rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

I've not tried Geo, the Mega Drive is virtually perfect, the SNES a smidge off. I'd check but.... well see previous post.

Given it's just a Pi0 you can probably find much better reviews of that online.  I will say the screen is absolutely fine for the 2 big 16-bits.

Nice. Always liked the feel of the game boy. With this and the RG360M I think I'm covered for handheld emulation.

2 hours ago, watusi said:

How did u manage that bargain price! Shows at £75 for me

Which ArcadePunks download did you get? The 32gb one doesn't have any peers.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Which ArcadePunks download did you get? The 32gb one doesn't have any peers.

I got the Supreme Gpi loaded 32gb

Link removed

Edited by Lorfarius
Sorry, but can't post public links to rom files!

Cool. It doesn't seem to be listed under the Pi Zero images.

Downloading now. Cheers

1 minute ago, AceGrace said:

Cool. It doesn't seem to be listed under the Pi Zero images.

Downloading now. Cheers

I think they are just Pi Zero ones and not GPi specific as the ones on that link have all the scripts for soft shut down etc already done

Won't take too long for that to come down or drop in price second hand. Great thing about it just how far tech has come and that much better stuff is just around the corner.

• Upvote 3

Just found out i'm gonna be furloughed yet again so reluctantly had to list my GPi for sale after only just getting it, assembling it and installing an image :(

Turned out the bargain price from Droix was total BS and only found out when I contacted them after tracking showed it hadn't been dispatched. They told me it was "unavailable" but I could have a ready built one for twice the price. 

Got one from a seller on Ebay in the end

• Empathy 4

I've now received my RG350M.

I put it on charge and after 2 hours the light was still red.  The battery was 100%

My question is, does the red light turn off at all?

39 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I've now received my RG350M.

I put it on charge and after 2 hours the light was still red.  The battery was 100%

My question is, does the red light turn off at all?

Mine doesn't.

My light turns off, if I charge over night the light has gone off by the morning

I left it on charge all night but the light was still on this morning. It's at 100% for me.

Haven't done anything with mine. Exactly the same setup as when it arrived.

Bit of a specific question.

Can anyone give a pointer to a OS or theme that shows a list of recently played ROMs? Don't want to have to scroll through a huge list each time I want to contribute my game?

Cheers, I'm sure that this is an obvious question.

Having ordered an Odroid Go Advance around 6 weeks ago after a significant period beforehand of pondering; pointless pontification; and research (where I briefly considered the RG350 but was charmed by the ramshackle, build-it-yourself nature of the Odroid) I obviously then more or less totally forgot all about it and moved on to whatever the next thing to endlessly research and consider was (a MISTer probably, which I've yet to pull the trigger on - but it provides lots of distraction during the long, working from home days as my productivity scrapes along the floor. But anyway).

As such, I was surprised when it arrived today, as while I basically knew it was due to arrive at some point in June, the endless stretch of every day being essentially exactly the same had me lose track of all sense of time. Equally surprising was when I opened it up and it was actually a *new* model. Who knew? Certainly not me.

The differences are minimal, but nonetheless interesting. L2 and R2 buttons seem like a sensible, welcome addition and apparently the motherboard now comes with wifi built in (and some say bluetooth, but opinions differ); and it now charges with USB-C. Oh - and it's black now! Obviously the new additions seem only sporadically supported by the various distros already available for it right now, but I'm sure that'll change in the coming weeks.

Thankfully, despite the fear I had after reading previous posts on here about my giant, clumsy hands smashing the delicate screen to smithereens, it was a surprisingly hassle free build (doubtless helped by the fact they seem to have revised the instructions to now say "Look, just bend the case so the screen fits and it'll probably be fine") and it feels both pleasingly amateurish (The cheap clicky buttons! The slightly crap speaker! The case looking like it's been 3D printed!) and professional (The excellent screen! The fact it seems to run everything you throw at it! The bewildering configurability and slight depression of myriad slightly different, deficient in differing way OSs!) at the same time.

• Upvote 5

So then, I have an RG350M. It's really nicely made - feels a bit underpowered though for PS1 and a lot of arcade stuff.

I'm trying to navigate the 406 different arcade emulator options.

Mame4all 

MAME v0.37b5 romset

XMame 

MAME v0.37b16 romset 

MAME v0.69u3 romset 

MAME v0.84u6 romset

FinalBurnAlpha  .35

FBA v0.2.97.35 romset

FinalBurnAlpha  .44 -

FBN v0.2.97.44 romset

I'm guessing its the case that some games work better on specific sets. Just wondered whether anyone has worked through this and settled on a sweet spot?

The thing about MAME is, they don't want you playing games on it really.  If something will be 0.01% more accurate but kill speed or even stop things running properly in full they'll happily do it.

I also received my RG350M today and feel blown away to be playing Dodonpachi, Dangun Feveron and Progear at 60fps on this little device. Quite magical. Some PS1 stuff is a bit sluggish though, unfortunately. I didn't completely believe or expect perfection, and plenty of this stuff didn't run very well at the time, but I guess I'll have to spend a bit more time to get things running a bit better, if possible. 

Thanks to @Lorfarius I also became the proud owner of a RG350M today. As a complete novice If anyone wants to give me some advice for getting the most out of it I would be grateful. I have never even downloaded any MAME roms in my life. I need to play Wardner again!

• Upvote 1

Im also the proud owner of an RG350M thanks to this thread. Its absolutely lovely! First two games on my list are FF7 and one of the advance wars games (cant remember which one was best).

My 7 year old is currently playing Streets of Rage 1,2 and 3, as we have spent the last few weeks playing Streets of Rage 4, and he wanted to see the first games :wub:

Is it worth switching to the rogue firmware? Are there any emulators that people recommend over the ones that come with the Droix card? Does it play N64 games well?

16 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Im also the proud owner of an RG350M thanks to this thread. Its absolutely lovely! First two games on my list are FF7 and one of the advance wars games (cant remember which one was best).

My 7 year old is currently playing Streets of Rage 1,2 and 3, as we have spent the last few weeks playing Streets of Rage 4, and he wanted to see the first games :wub:

Is it worth switching to the rogue firmware? Are there any emulators that people recommend over the ones that come with the Droix card? Does it play N64 games well?

From what I've read there isn't much point in switching to Rogue, it doesn't improve performance - often worsens it:

Couple sites to grab additional homebrew games and emulators from:

https://github.com/retrogamehandheld

https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/RG-350/

I've not coming across anything to replace the stock emulators though.

• Upvote 2