Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

On 07/08/2020 at 18:05, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I've allegedly got an RK2020 on the way from Ali-express for 47 quid. I can go and have a nose around, but is there a good place for getting the firmware please?  thank you

The Retro Gaming Handhelds discord has a 'Releases' channel for most handhelds including the rk2020 with links to firmware

https://discord.gg/wurh4WM

https://www.rghandhelds.com/

• Upvote 1
On 31/07/2020 at 22:04, Rex Grossman said:

Has anyone put Emulation Station on their 350?

Simple Menu is the best front end - have a look. Takes a bit of setting up and editing the ini files.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These all look great, Retroid Pocket, RG 350 etc, but between my Vita and Android phone I can run basically everything up to GC. I was actually playing Alien Vs Predator and Cybermorph earlier, brilliant with a clip and One X pad. Can even connect my phone via Dex for big screen emulation.

Would definitely recommend anyone with a decent Android phone giving emulation a try, it's really come on lately, Redream is perfect and even Dolphin works good on a powerful device.

But I still feel the pull of these cute looking handhelds, they just can't match the quality and power of a decent phone and good clip and pad combo for me.

13 minutes ago, amc said:

These all look great, Retroid Pocket, RG 350 etc, but between my Vita and Android phone I can run basically everything up to GC. I was actually playing Alien Vs Predator and Cybermorph earlier, brilliant with a clip and One X pad. Can even connect my phone via Dex for big screen emulation.

Would definitely recommend anyone with a decent Android phone giving emulation a try, it's really come on lately, Redream is perfect and even Dolphin works good on a powerful device.

But I still feel the pull of these cute looking handhelds, they just can't match the quality and power of a decent phone and good clip and pad combo for me.

What clip/pad combo do you use?

Edited by Stoppy2000

Have a few, was using an SF30 Pro and 8Bitdo phone clip but was little hard to hold when I got my S20 Ultra, phone was a bit too heavy for that setup. So at the minute I'm using a PowerA Moga Mobile Gaming Clip https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerA-Mobile-Gaming-Wireless-Controllers/dp/B081C7TLVS/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_0/258-9971090-1737760?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B081C7TLVS&pd_rd_r=481f2c83-7a18-4284-a8ca-4ac48bd3edaa&pd_rd_w=ZdXOZ&pd_rd_wg=DfDQz&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=6F2QQWYG2ABZJGJ7NPVH&psc=1&refRID=6F2QQWYG2ABZJGJ7NPVH

I was using just a cheapo clip, have pic of that below, but the above gives better balance. Still better than the SF30 with a big phone mind.

20200904_144735 (1).jpg

I was looking at those razer things that encase the sides of the phone but because I'm playing a bit of Xcloud I wanted to use a One X pad.

4 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Looks good - anyone got one?

I was going to resist (as I'm pretty happy with the R350) but then I saw some Youtube videos of some impressive N64 and Dreamcast emulation so I've just ordered one. I'll post impressions when it turns up. Might be a while, as it's being shipped from China.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, David Kenny said:

I was going to resist (as I'm pretty happy with the R350) but then I saw some Youtube videos of some impressive N64 and Dreamcast emulation so I've just ordered one. I'll post impressions when it turns up. Might be a while, as it's being shipped from China.

I’m in exactly the same position, so interested to see how you get on.

19 hours ago, David Kenny said:

I've just ordered one as well.... Bit of a frivolous purchase but playing rainbow Islands on a nice handheld should justify it... I hope.

On 04/09/2020 at 18:39, David Kenny said:

Did you order direct from their website or via AliExpress? The website seems to have some message about shipping but it's not very clear...(to me!?!)

14 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Did you order direct from their website or via AliExpress? The website seems to have some message about shipping but it's not very clear...(to me!?!)

Direct from the website. From what I can work out they are currently shipping out orders placed before the end of August. Orders placed after that date will start to be shipped from the 25 September. So we'll definitely be waiting a while.

2 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Direct from the website. From what I can work out they are currently shipping out orders placed before the end of August. Orders placed after that date will start to be shipped from the 25 September. So we'll definitely be waiting a while.

But I need to be playing those 25 year old games right now!!

On 12/09/2020 at 11:30, Lorfarius said:

Just picked one up on eBay for £26 including postage. Looks amazing and that's a bargain compared to others I've seen.

Has it arrived yet and have you had any hands on time with it? Keen to hear your own thoughts. 

37 minutes ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Has it arrived yet and have you had any hands on time with it? Keen to hear your own thoughts. 

Not yet but looks like it will be a few weeks from China. Will post some thoughts when it arrives.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Not yet but looks like it will be a few weeks from China. Will post some thoughts when it arrives.

Sure, makes sense.  I've just ordered one too, should arrive sometime before Christmas. :D

• Upvote 1
On 12/09/2020 at 11:30, Lorfarius said:

Just picked one up on eBay for £26 including postage. Looks amazing and that's a bargain compared to others I've seen.

Some other reviews have said the screen tearing is pretty bad so would be interested to know what it's really like