IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

I wish they'd make their bloomin mid up over whether games are following the tuesday release of US or traditional friday of UK.

Was looking forward to Tuesday as its a big release and they usually launch simultaenously only to discover, no, it is friday 13th for Uk.

So and extra 3 day wait.. humph

There's been a lot of focus on the narrative/combat points but really my problems started at the feel of the game.

You have to remember that i was really anticipating this - I'm a TR fan after all. Whilst I thought they could have carried on a bit more with the old style I was onboard with an ambitious reboot as well. I saw the initial magazine reveal etc and thought it sounded and looked great - a survivalist TR with amazing graphics and better combat? Sure, why not.

So I went into it feeling excited. But later I saw videos which I didn't like much. Later I sought out (and queued) and played it at Eurogamer. I was left feeling very disappointed and unimpressed - it just felt very off. It's down to the jumping and climbing, feels unsatisfying and floaty.

I see the same problems in the new videos

I do find it amazing that with all this money they can't get it looking and feeling as good as the old games in the movement of the character and the feel of that. Lara has this big floaty jump and moves in a certain way.

It's animation but I'm guessing some dead zone issues or something? Lara just feels very odd.

Anyway I always found TR to be an experience very centred around the feeling of controlling Lara, the physicality of that. So you can see how having that central element feel off sours the whole thing for me.

Come to think of it doesn't Lara's weird jumping etc resemble that of the very floaty/disconnected movement in Uncharted?

It's been Unchartified, obviously to a certain kind of movement.

I kind of agree with this, despite never really being a big Tomb Raider fan. I found the original game (I mean the very first Tomb Raider ever) was a bit like Prince of Persia (again, very first one) but in 3D. The concept was sound, imo; you have set rules about the distance you can move/jump, and then the levels are a series of puzzles based on those rules. Eg. you needed to to a hop back to have exactly enough room to do a running jump, that sort of thing. Very mechanical, but it ended up meaning you could at least look at the geometry, and kind of work out where and how you could use the moves at your disposal in order to progress.

Newer platformer/adventurey games have dropped this completely. You just walk towards something; if you can climb / jump / whatever, the character does it automatically, and there's often a disconnect between what they can do in one scene vs another, so ultimately you don't have to figure anything out, you just try climbing /jumping over everything til you find the right thing. Quite dissatisfying imo.

Puzzles in these new platformer/adeventurey games tend to be pedestrian as well, it's very rare that you can do things 'wrong', most puzzles you encounter in modern games have a single set of actions that you perform in a single sequence to complete, so again meaning you just try everything until you do it. "I wonder what this switch does... Oh. I can't switch it back again.. So I guess that must be the right thing to do, then!" Nobody feels clever after working those kinds of puzzles out!

The 360 version looks really good as well. Sure, not as splendid as the Bone, but since I don't have one of those I may well get the last-gen game for now, then get the better version for a fiver when I finally get a Bone or PS4.

I played the 360 version (a very small bit admittedly) , graphics do hold up. Surprised at how much swearing is in the first 5 minutes! Lara really has grown up.

There nothing grown up about swearing, squirrel. :angry:

There nothing grown up about swearing, squirrel. :angry:

Heh I was actually going to put something similar to that after my comment but oh well. It's in context at least ( i can't blame her for shouting shit as part of the mountain crumbles beneath her feet).

Riiiiiiiiiiight. Sure.

I get that you're going to be dismissive, seeing as you've got the Anniversary love, but I really don't think modern AAA games should require the player to display obsessive levels of persistence with inadequate controls in order to get their money's worth. I'd rather the design was less ambitious but executed superbly, which is what the reboot achieves.

I notice in that Woman vs Wild vid upthread they go to some trouble to explain how the tombs will be comprehensible despite being vast and ingenious. That doesn't really address how having a puzzle in the middle of your action game will inevitably destroy its pace and sense of momentum. The fact that the puzzle-tombs reward you with unique combat upgrades kinda makes 'em mandatory too, so I think I'll be holding off until I've read some opinion on here once people get their pickaxes into it.

I get that you're going to be dismissive, seeing as you've got the Anniversary love

You could make it a lot simpler to be honest: I'm pretty bloody amazed that the series got so far when they're apparently incompetent shite as you imply, tripping over their own shoelaces 'n' all.

It's a singularly unconvincing and hyperbolic description of a series of games that ran and ran and sold millions of copies.

I also don't recall bad controls in Anniversary at all.

Yeah, sure, navigating is even easier in this reboot. So what? It's just sucking more challenge out of the experience and replacing it with vapid spectacle. That and speeding things up so you can get to the next firefight quicker.

I've played 25% of the game so far - for anyone worried that it relies too much on stealth - it really doesn't. I would say so far at least there is much more platforming and exploring than the first game.

The tomb's themselves are still optional but there are a lot of them. I must have done 4-5 so far so I expect there must be at least 20 throughout.

The game also is a tad harder - you kinda have a health system now, although you do replenish health outside of combat. There are loads of new upgrades etc too.

Apart from that it us quite similar to the first game but I've had loads of fun with it so far.

I've played 25% of the game so far - for anyone worried that it relies too much on stealth - it really doesn't. I would say so far at least there is much more platforming and exploring than the first game.

The tomb's themselves are still optional but there are a lot of them. I must have done 4-5 so far so I expect there must be at least 20 throughout.

The game also is a tad harder - you kinda have a health system now, although you do replenish health outside of combat. There are loads of new upgrades etc too.

Apart from that it us quite similar to the first game but I've had loads of fun with it so far.

Could you tell me how the encounters with bears etc.., are like. Is there any freedom in them, or not? Are they just like mini arena type battles? Better spoiler it, cheers ;)

Sure.

I've only come across one bear. This was an arena style affair. It took me a few mins to figure out that all it takes is to shoot it with a poison arrow, which kills it pretty quickly.

I've come across a panther type animal who guards one if the tomb's. Weirdly I tried shooting it with several poison arrows which didn't kill it and I shoot it with hand bullets several times but it still didn't die! I gave up trying to kill it and moved on.

Edit :

I come across another bear ( the big animals seem to be protecting caves) but I must have unloaded 50 bullets into it and it was still alive. Realistic much? Haven't worked out to kill those yet, I must be doing something wrong..