rllmuk
Revival

Ori and the Blind Forest

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

Yeah it looks and plays perfectly. Which means I’ll be waiting to play the sequel on Switch. Unless it ends up on Game Pass of course.

Which as it’s a Microsoft published game it will be day one.

Gamepass - removing the need to buy games 

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to resume a saved game in the Switch demo?

Played about 20 mins and had to switch off after saving. Loading it back up, there doesn’t seem any option to carry on with my saved game.

This is as wonderful as i remember and a stunning Switch port. :wub:

Any idea when it unlocks? I never completed it on XBox and am dying to get stuck in.

I bought this on Switch based off the demo. Got to say I think it's amazing. Pretty hard in places but it deals out the new abilities in a pretty nice way. I really like the map and the lack of boss fights although some of the set pieces act in a similar progress blocking way. There's also a good amount of variety around the map and it's seems to be a pretty long game overall. It's not outstayed its welcome yet. 

• Upvote 1

I played the Switch demo and really enjoyed it, it jumped to the top of my must own list!

I've gone through this thread and no one seems to have shared my infuriation with the Forlorn Ruins section. 

If I do persevere am I going to be raging when it comes to the escape section. Can't stand the left is right, right is left and jumping off into the air part of it. 

1 hour ago, Tonald Drump said:

I've gone through this thread and no one seems to have shared my infuriation with the Forlorn Ruins section. 

If I do persevere am I going to be raging when it comes to the escape section. Can't stand the left is right, right is left and jumping off into the air part of it. 

I don’t think you have to worry about any of that during the escape. I absolutely loved that level though. I thought it was one of the cleverest areas of the game.

• Upvote 2

Finished that section, the escape and the owl part afterwards, but my willingness to complete is being sapped by the constant insta-deaths.

Think I'm upto around 650 odd deaths so far...

I just finished this on Switch. The game is glorious, but did anyone else find that it finished abruptly?

According to my pause menu I had 2 abilities left to unlock, plus there was a whole area of the map (in darkness with sporadic lanterns to light to way) that I had not yet explored.

When the credits rolled I was pretty bummed to be honest, despite having a terrific time with the game otherwise.

Apparently I've posted in this thread already and I have a feeling I posted complimentary things about the beginning of the game.

But I'm finding it a slog from the Misty Woods onwards. It hasn't helped that I had a break from the game so had to find my bearings again with the controls and abilities, but even so, there is absolutely nothing I'm enjoying about the combat or even the platforming. If it wasn't so pretty I'd have ditched it for good, I think. I suspect there's something I've forgotten about the combat, actually, because I spend the entire time spamming my three consecutive hits, while dancing around projectiles, over and over, until each minor sluglike enemy dies. Sometimes I try to rush through Super Metroid-style and get dogpiled by three enemies at once and die within seconds because Ori has six little nubs of health which get wiped out in two hits, compared to Samus's ten energy cells of 99HP each. It's more like Super Meat Boy with exploration than Super Metroid and I ... bah. I just don't like it that much.

Maybe. We're in a minority though. I think what I hate most about the combat is that there are soooo many homing attacks from enemies. I'm making my way to the Forlorn Ruins and in one single corridor, all at the same time, a little owl is doing a homing divebomb at me over and over, a triceratops is doing a homing charge at me over and over, and some purple slug is shooting homing missiles at me over and over, and I'm bouncing about trying to avoid these three simultaneous sources of projectiles while also trying to attack with my own spirit flame which I don't have full control over and I'm like ... what on earth is this combat supposed to be? Am I supposed to be picking my way delicately though these sections, luring one enemy at a time and running backwards to fight it on its own, before moving on? It's so weird.

There’s the charge attack too? I’ve only made it to the tree and got the dash ability so it’s too early to say but I am getting a bit narked by how easy it is to die. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

There’s the charge attack too? I’ve only made it to the tree and got the dash ability so it’s too early to say but I am getting a bit narked by how easy it is to die. 

Problem is that saving and healing both use blue crystal stuff, making it way, way too precious to use on charge attack, which also uses it. Most enemy hits wipe out three nubs of health here (about halfway in?) and I only have six nubs.

The sequel to the very highly regarded it's ok, nothing more.. Ori and the Blind Forest has gone gold and will be available on Game Pass on March 11th.

• Upvote 1

Can’t wait. The first was excellent, despite what those posters up thread said.

• Upvote 2

OK, I’m basically back to really enjoying this again despite the occasional spikes in difficulty. Case in point - there’s a section where I had to chain-bounce off the projectiles of some giant rock and fire balls avoiding the floor below but I probably had to do it 10 or so times in each direction because it all depended on the enemy firing the projectile; when they didn’t fire in time I would fall down and die. Relying on luck in such an otherwise elegant, skill-based platformer seems weird and daft. 

This really is a lovely game with infuriating difficulty spikes. All of the dungeon escapes were challenging in their own right but the escape from the fire dungeon is an absolute arsehole. The timing required to navigate areas you’re seeing for the first time while a very short timer ticks down to your death is a recipe for trial and error gameplay of the worst kind, and bad enough, but to not let you recover health or save in between is just mean-spirited. 

Oh yes, and if take damage your energy gets zapped down to almost nothing. And if you die you have to do the whole thing from the fucking start. 

FUME!

• Empathy 1

And done. Phew. Anger receding. Sense of accomplishment taking hold. 

• Upvote 6

Yeah, I'm trying to do the wind area escape sequence now and it's absolutely dreadful. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with these parts. Escape sequences only work when they're fairly easy, posing the tiniest semblance of a challenge to create tension, but ensuring most players manage it on the first attempt. When you're doing it over and over and over again, rehearsing the set piece until you've finally got it down, it ruins the tension and drama completely.

• Upvote 2

Done it now. Dire. I am determined to finish this damn game in the hope that Will of the Wisps is a huge improvement.

I dunno. The challenge was perfect for me and I’d be massively disappointed if they toned it down for the sequel.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Yeah, I'm trying to do the wind area escape sequence now and it's absolutely dreadful. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with these parts. Escape sequences only work when they're fairly easy, posing the tiniest semblance of a challenge to create tension, but ensuring most players manage it on the first attempt. When you're doing it over and over and over again, rehearsing the set piece until you've finally got it down, it ruins the tension and drama completely.

I've only done the water one but I totally disagree. Where's the tension in finishing something first time?

By the time I'd finished it my heart rate must have been 140. Each time I'd get a little further, the previous bits would get a little easier but you still have the pressure of getting through them and then negotiating what comes next. But without any time to take it in.

Completing it felt like a real relief, and like I'd met a genuine challenge.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

I dunno. The challenge was perfect for me and I’d be massively disappointed if they toned it down for the sequel.

I'm talking about the challenge of the (three?) escape sequences specifically here. I hope they get rid of them completely, never mind tone them down.

1 minute ago, ann coulter said:

I'm talking about the challenge of the (three?) escape sequences specifically here. I hope they get rid of them completely, never mind tone them down.

I know! I really enjoyed those sections. After going through the level learning your powers, I really enjoyed putting it all together in the escape. Loved it.

I might actually give this another run through before Will of the Wisps comes out. I haven’t played it since my first run through.

7 minutes ago, Dapple said:

I've only done the water one but I totally disagree. Where's the tension in finishing something first time?

By the time I'd finished it my heart rate must have been 140. Each time I'd get a little further, the previous bits would get a little easier but you still have the pressure of getting through them and then negotiating what comes next. But without any time to take it in.

Completing it felt like a real relief, and like I'd met a genuine challenge.

I don't think it works for a dramatic set piece like this. It's like watching a movie on a malfunctioning DVD that keeps skipping back to the start of a tense action sequence a bunch of times before it finally fixes itself and plays the rest - by the fifth or sixth repeat the drama is gone.

• Upvote 1