Battlefield Hardline

Nespresso

Single player is a good place to try out the various attachments, if you are passing to pay it.

Single player seemed terrible from the first mission or two, forcing me along a linear path towards the next terrible cutscene. I figured I'd go straight in at the deep end playing online :)

I think Hardline is attempting to directly appeal to any gamers still playing COD. It seems so fast paced, everyone seems to use a hip-firing SMG, and with minimal vehicle usage across a lot of the maps it means run and gun play is often rewarded.

I got up to Rank 30 at the weekend but I'm getting a bit tired of it now, you don't have time to think a lot of the time, I'm not a massive fan of the maps, and the spawning is often atrocious. It is enjoyable but I'm craving a return to BF4 now with it's better maps and deeper gameplay. I wonder if BF4 might only be populated by the best of the best now, though.

What exactly is better? I've not played anything like this for years but it seems great.

The engine is the same as BF4, so it plays great. But the actual maps, the scope, the options for play style are all drastically reduced. However, if you've not played a FPS for years, jumping into BF4 right now would be one massive jump! You could easily put many of the great COD maps into this and it'd work a treat, but you could add together many of these maps and they'd only equal many of the singular BF4 maps in size (and the standard of design and qualify of the BF4 maps is astounding).

We had this big debate (Again) last night. At one level, those who've truly loved the BF games before will always want the giant scale, the vehicles, the squad play, where as those who have come from the COD side of things find Hardline much more accessible. This game however was never marketed as a true Battlefield game, it's a spin off, and like it or not is there to appeal to that COD crowd. BF5 is coming and that (hopefully!) will be all we want and more for a traditional BF game, and maybe this title will draw more players in to trying 5 when it comes out (Surely one of their obvious goals with this).

As an aside, I do wonder what scale Star Wars will be, surely there is scope for it to have bigger maps than this.

Jamin, you should've jumped in with us bro! I'll send you invites when I see you on next. Rush on the new maps on BF4 :D

wonder if BF4 might only be populated by the best of the best now, though.

Yeah, you're right. Often the people that hang around on any game are pretty ninja but it's easy to jump in a 64 player server and you are bound to come across some rubbish players. Also, it doesn't take long to get up to speed again, especially if you are in a squad. I find playing a more reserved role like suppressing or reviving makes you feel valuable without getting peppered too much by others.

I've still got BF4 on the HDD, ping me if you pick it up again.

How big are the maps in BF4? A couple of the ones in this (Everglades, Riptide and Derailed) feel a bit sparse at times for the player count and I end up spawning on people in the combat zone or ponderously walking there because all the vehicles are gone. That said though, I absolutely love the vehicles and the points system and varies objectives mean it feels very different from any of the COD games I've tried. I'll definitely be giving BF4 a look if I keep enjoying this.

The maps are at least 4 times bigger, there aren't many with a 64 player count with a limited scale, the prison level does come to mind though.

Often maps can feel sparse because of where you spawn, it's quite important that you stay in a full squad at all times so you have more options for dropping into the action because vehicles aren't always available.

How big are the maps in BF4? A couple of the ones in this (Everglades, Riptide and Derailed) feel a bit sparse at times for the player count and I end up spawning on people in the combat zone or ponderously walking there because all the vehicles are gone. That said though, I absolutely love the vehicles and the points system and varies objectives mean it feels very different from any of the COD games I've tried. I'll definitely be giving BF4 a look if I keep enjoying this.

Remember that in Rush, your only given access to certain part of the maps at a time. In Conquest, you can fly planes, helicopters, drive tanks, jeeps, quad bikes etc, plus spawn on your squad and on the captured points. Have you played much with a decent squad yet, with comms? As that is what BF is truly about.

I have only played this a couple of times but that everglades level looks worse than any of the bf4 maps and feels far more empty - it seemed horrible on first play.

Maybe Dice are better all along!

A lot of the maps only seen to work well from one side. So Everglades is a nightmare if you're Criminals, miles to walk and a terrible exposed vault in blood money. But as a cop it's an easy run to the money and a good vault to protect.

Remember that in Rush, your only given access to certain part of the maps at a time. In Conquest, you can fly planes, helicopters, drive tanks, jeeps, quad bikes etc, plus spawn on your squad and on the captured points. Have you played much with a decent squad yet, with comms? As that is what BF is truly about.

Not at all. I'm using my squad for spawning and trying to re supply and cover them but they're not often very helpful. I really need a headset. I tried conquest for a bit because it's classic battlefield but I found myself in the hot zones too much with no backup so I switched to blood money while I'm learning the weapons and controls properly as it's got a good mix of objectives and it's easier to learn smaller maps.

Ha few of the Hardline ones are actually brilliant, Hollywood Heights and Downtown are my favourites. Got flying the choppers a little bit more now as well, though I'm still shaky on landings.

Are people from here playing on PS4? Do we have a list?

I just want to add that the maps in BF4 are fucking sheit mate. There's maybe 2 decent maps where tactical play is involved.

It's the most noob-friendly BF game to date.

Utter horseshit. Bf3 had by far the worst maps of any bf to date. Half the bf4 maps are stunning and the opportunity for tactical play in bf4 is bigger than in any other bf to date

Utter horseshit. Bf3 had by far the worst maps of any bf to date. Half the bf4 maps are stunning and the opportunity for tactical play in bf4 is bigger than in any other bf to date

Please stop spreading this BF4 gospel. Bigger maps does not make a game 'better'.

I'm the only sane one left it seems.

Please stop spreading this BF4 gospel. Bigger maps does not make a game 'better'.

I'm the only sane one left it seems.

It makes for a better battlefield, some bf3 maps were better for infantry combat but as you keep telling us you like to be able to run around in open spaces and not get sniped we kinda get you don't like BF4!

Haha yeah we've had this discussion before, more than a few times now. Just pulling yer legs. Sorry guys. :(

In all seriousness though I hope Battlefront can rekindle dat battlefield fire once again. More responsive controls, less janky infantry movement and better map design please.

I would put money down in a fucking instant to play Battlefield set in WW2 again, even a port of 1943 would do it. I love that damn game, more so than BF3 and 4.

Personally, I would love something like BFBC2's Vietnam DLC. Low tech, great music, flamethrowers, and big clunky vehicles. Truly excellent.