rllmuk

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

I've got an odroid go but I haven't built it yet so will be using your technique to put the screen in.

I do have a GPD XD+ as well but haven't really used it yet.

I quite like the look of the RG350M that is on the horizon. Anyone got one yet?

• Upvote 1

My RG350M arrived today and it's a really neat system. Looks amazing with the aluminium case and plays just about everything I've thrown at it. Only concern I've had is with that case it weighs a fair old tonne. Really heavy in the hands and can see it being a problem with prolonged sessions, not sure what the plastic version is like to hold but its giving me second thoughts about this. None of the YT reviews I watched mentioned that at all.

I bought a RG350 after sending the faulty PC Engine Mini back. Needed to scratch that PC Engine itch. Plastic one is nice and lightweight and comfortable to use. It's lighter than my mobile phone! I got one for about £55 shipped new from eBay.

Not sure I'd recommend it for PC Engine CD emulation though. Temper seems to be really picky about formats and whilst I found a fix, that puts CD audio tracks out of sync.

Plus so far I've not found a way to remap the Temper menu away from Select making certain games a pain as I've had to remap it to the shoulder. Might need to RTFM...!

• Upvote 2

Nice. Incidentally... I fixed one of the issues I had. Turns out Temper wasn't the latest version and after grabbing that, it moves the menu to the Power Button so now I can use Select to trigger the Item specials in Rondo of Blood without mapping it to a shoulder. If you don't know, the RG350 is compatible with GCW Zero OPK's.

Discovered that digging around on the Dingoonity forums. Dingux has progressed a bit since I last used it on a A320 Dingoo!

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Does anyone know how to remap the controls on Streets of Rage Remake without it locking up? I have a RG300 but it's the same opk across all devices.

It's buggy as anything, never been able to play it on a single system without problems. Could try deleting and reinstalling to see if that helps.

Yeah, deleting the save file enables the controls again, but you still can't remap them. Bit of a pain as if you want to select a different version of a character you should press the 'police' button but there's no way to bind it to one.

What is the cheapest option for me to play some GBA games?

I just want something i can sit in the garden and play or sit in bed and have an hour or so before bed.

I mean i can use all my consoles etc or my pcs but i just want something handheld to have a go on.

8 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

What is the cheapest option for me to play some GBA games?

I just want something i can sit in the garden and play or sit in bed and have an hour or so before bed.

I mean i can use all my consoles etc or my pcs but i just want something handheld to have a go on.

a GBA SP AG101? Best form factor and screeeeeeeeeen

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

Shame DS doesn’t do GB and GBC games though. 

Would i be better off with something like this then?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PocketGO-Portable-Handheld-Progress-External-white/dp/B07SSXMNPW/ref=pd_sbs_63_11?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07SSXMNPW&pd_rd_r=fb8df5bc-1876-4e56-a146-9f723244401f&pd_rd_w=bcWFp&pd_rd_wg=jaf97&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=1YH2JM9NVWGE0J4PDE5X&refRID=1YH2JM9NVWGE0J4PDE5X&th=1

I know it wont run my carts so i will loose my save data but it looks like i could just emulate it all instead.

9 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Thank you and sorry for disrupting the thread. 

That's what it's here for :) There's a great channel with lots of reviews on different handhelds if you want a more visual look to help you decide on something:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKF5151a6yAooOILrYTvfJg/videos

I'd also give AliExpress a once over as they supply most of what you are looking for. Usually takes a couple of weeks for delivery.

I'm kinda getting into the idea of having one of these, vaguely resembling the system, to play each system.

Like it'd be cool if my GPi was just GB (right now it's got GG, Lynx and GBC on).

That PocketGo looks like the perfect GBA candidate but I'm worried by the vague mentions of needing frameskip, has anyone done a lot of GBA specifically on these?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I'm kinda getting into the idea of having one of these, vaguely resembling the system, to play each system.

Like it'd be cool if my GPi was just GB (right now it's got GG, Lynx and GBC on).

That PocketGo looks like the perfect GBA candidate but I'm worried by the vague mentions of needing frameskip, has anyone done a lot of GBA specifically on these?

This is a good watch!

• Upvote 1

I decided to build the Odroid Go Advance today.

Screen went in fine. No problems.

Was going so well until I snapped the ribbon connector that holds the analog stick ribbon because I couldn't figure out how the lever opened (and fat fingers!!!).

So got an expensive paperweight now.

Really gutted. Odroid want another £50 for a replacement board.

Sod that.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2
2 hours ago, AceGrace said:

I decided to build the Odroid Go Advance today.

Screen went in fine. No problems.

Was going so well until I snapped the ribbon connector that holds the analog stick ribbon because I couldn't figure out how the lever opened (and fat fingers!!!).

So got an expensive paperweight now.

Really gutted. Odroid want another £50 for a replacement board.

Sod that.

Reading your story and whoever it was previous in this thread (apologies i cant remember) makes me think this is one of those projects which so isnt worth the time and effort involved in any level.

Is it a piece that can be soldered back to the board itself?

Their loads of talented guys in this part of the forum with skills for things like that. 

I think if you posted some photos into the thread someone will be able to help you out.

• Upvote 1