IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

The last gen is going to have a huge lifespan

Debatable, as huge as the PS2 or even the SFC or original PS had past the launch of their successors? They all managed a decent number of years of support past that point too.

I'm confused. your argument against extended lifespans post-successor is to list consoles that had commercial releases long after the launch of a successor?

Last Gen already had 8 years. 3 more than the consoles you mention. So there's more of them to sell to.

Obviously 2015 is the year of the PS4/WiiU/Xbone* but they'd be foolish to ignore all the last-gen consoles out there. Or 505 games will make a load of shit.

* delete as applicable

I was asking for clarification on the actual projected viable lifetime of the last gen, and whether it was going to be any better than the historical norm enjoyed by successful systems of the past, as I don't particularly see any evidence for that to be the case.

If the X360 and PS3 are still getting wide support in 4 years time, I will be very surprised. The opinion of those in the industry is that the switch over is happening faster than they were expecting, so support for the last gen will actually be eroded quicker than they might have planned for otherwise. We already have several of the largest budget games not getting last gen versions, and even the biggest one, from the most commercially minded publisher of them all is farming out the downport to a seperate team, with the game not being hindered by being cross gen.

As to the complaint about this being a cross gen release, we still have yet to see whether it'll be like Pandemic's sequel, where the PS2 port requirements did not hold back the game, as the only real reason people fear cross gen is that their new 'expensive' investment isn't being 'properly' exploited (which is the sort of feeling the typical high end PC buyer feels on a regular basis playing all those console ports designed around the limitations of something years old, all they get is some useless garnish and not much extra actual meat).

Debatable, as huge as the PS2 or even the SFC or original PS had past the launch of their successors? They all managed a decent number of years of support past that point too.

The rumblings from the people in the best position to decide is that past 2015 things look murky in terms of planned support for last generation hardware, which is a mere 2 years post-launch of the current gen. If they get another 5 years out of them, like the PS2 managed, it'll be the annual sports games and the odd kid's license eeking out a living off the wreckage of last gen. The last gen consoles already had an extended run, expecting decent continued support for much past a decade seems a tad optimistic.

New software is where the money is made, and the balance is shifting rapidly in favour of the current gen, nobody is going to get particularly excited to sell a low profit margin bit of hardware to some bottom feeders picking on 2nd hand scraps (where they don't receive a penny) or expecting to buy low priced software, unless all these cost conscious customers are all going to sign up for lifetime subs to the online services available, something which it is hard enough to convince early adopters to do.

FIFA-14-and-PES-2014-PlayStation-2.jpg

Which proves my point, if the X360 can beat the PS2 for longest actual useful time on the market. I will be highly impressed, the PS2 ports of FIFA just got lazier and lazier as the years progressed, literally a roster update on a disc (same for the Wii and PSP versions). The PS2 was in production since 2000 until they officially ceased production last year, now that is a long life span, going on until almost 2 successor consoles got launched.

EA have already begun to draw down support for last gen FIFA, they removed a mode from this year's release of it.

You don't think that's different to Microsoft paying Square some money so they don't release it on other platforms at the same time?

The thing is that shady decisions happen all the time in development but we just don't hear about them. I worked on one game that was in development for PC, 360 and PS3. One day development on the PC and 360 versions stopped and never continued. Another game I worked on had a set of maps that were there all throughout development ripped out and sold as DLC a month later.

This time it's just become public.

Naturally it is all guesswork. None of us can honestly say that we know how the market will look in a few years. But at the launch of the XB360 Microsoft dropped development for the original Xbox very quickly. At this point, Microsoft are paying for exclusive releases of games on both the XB1 and XB360 platforms into next year. Something like 80m XB360s have been sold in its lifetime, and it still sells well. Even with the notorious failure rate there are many of these machines in regular use. One of the most popular titles is Minecraft. Hardly a game to push parents to buy a new machine.

My view, as a layperson, is that the winding down of the last gen will take some time. The machines are cheaper, the games are competitively priced, and many of them still look great. No sane publisher is going to forego a market of tens of millions of owners with a large franchise. Square Enix clearly expect enough people to buy its Tomb Raider game next Christmas to justify its XB360 development. EA will probably make Fifa games for it and I would not be surprised to see many other franchises coming to last gen consoles for several years.

Well the first one is Haze, because no other game went PS3 exclusive like that (sorry)

Haze is the perfect last gen equivalent of this deal. It was going to be a timed exclusive that Sony had paid for, but the piss poor financial performance of the PS3 version killed the X360/PC ports.

Pity the poor Japanese who have decided to wait for Microsoft's console, Sony stuffed them good by buying the apparent exclusivity on the multiplatform game Destiny in their market. Microsoft fans in Japan must be steaming over that one.

It's getting some exclusive Otaku-fayre, whether anybody in general who is a native gives much of a shit for the game might be the more pertinent question, Sony are certainly giving Activision multiple handjobs for that game, despite Activision having more than enough money to promote it themselves.

FPS games are super-niche in Japan anyway, so I doubt even many PS4 owners will be anticipating Destiny all that much.

I used to go to one shop in Akihabara that sold imported Western games. It was tiny and the games were absurdly expensive. This was back in the days of MS ploughing billions into marketing the original Xbox over there and paying for large amounts of floor-space in stores like Bic Camera. Nothing. Just large amounts of floorspace completely deserted. With the size of the XBone I'd be amazed if it sold more than a handful of units in Japan throughout its entire existence.

Fo-sho there'll be a few Otaku with one though but if they're that into games they'll have every other console ever crated anyway.

FPS games are super-niche in Japan anyway, so I doubt even many PS4 owners will be anticipating Destiny all that much.

They've been getting fairly popular, selling enough these days to rank as being as popular as your typical decent midmarket selling homegrown title, they aren't exactly in the VN or Dungeon Crawler or Moé-JRPG sales bracket anymore, unless you where playing on X360 or Wii U I suppose.

LTD sales of various CoD/BF games as of the end of 2013:

[PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) - 264.566 - 264.566[PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.12.12} (¥7.980) - 58.650 / 58.650[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Subtitled Edition) (Square Enix) {2010/11/18} 24,906 / 221,028[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Subtitled Edition (Reprint) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.09.01} 12,752  [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Subtitled Edition (New Price Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940) - 6.996 / 18.747[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix) {2010/12/16} 81,893 / 129,780[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition (Reprint) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.09.01} 51,448[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition (New Price Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940) - 31.224 / 61.079[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.11.22} (¥7.980) - 47.578 / 322.881[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.09.05} (¥3.990) - 9.778 / 9.778[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 108.613 / 180.585[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.09.05} (¥3.990) - 25.576 / 25.576[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥3.990) - 21.793 / 53.845[PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) <ACT> (Activision) {2009.09.10} (¥2.940) - 5.242 / 242.725[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Bargain Edition Reprint) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.09.01} (¥2.940) - 5.112 / 64.971[PS3] Battlefield 3 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2011.11.02} (¥7.665) - 6.215 / 257.626[PS3] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.11.07} (¥7.665) - 180.430 / 180.430

• 3 months later...

I like the vague wording again from Square though "Yes, Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox." It doesn't mean that once the "exclusivity" is done (however long that is) that Squeenix won't publish it on other platforms.

Unless things have changed since they posted the FAQ, it's still definitely coming to other platforms once the (unknown) timed exclusivity is up.

1. What does exclusive to Xbox mean?
    It means that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360.
  2. Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
    Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

• 2 months later...

It's coming out on 360 and Xbone. Can't see it being improved any by not having to cater to PS consoles.

Different devs, if I'm not mistaken. Same approach as Forza Horizon 2.

Screenshots are giving me serious TR2 Tibet/TR3 Antartica/UC2 Nepal vibes. This is A Good Thing.