom ones in first was straight forward enough - the screen was half in but that was the easy bit:

1217706833_Halfin.png.194c7934cd0c1e51e84c1fbbada0aba5.png

Then, rather than try to push hard to force the other 3 clips in as per the suggested method in the video:

531274804_Dontdothis.png.135119f60d6ce57f69b5b2321396f7a8.png

Instead, and I wish I'd done this first time around, found a thin knife and placed it between the edge of the screen and the clip (where the green line is) and using it as a small lever I pushed the clip back and the screen in, clip by clip.  Took 2 minutes once I'd realised how best to do it:

428773950_Dodothis.png.dadbcc50133e352029e7bfab3e3076d6.png

So, had those instructions been given to me either in the video or suggested by the support chat on the odroid.co.uk website it would have been easy.

The rest is really easy too and I could now build one in 5 to 10 minutes.  Once built it's a nice bit of kit and the screen is lovely.

So, now I've learned the hard way, I can recommend the Odroid Advance Go.  Lovely bit of kit, lovely screen, nice enough controls (not quite up to the standard of a NES or SNES pad though) and it runs games really well.

The software (the default image they recommend) is not great.  Yes it comes with about 20 emulators all pre-configured and you can simply drop your games into the right folder over a network share (I bought an extra compatible USB WiFi dongle for it).  That's all configured and easy too.

My only issue is that I, personally, like to tweak the settings for the emulators (via the RetroArch menu) to add scanlines, turn off non-integer scaling etc.  You can't do any of that with the default OS software/image.

Another gripe is that you can only, currently, change the volume in EmulationStation using software and can't change it again once in game.  You have to quit and change it and then go back to your game.  Not the end of the world but there are enough buttons to do it - just got to wait for an update I guess.

There are other versions of the software and ETA Prime has a video or two on these and I might give them a go especially if they allow me to access the RetroArch menu from within the games.

Hope that update gives you a bit more confidence in the device - I'm pleased I bought it now and it does work really well.  I just had a VERY bad initial experience and the video and the company didn't really help me much.

• Upvote 5

Nice work! 

It's valuable to document your experience; constant final videos showing things running doesn't really get into the details as you have here. So, sorry for the pain and anguish, but you've definitely helped people here!

Congrats and enjoy the gaming! :)

Got a final pic?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sharak said:

Nice work! 

It's valuable to document your experience; constant final videos showing things running doesn't really get into the details as you have here. So, sorry for the pain and anguish, but you've definitely helped people here!

Congrats and enjoy the gaming! :)

Got a final pic?

Thanks Sharak.

I'm away for the weekend and will be taking it with me so I'll definitely be enjoying some classic games when storm Dennis is raging outside.

Here's a final picture as requested:

20200214_115336.thumb.jpg.cf826602b1a2c2c868eca4e2ebbf9967.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

There's a new Evercade cart on the way for Summer. Covers a big chunk of the Lynx library:

Evercade ‘Atari Lynx Collection 1’ Games List:

Scrapyard Dog

Basketbrawl

Super Asteroids/Missile Command®

Awesome Golf

Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure

CyberVirus

Dracula the Undead

Gordo 106

Ishido: The Way of Stones

Jimmy Connors Tennis

Loopz

Malibu Bikini Volleyball

MegaPak

Power Factor

Remnant

Super Sqweek

Xump

Well that's excellent news, I'll be having one of those.

Depends on what machines you want to emulate and how much you're willing to spend.

Up to and including PSX, the RG350 is a good selection. N64 emulation is very slow on it though. GK350H is more powerful but it doesn't have an N64 emulator so that power's not really needed, and it doesn't have L2/R2 buttons so PSX emulation suffers.

Odroid Advance Go (see above) is another good new challenger. It's cheap, it has the power for N64 but again it has limited number of buttons though, making it uncomfortable or impractical to play a lot of PSX (the 'best' options for L2/R2 equivalents are the bottom row of 6 buttons, which are hard to reach if your thumbs are on ABXY or D-Pad) or N64 (C-buttons). Build quality isn't up to RG350 standards.

If you're willing to spend £200 on GPD XD+ then GameCube and most PSP begins to open up. It has high build quality too. Pricey though.

Powkiddy X18 is a slightly slower version (GameCube becomes unplayable) yet only costs £100; a shame it looks like a 'hardcore l33t gamer' pc accessory though.

I think best 'overall' at the moment on balance of budget, performance, build quality and community support is the RG350.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nifta said:

Depends on what machines you want to emulate and how much you're willing to spend.

Up to and including PSX, the RG350 is a good selection. N64 emulation is very slow on it though. GK350H is more powerful but it doesn't have an N64 emulator so that power's not really needed, and it doesn't have L2/R2 buttons so PSX emulation suffers.

Odroid Advance Go (see above) is another good new challenger. It's cheap, it has the power for N64 but again it has limited number of buttons though, making it uncomfortable or impractical to play a lot of PSX (the 'best' options for L2/R2 equivalents are the bottom row of 6 buttons, which are hard to reach if your thumbs are on ABXY or D-Pad) or N64 (C-buttons). Build quality isn't up to RG350 standards.

If you're willing to spend £200 on GPD XD+ then GameCube and most PSP begins to open up. It has high build quality too. Pricey though.

Powkiddy X18 is a slightly slower version (GameCube becomes unplayable) yet only costs £100; a shame it looks like a 'hardcore l33t gamer' pc accessory though.

I think best 'overall' at the moment on balance of budget, performance, build quality and community support is the RG350.

Can the RG350 do Amiga emulation? I'm presuming it can emulate all the 8bit micros with no problem - but do emulators for c64 and spectrum exist for it? 

8 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Can the RG350 do Amiga emulation? I'm presuming it can emulate all the 8bit micros with no problem - but do emulators for c64 and spectrum exist for it? 

Yep it has releases of UAE4ALL, Vice and Speccy that are being maintained and improved by the community.

• Upvote 2

I've had both an RG350 and now the Odroid Advance Go (see above) and I'd recommend the Odroid over the RG350 despite the initial problems I had.

It's more powerful, the controls are better, it's cheaper (just) and I think the screen is better too (though that's personal opinion).

Regardless of which you pick, you'll still have a great experience.

5 hours ago, WizRider said:

I've had both an RG350 and now the Odroid Advance Go (see above) and I'd recommend the Odroid over the RG350 despite the initial problems I had.

It's more powerful, the controls are better, it's cheaper (just) and I think the screen is better too (though that's personal opinion).

Regardless of which you pick, you'll still have a great experience.

Where are they cheaper? 

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Where are they cheaper? 

On odroid.co.uk the Odroid Advance Go is £78 and on Amazon (where I bought my RG350 from) the RG350 is £79.95.

Not much in it really though.  Actually thinking back, I paid more than £79.95 for my RG350 which is probably why I thought the price difference was greater than it is.

I'd still pick the Odroid Advance Go though.

If someone could mod in L2/R2 to the Odroid in comfortable positions I'd agree. It's the only thing that's making me favour the RG350. I really need those extra buttons that can be used by my Index finger / Middle finger; the six 'function' buttons along the bottom of the screen need thumbs to use and just don't cut it for me :/

I've seen an Etsy store selling modded GK350Hs with added L2/R2 recently, so, hope springs :)

After a couple of days tinkering with it, I'm really impressed with the RG350. Got the Rogue custom firmware on it and it's flying. Mainly interested in SNES and below (specifically Neo Geo / Pocket) and it's flawless. Highly recommended.

On 01/03/2020 at 07:59, bm said:

After a couple of days tinkering with it, I'm really impressed with the RG350. Got the Rogue custom firmware on it and it's flying. Mainly interested in SNES and below (specifically Neo Geo / Pocket) and it's flawless. Highly recommended.

Mine should be arriving today. What advantage do you get from the Rogue firmware?

48 minutes ago, Zico said:

Mine should be arriving today. What advantage do you get from the Rogue firmware?

I think it over-clocks the console slightly and adds in a load of extra emulators. Feels nicer, though that may be psychological.. 

• Upvote 1

Can anyone with an RG350 and GBA experience comment on the quality of the emulation? That's principally why I bought an RG350 but even remembering that the sound on the GBA was always poor I was very surprised with what came out when I was running Mother 3 yesterday. It's been 15 years since I played the proper hardware and I'm not looking for perfection but is it reasonable with ReGBA?

Are you playing the sound through the speakers or through headphones? I've just compared Advance Wars in a GBA SP, with the same game on the RG350 and there's not much between them through the speakers.

Through headphones on the RG350 it's not as fuzzy, but it still has that authentic tinny quality! So I think it might just be your memory I'm afraid. 

I only managed the speakers - I like the music in Mother 3 and didn’t want to hear it besmirched any further! That’s good to know though, thanks for checking. I always remembered the real thing sounding rough but over the years have forgotten just how poor it was.