rllmuk

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

I'm taking myself in circles here: I'd like a small, comfy little handheld to play pre-ps1 era games. But whenever I find one that seems about right I spot some drawback - tiny battery, terrible d-pad, etc. (And then end up looking at more expensive ones that pack more power then I might need) Is there any any one device that's well regarded for 16-bit and earlier and not too expensive?

Now that I've got mine all working fine, despite the battle I had with the screen in the first instance, the Odroid Advance is a great bit of kit.

I highly recommend it.

I also bought my brother a RG350 for Xmas and that's probably on par overall with the Odroid Advance.  You won't go too far wrong with either.

Chinese clone of the Odroid Advance. YT reviews say you can even take the SD card out of the Odroid and stick in here as they run exactly the same firmware and tear downs show the same PCB

On 17/06/2020 at 11:36, WizRider said:

Now that I've got mine all working fine, despite the battle I had with the screen in the first instance, the Odroid Advance is a great bit of kit.

I highly recommend it.

I also bought my brother a RG350 for Xmas and that's probably on par overall with the Odroid Advance.  You won't go too far wrong with either.

Thanks! I went for the path of least resistance with an RG350. Looking forward to getting it!

• Upvote 1

Im thinking of selling my switch (never play it) and picking up one of these retro handhelds. Im not willing to pay silly money and looking to play games from PS1 backwards with a decent battery life. 

Is the RG350 my best bet?

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I would probably go vita if you wanted to do ps1 stuff. 

Don't think I'm technically minded enough to hack the vita. 

The RG350 supposedly plays most games without any issues. 

Nearly pulled the trigger on an RG350 all day but I'm worried about the comfort of the thing as I have massive hands. 

22 minutes ago, Ry said:

Don't think I'm technically minded enough to hack the vita. 

The RG350 supposedly plays most games without any issues. 

Nearly pulled the trigger on an RG350 all day but I'm worried about the comfort of the thing as I have massive hands. 

Just a PSP would do for PS1 stuff, it's literally got a PS1 emulator, by Sony, built in!!

Hey guys,

Just about to hit buy on an RG350M and wondered if any of you who have one use it with a MacBook Pro on Catalina? Any issues with them talking to each other or is it just a case of dropping files on through a card reader etc?

Thanks in advance,

Si

5 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I was about to get an RG350, but can’t figure out why the benefits would be of paying out more for the RG350M?

Better sticks and overall build quality I think.

Edit: the new screen has a considerably higher resolution.

I just picked up a pre loaded 350. Was pondering between that and the 350M for days. 

The guy selling the normal version offered to fully load the thing with whatever I wanted. So I went for that. Cost £78.

Also bought a wee mod sticker for it. Hopefully it looks decent. Will post pics when it arrives. 

16 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Just sell it on here. They’re in demand.

Yeah I will try that. Just want to get my money back. 

It's coming fully loaded so if you know anyone interested then let me know. :)

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Yeah I will try that. Just want to get my money back. 

It's coming fully loaded so if you know anyone interested then let me know. :)

I may be interested as it happens. Let us know when it arrives and I'll see if I'm tempted enough!

49 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I may be interested as it happens. Let us know when it arrives and I'll see if I'm tempted enough!

No worries. Cheers

• Upvote 1
On 01/07/2020 at 15:12, Rex Grossman said:

Should be arriving soon. How much were you looking to spend out of interest? Im hoping to just get my money back tbh.

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Should be arriving soon. How much were you looking to spend out of interest? Im hoping to just get my money back tbh.

I saw it for £105, which I'm guessing is what you paid?

3 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I saw it for £105, which I'm guessing is what you paid?

Its not the M btw. Its just the RG350 im selling, im keeping the M for myself. Although i might change my mind. I will see when both arrive. 

I have been chatting with the seller of the 350 over the last few days and he been loading everything i have asked for and testing everything on it. He says its the best pack he has done. He was raving about Doom and Quake built not to mention Streets of Rage Remake. Oh and i made sure he got Snatcher on the Mega CD in there :)

I asked him to load it with a few PS1 classics and fighting games and shmups. He gave me a list of PS1 games he put on (see pic) but i asked him to remove a few of them and surprise me :)

To be honest its the Final Burn Alpha emulator im most looking forward to using on the thing. 

Im just hoping i can copy the details from the memory card onto a 128gb i have here and swap them out ok. If not i will just sell the 350M with the memory card. 

ffff.jpg

So, a lot of you have had these rg350s for a while by now- does the ps1 emulation hold up? 

What about anything beyond it- can it struggle through some n64 games? 

On 25/06/2020 at 09:55, Ry said:

Im thinking of selling my switch (never play it) and picking up one of these retro handhelds. Im not willing to pay silly money and looking to play games from PS1 backwards with a decent battery life. 

Is the RG350 my best bet?

Homebrewing the switch not an option if you don't use it? 

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Homebrewing the switch not an option if you don't use it? 

Wouldn't know where to start.

9 hours ago, Wonderm said:

So, a lot of you have had these rg350s for a while by now- does the ps1 emulation hold up? 

From what I have seen and read online (I must have spent 10 hours minimum researching the thing) 90% of the games are flawless. 

Im going to upload a video testing them when mine arrives. 

12 hours ago, Wonderm said:

So far PS1 emulation is pretty much perfect. Tekken 3 is the only game I've tried that it seems to struggle with.

N64 not so much. I tried Goldeneye but it's unplayable. Other than that I'm not sure, what's the go to title for N64 emulator testing?