Jump to content
rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

Recommended Posts

Managed to pick one of these up for £50 off Shpock this morning. Haven't had a look in as the missus has renewed her MD Sonic obsession instead. 

 

Great bargain anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My (first) rg350 arrived today. I heard it was the best on the market but I'm actually more impressed. The build equality is top notch. 

 

Everything I have played has worked perfectly as well.

 

Looking forward to the metal version arriving soon . If anyone wants to buy this one then PM me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 350M arrived. It's great. Although most of the FBA ROMs are not working and they were all fine on the 350. 

 

Selling my 350 if anyone is interested. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a great piece of kit. Love the dual sticks allowing vertical shooters to just switch and let them play how they should in FBA too. 

 

Only game I've had trouble with is Mr Driller on PS1 which keeps flickering. Shame but only problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Its a great piece of kit. Love the dual sticks allowing vertical shooters to just switch and let them play how they should in FBA too. 

 

Only game I've had trouble with is Mr Driller on PS1 which keeps flickering. Shame but only problem. 

 

Which version of FBA are you using?

 

Most of the roms pre installed in the M are not working for me. 

 

I don't know how to add the correct Romset to it. I don't have any issues with consoles in general.

 

MAME and FBA are pretty useless for me. Which sucks as the one I'm selling is fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I've asked this in here before, but don't think anyone answered. In have an RG350 and previously had the RG300. Both undeniably fantastic, but I want some kind of firmware/skin/os which would give easy access to recently played items, so I don't have to scroll through thousands of games if I want to switch off and replay something later.

 

Anyone found a solution to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2020 at 14:36, Ry said:

 

Which version of FBA are you using?

 

Most of the roms pre installed in the M are not working for me. 

 

I don't know how to add the correct Romset to it. I don't have any issues with consoles in general.

 

MAME and FBA are pretty useless for me. Which sucks as the one I'm selling is fine. 

 

FBA v0.2.97.44 for Opendingux/RG350 

 

No problems with it so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up the RG350M the other day after hearing not a bad thing said about it. What a lovely bit of kit. As many have already said it really does feel great in the hand, well built and very tactile. Love the little clicks from the shoulder buttons... very neo geo. The twin sticks really are some of the best I’ve used.

 

Emulation wise, super impressed. Especially GBA/SNES, neo geo and PS1. Playing the likes of R Type Delta, Einhander, RR Type 4 etc... man, just brilliant and they run so well. So cool playing these on a handheld that looks as good as this does.

 

Screen is lovely, makes you wish it was a little bigger, but no real complaints. Sounds good too, if a little tinny. 


Really easy to put new stuff on too. Was worried that it might be a pain as I have a Mac, but couldn’t be easier. They talk to each other just fine.

 

There is something really great about having a collection of games that I grew up with all on one device... and that I can just take it with me. More importantly tho is that it feels ‘right’ when it’s in your hand. Brilliant stuff.

 

Just a quick shout out to DroidBox, I bought it just before 2pm and it was with me the next morn. Great price with the bonus of a set up 64gb card. 
 

I know it’s not the most powerful system out there but what it does do it does so well and it’s the best feeling, looking one out there, hands down.  It almost feels ‘official’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wonderm said:

The RK2020 is better than half price on amazon there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089NQDM72/

 

Has anyone pulled the trigger on one of those yet? 

 

Take no notice of that price. They've never been that much really.

That's from a marketplace seller in China.  You can get one from Aliexpress with a 64gig card delivered for about 60 quid which is also Gonna be a seller from China and the Ali buyers protection is excellent

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SiRetro said:

Picked up the RG350M the other day after hearing not a bad thing said about it. What a lovely bit of kit. As many have already said it really does feel great in the hand, well built and very tactile. Love the little clicks from the shoulder buttons... very neo geo. The twin sticks really are some of the best I’ve used.

 

Emulation wise, super impressed. Especially GBA/SNES, neo geo and PS1. Playing the likes of R Type Delta, Einhander, RR Type 4 etc... man, just brilliant and they run so well. So cool playing these on a handheld that looks as good as this does.

 

Screen is lovely, makes you wish it was a little bigger, but no real complaints. Sounds good too, if a little tinny. 


Really easy to put new stuff on too. Was worried that it might be a pain as I have a Mac, but couldn’t be easier. They talk to each other just fine.

 

There is something really great about having a collection of games that I grew up with all on one device... and that I can just take it with me. More importantly tho is that it feels ‘right’ when it’s in your hand. Brilliant stuff.

 

Just a quick shout out to DroidBox, I bought it just before 2pm and it was with me the next morn. Great price with the bonus of a set up 64gb card. 
 

I know it’s not the most powerful system out there but what it does do it does so well and it’s the best feeling, looking one out there, hands down.  It almost feels ‘official’. 

 

this reads like an advert in disguise

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Myshkin said:

 

this reads like an advert in disguise

:huh: It’s no advert mate, I’m just genuinely really impressed with it. Sorry, I thought it may help anyone who was on the fence with getting one... like I was. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Myshkin said:

 

this reads like an advert in disguise

 

People have said the same sort of things before tbf. He's not saying anything unusual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SiRetro said:

:huh: It’s no advert mate, I’m just genuinely really impressed with it. Sorry, I thought it may help anyone who was on the fence with getting one... like I was. 
 

They really are excellent. My only issue with it is the issue I have with all emulation; picking a title and actually playing it instead of flitting between any of the thousands of titles available, and playing each one for only a few minutes before moving on. Or even more likely, loading up Super Punch Out again and giving Gabby Jay another royal pounding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

They really are excellent. My only issue with it is the issue I have with all emulation; picking a title and actually playing it instead of flitting between any of the thousands of titles available, and playing each one for only a few minutes before moving on. Or even more likely, loading up Super Punch Out again and giving Gabby Jay another royal pounding.

 

We've all been there.

 

Do these modern retro handhelds have a decent sleep mode, à la the DS?

 

I quite like the idea of picking one of these machines up, starting one game and sticking with it, almost as if pretending there's a cartridge in the slot.

 

I'm not hardcore enough to want to replicate the full pre-battery-backup experience of always starting every game from scratch! But I've just found in the past with emulation that even the act of having to pick a game from the menu gives me a kind of option paralysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, unfortunately they don't. They do have whatever save state functionality the emulator offers, so it's quite easy to get back to where you were. But you still need to load the emulator, load the rom, then load the save state.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bums. This was what always hindered me from using my DS flash cart as much as I'd have liked. You could close the lid but it would keep running the battery down (I think because the CPU in the flash cart itself keeps drawing power, and is quite thirsty).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

They really are excellent. My only issue with it is the issue I have with all emulation; picking a title and actually playing it instead of flitting between any of the thousands of titles available, and playing each one for only a few minutes before moving on. Or even more likely, loading up Super Punch Out again and giving Gabby Jay another royal pounding.

I know what you mean, I’m almost considering having a separate card with just a selected few titles on, help focus on playing a single title for longer than 5 mins. Hadn’t played RR Type 4 for years, genuinely surprised at how well it still plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GPD is android so in theory should sleep as well as any other android device does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me a long time to curate my collection down to about 30 titles per system, and it's been well worth it.

 

(Except C64 - 600MB and I have every C64 game ever, which I love).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a 350M from Droid box as well this week, and the whole process was very painless and it turned up a day early. 

 

Great piece of kit and im getting used to the weight. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add me to the list of people who picked up a 350M from DroidBox. Thanks...this thread. It's sat, waiting for me to get home!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

Whoop whoop just picked this up, Facebook marketplace bargain at £60. Immaculate condition. 

IMG_20200730_175759.jpg

 

 

Wow, that is a bargain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd appreciate any tips about getting some of the games optimised. MAME especially seems hit n miss, Donpachi runs really well but Gunbird must run at about 2fps. Also only tried Castlevania Chronicles on PS1 and that runs like a dog too. 

 

For balance, added that PacMan CE NES Demake and the dpad is the best on any of my handhelds. And vertical mode for those old MAME shooters and vintage arcade stuff (Mr Do!) is especially nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogue firmware gives around a 7% overclock I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've allegedly got an RK2020 on the way from Ali-express for 47 quid. I can go and have a nose around, but is there a good place for getting the firmware please?  thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.