Let It Die - Deathverse

Keyboard Koala

BRGlogo01_fix_130515.0.jpg

Well, next to nothing is known thus far about Suda51's recently announced new game, except that it looks to be full of a bit of the old ultraviolence, and that it's being released exclusively on Sony's new console somewhere in 2015.

In the year 2026 AD, a large tectonic disturbance occurred causing mass destruction around the world.

South Western Tokyo split off into the ocean and became an island covered by a deep fog.

Continuous seismic activity then caused a large spire to rise out of the ocean through the island creating a tower-like structure that pierces the clouds.

Many mysteries remain hidden from the eyes of mankind await those courageous enough to dare approach the tower…

Players fight through a treacherous tower obtaining various types of weapons and armor while finding creatures and mushrooms to eat in order to stay alive.

Upon death, a player’s “death data” is then circulated among other player’s games where they will appear as formidable opponents.

The sharing of “death data” is one of the various asynchronous multiplayer elements that can be found in the game.

Let It Die is a free-to-play hack and slash action video game developed by Grasshopper Manufacture. It was developed for the PlayStation 4, along with a companion app for the game to be playable on smartphones.

E3 2014 teaser trailer:

First trailer:

Launch trailer:

First images:

1FkiX8o.jpg

1DAPvNN.jpg

Killing and maiming in your underwear ftw?

Well, that's my PS4 ordered then...

>>  Official website.

U4cxtJ0.png

• 2 years later...

You can actually get playing for a fair bit just by downloading the "data to start application". Immediate impressions are than everything's a bit dark (or I messed up my gamma settings), there's a bunch of gore and excessive finishers, and combat feels a bit awkward at first, but I haven't been playing it for long so I might be doing it all wrong... :D Looking around with the L2 aim when holding a gun is pretty sensitive by default, but that might be good if enemies swarm the player later on...

The levelling up and damage numbers and the variety of items (weapons, single-use buffs) you can get (all with their own stats) is kind of interesting. I thought people were kidding about the roguelike comparisons... Also there's some kind of stamina system where you can't do too much for too long (your heart glows) so you need to find safe spots for short whiles. Once you reach an elevator your kills and other stats are tallied up and you move back to the hub to spend level up points etc...

Initial impressions: The combat feels really clunky, the camera doesn't even track when you're locked on, weapons break after 1-2 enemies leaving you bare-handed 95% of the time, and the game unfairly throws mobs at you (front & back) when you're in a single-file width corridor with no means of escape. Its poorly designed with the cheap tricks and artificial difficulty doing everything it can to make you spend that real money on another life.

The only positive is that I did get to kill Joffocakes' avatar, but aside from that its an utter disappointment! 

*edit* Okay, after playing some more i have to admit this is strangely compelling. But in a 'so bad its good' kinda way. Think: Devils Third. lol!

It's like a 6/10 game that you don't want to stop playing. The combat is very Dark Souls-lite and the interface/controls are really counter-intuitive but I love the characters and ideas. Personal highlight so far was when I died for the first time!

I'm really digging it as well, it's janky in a lot of ways but it's fun as fuck.  I'm genuinely enjoying the combat so far.  Currently got a character up to level 17 but wasted a load of death passes.  I don't think I've met anything too unfair yet (of course that could change).

This may sound obvious but it actually caught me out, if you want to level your character up (and after you've taken a ride down to the ground floor on the lift) go to the floating robot Mingo.  I didn't realise this until a few floors up wondering why my character level was never increasing, doh :lol:

Top Tip: If an enemy has his back to you, crouch, then stealth up behind them and press X for a suplex. You can then mash X to kick them in the head while they're down. 

So many things wrong with this game yet its still held my attention for the past couple of hours. I only stopped because my 'free' lives have all been used up. The PStore part of the game doesn't seem to be online. Good job really because i know i'd impulsively buy some more credit.  :blush:

I know, i was a bit too hasty and harsh. I'll edit my post.  :lol:

I'll blame it on me not really 'getting it' at first, and my initial frustration at trying to kill the first boss with only light punch, figuring out much, much later that L1/R1 do heavy haymakers. :blush: 

Hmm this is interesting.  I lost my level 17 character (got killed) but when I went to select a new character in the Fighter Freezer I was able to rescue my previous character (as they had been haterified due to being killed) and can now use them again.

The major thing that is annoying me is the really bad weapon swapping. If your wep breaks in the middle of a fight, it's a nightmare to try and get the one you want. The game keeps auto defaulting to the free Magnum I got, which I'd rather save (the gore finisher for it is a laugh though). 

It also seems quite arbitrary at what stacks in your inventory. I've had 2 identical frogs stack, but no more and none of the crafting stuff does - although I can totally understand why it doesn't. Seems churlish to complain too much about a free game too much though so back to stomping on rats and having boomshrooms growing out of them.

Little tip, but before you start, go to the fountain in the waiting room and travel to the arcade and collect quests from the kat computer thing by the girl otherwise you'll have to backtrack and possibly run into a level 24 hater like I did :(

1 hour ago, mr_woo said:

Hmm this is interesting.  I lost my level 17 character (got killed) but when I went to select a new character in the Fighter Freezer I was able to rescue my previous character (as they had been haterified due to being killed) and can now use them again.

That's exactly what i just did: rolled a new build and went looking for my corpse. :D My evil twin scared the crap out of me as i rounded the corner, she screamed, and ran at me full pelt. I also had a really hairy moment on the way when i bumped into a Lv.24 Hater and i was only Lv.6. Thank goodness for exploding mushrooms.

I may have to eat my words cause i'm actually rather enjoying this. Once you figure out how to abuse the bum-rush A.I. and get them to smack each other, it really helps the frustrating narrow corridor mob situations i was complaining about before. 

I'm curious to see what micro-transactions are added once the store goes live. For now i'm happy cause its free.

I'll gladly buy something that makes me auto never pick up the shitty firework launcher. The steaming irons on the other (both preferably) hand, are great.

More people need to play this. It's great and I want a bigger pool of people to sic my fridge body on :twisted:

I've got stuff to do, but all I can really think about is how the level 27 fighter I sent into a level 1 character's world is doing. Better bring me back some nice stuff.

And I'm into this game pretty hard. I'm not usually a fan of 'so bad it's good' descriptions of a game, and I don't think it applies here - generally you get enjoyment out of something or you don't, and this is ticking a whole bunch of boxes for me. Waltzing into someone else's waiting room, smacking their enemies unconscious then stuffing one of them in my train for repurposing was a blast. Be warned though, if you go to the train early you'll return immediately with whoever you kidnapped.

It's a rough game, no doubt about that, but given I tend to slide off a lot of games that are slick and soulless, this has got a lot going for it. 

EDIT: Senpai.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

That's exactly what i just did: rolled a new build and went looking for my corpse. :D My evil twin scared the crap out of me as i rounded the corner, she screamed, and ran at me full pelt. I also had a really hairy moment on the way when i bumped into a Lv.24 Hater and i was only Lv.6. Thank goodness for exploding mushrooms.

I may have to eat my words cause i'm actually rather enjoying this. Once you figure out how to abuse the bum-rush A.I. and get them to smack each other, it really helps the frustrating narrow corridor mob situations i was complaining about before. 

I'm curious to see what micro-transactions are added once the store goes live. For now i'm happy cause its free.

Ah I meant you can salvage them directly from the freezer without needing to go and actually get them :)  It costs 5000 - 6000 coins though.