IGNORED

Let It Die - Deathverse

Keyboard Koala

On 2/24/2018 at 16:55, Sun Tze said:

Decided to let my old account die... and started a new adventure around Christmas. I really should be honing my driving skills in Gran Turismo but this is just so much fun and easy to pick up and play for a few hours. 

There have been plenty QoL improvements, most noticeable are the lack of game crashing bugs and easier ways to accumulate coins and upgrade materials. Personally i greatly appreciate the apparent increase in good decals dropping from the stew and being able to win some via TDM rewards.

They've added floors 42-50 which are entirely occupied by haters and hunters but the levels themselves are just recycled floors. You are restricted in the amount of items you can carry with you to these floors but you can keep all the items you find on those floors so the restriction is only upon access. All four Forcemen have now been unleashed so every faction (D.O.D., War Ensemble, Candle Wolf and M.I.L.K.) has their own optional Boss fight. By now there are also plenty of viable strategies for different weapons/armor to tackle them with so your not screwed anymore if you don't happen to have a maxed out Flaming Buster straight sword S or whatever. Cost of fighting them still steep but you accumulate coins so much faster now it's not really an issue anymore. Other then that they've added various new Chargers and overhauled TDM completely (much better now imo). They've also added weekly and monthly challenges (coins/ Red metals) that reduce the grind to much more acceptable levels. Oh yeah, there's a new vending machine that takes duplicate skill decals and lets you  buy really nice things from time to time. (No matter what you do try to get that Dragon Buster RE sword asap, it's magic) 

Unfortunately you probably just missed out on the 1 year anniversary, the World of Tanks Collaboration or the 4 million downloads! events from last few months. They have been unusually generous and really boosted new and returning players progress by handing out all sorts of nice items and equipment. Fortunately there's another collaboration event around the corner. 

Thanks for the overview.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed they haven't added more floors to the tower, but it sounds like there have been a lot of QoL improvements and a general easing of the grind. I had burned out on the game by the time I finished the last floor this time a year ago - the amount of prep that went into each run, combined with the load times and how long everything seemed to take, had started to make it feel like work. But it sounds like things have improved a lot in that respect.

I'll probably log in this evening and let my fighters out of the freezer. I wonder how many times my base has been raided and trashed in my absence...

• 5 months later...

Senpai!

I saw @Kayin Amoh playing this again the other day, so I've stupidly picked it up again and put another 12 hours in since the weekend!

It's still really fun to dive back in and I hadn't forgotten too much of it - some of the best ways of progressing have changed though so getting used to grinding the TDM and making progress in ways I didn't previously.

Yeah, I've been hammering it quite a bit recently. The new 50+ floors are amazing places to farm compared to the old boss runs of previous months, and you can enter and leave as and when you like - no forced return after going from floor 42-50, you can head up to floor 201 if you like. (Spoiler - you do get kicked out once you reach that level, but there's no special event or anything.)

I'm intending writing an article soon to detail the new changes, and they're almost universally for the better. You won't lose all your gear if you fail a TDM raid, for instance, and there's a lot of alternate ways to score mats that weren't there before. Also, you can now uncap your gear and fighter so that you can buff them up to 30 in all stats, as well as give them an extra decal slot or give them more space in their bags for collecting stuff.

It's damn good, and sucked me straight back in - I've been logging in and doing the occasional run since launch, but now I'm hammering it as there's a lot of new stuff - and you can play the radio in the tower. YOU CAN PLAY THE RADIO IN THE TOWER. Like I said, near universal improvements.

• 1 year later...

Nice to see this game got the success it deserves. Especially given you can get a lot of mileage out of it without spending a single dime.

I did give up on it around level 23, having beaten the second boss. It was a fun ride, but the grinding for experience and materials just became too much for my taste.

Really like the overall Grasshopper Manufacture production vibes and various references to the Suda-verse, but the narrative hardly ties in with Kill The Past anyway so I decided to focus more on The Silver Case and 25th Ward :)

Yeah, it's very much Hideyuki Shin's own game just with lots of references to Suda's work. I still enjoy the core gameplay loop and art style enough to jump back in every now and then. It's nice that there is always something to work on or to upgrade so that even after a thousand + hours it maintains some sense of progression. 

Interested to see what exactly they are hinting at in the "Uncle D is missing" video, could be a new game or an update to LiD itself. 

• 1 year later...

Getting a sequel apparently:

3899658-deathverse.png

Deathverse - Let it Die

Debut trailer:

ABOUT DEATHVERSE: LET IT DIE

From LET IT DIE developers Supertrick Games, DEATHVERSE: LET IT DIE gives players a chance to rise to fortune and fame in this survival battle arena. It is kill or be killed as contestants compete on a deadly reality TV show, set hundreds of years after the events of LET IT DIE. Fend off other players and enemies as you rise in the rankings and win over your audience’s support. 

A Story to Die For!

Set hundreds of years after the events of LET IT DIE, DEATHVERSE: LET IT DIE brings players into the world of smash-hit reality show ‘DEATH JAMBOREE.’ Hosted by the charismatic Bryan Zemeckis, with commentary from former Champion Queen B, the MCs’ personalities are just as colorful as the bloodstained stage. While it’s well known that DEATH JAMBOREE is produced by the enigmatic Yotsuyama Broadcasting Company, the show’s past is steeped in mystery and led by a cabal of shadowy figures.

It’s time to master your favorite weapon, captivate fans with showstopping moves, and gain the admiration of a global audience to become a rising star.

Fight for Survival and Stardom in GungHo’s DEATHVERSE: LET IT DIE

A sensational, melee-focused multiplayer survival action game from the LET IT DIE team, coming in 2022.

Killer Gameplay!!

In the survival battle arena DEATHVERSE: LET IT DIE, you’ll compete against players and fight off hazardous in-game foes in PvPvE combat. Use state-of-the-art weaponry to dazzle crowds, and customize your own original character with upgrades you collect and unlock as you cheat death, outlive your competitors, and climb the rankings to become a star!

The grand stage is an uninhabited island covered in SPLithium, an indispensable energy source in the era of DEATHVERSE: LET IT DIE. It is rumored that SPLithium contamination created the UMA, dangerous, mutated creatures and plants who call this island home. If that wasn’t enough, half-way through each match, even deadlier enemies enter the fray, with nigh-invincible Hunters joining the clash to chase down fighters without mercy.

As a contestant in this glamorous gorefest, you’ll fight using a special robotic unit, known as a “Wilson,” that will give you all the tools you need to survive.

These battle-ready bots offer a variety of deadly features:

Transform into all kinds of weapons, like hammers, knives, katanas, and more to batter and break your competitors; deploy protective shields to stop attackers in their tracks; fire electric bullets to stun enemies; activate any number of skills that you can customize to suit your playstyle.

As you progress through the game, you can upgrade your Wilson and unlock even more ways to slay and increase your odds of survival.

DEATHVERSE: LET IT DIE brings gory, PvPvE action to Playstation 4 and PlayStation 5 in 2022.

>>  Official website

crkCoq0.jpg

"If you beat Deathverse,

you get to see HL3... "

Well, it doesn't say Grasshopper Manufacture so is Suda 51 involved? My interest is pretty much dependent on this.

Regardless, this really needs to be split out from this as I don't think these will be in any way comparable experiences.

Don't think he's involved. He went and took Grasshopper with him to a big Chinese company:

Grasshopper Manufacture Inc. (Headquarters: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, CEO: Goichi Suda) announced that the company will join NetEase Games under the equity transfer agreement signed on May 31st, 2021.

But I don't think he was much involved in the first game to begin with.

Let It Die:

Director(s): Hideyuki Shin

Producer(s): Shuji Ishikawa

Designer(s): Noriaki Kazama

Artist(s): Takashi Kasahara

Writer(s): Muga Takeda

Nope, he really wasn't.

I could tell the game was in the LiD universe pretty much immediately, so at the very least they've successfully captured the vibe.

The apparent PvP focus doesn't do much for me. I'd have preferred an extrapolation of the asynchronous competitive play of the original, as having to fight other players brings with it so much potential baggage in terms of annoying net code, vindictive players sucking the fun out of things, etc. Maybe Deathverse will find an audience, but I doubt I'll be a part of it.

13 minutes ago, Ferine said:

The apparent PvP focus doesn't do much for me. I'd have preferred an extrapolation of the asynchronous competitive play of the original, as having to fight other players brings with it so much potential baggage in terms of annoying net code, vindictive players sucking the fun out of things, etc. Maybe Deathverse will find an audience, but I doubt I'll be a part of it.

Yeah, I didn't like that bit either. But I'll give it a chance when it's released. If it's mainly PvP stuff, then they can count me out as well.

• 7 months later...

There's an open Beta running for Deathverse, albeit limited to very specific time slots; next one for Europe is June 5th in the morning.

Effectively it's a small-scale battle royale game. Rather than a massive open map you spawn into an arena of interconnected segments that gradually close off as the match progresses, pushing the remaining players towards each other. The areas themselves have a lot of verticality, plus environmental hazards and the odd AI creature to 'farm'. Beyond that it has a lot of Let it Die's flourishes, including mushrooms with varied effects and powerful NPC Hunters that will chase players down.

As you might imagine, combat is somewhat idiosyncratic. Fundamentally you're encouraged to constantly be doing things, as various actions essentially earn per-match XP that increases some of your attributes upon hitting thresholds; it's a bit like a MOBA in that respect. On top of that doing damage effectively restores and boosts your HP, so you're very much encouraged to get stuck in rather than lay low.

Fighting is melee focussed. There's quite a lot of options when you combine different weapon skills and the different sub-skills you can pick up/swap during a match, plus every player has a recharging shield that reminds me of Smash Bros. I suspect two decent players could have some interesting fights, especially when you factor in the tug-of-war health system.

I say suspect as 1) I've barely played the game and I'm rubbish at it, and 2) the lag was awful. The latter is a real killer given the game's focus on timing; I quickly abandoned trying to block as it was so flaky. Maybe the final release will be drastically improved in that regard – there probably aren't that many people trying to play in the Beta, and who knows which regions it's matching me with – but I'm wary that unlike an FPS the combat mechanics aren't at all tolerant of latency.

I've no idea if they're entirely focussed on PvP but that's the only mode in the Beta. I'm sure that's a hard out for some people, but the game is weird enough that I'll at least check it out when it launches.

Thanks for the heads up!

deathverse-ltob-press-feature-1_1996_fea

Schedule:

North America Western Region

June-05-2022, 01:00 - 06:59 (PDT)

North America Eastern Region

June-05-2022, 04:00 - 09:59 (EDT)

European Region

June-05-2022, 09:00 - 14:59 (BST)

I played a fair bit on Let It Die back when it was just out, and would've loved a sequel in the same mold. Deathverse will probably not be for me.

• Keyboard Koala changed the title to Let It Die - Deathverse - open beta June 5th.

Won my first match. 

Hmm... I'm not really into it. I spent the first chunk of the game looking for someone to fight, then the last portion felt like the combat was pretty poor. I loved Let it Die, but I don't really want this PvP spinoff.

I like certain aspects of the game, but it all seems to be outside the combat. I'm a sucker for having your own room in games that you can visually enhance as you level up, and the hamster wheel of progress seems implemented reasonably well. I just wish it was using this graphics engine for a real Let it Die 2 in the same vein as the original.