Let It Die - Deathverse

Keyboard Koala

Got goretastic killed by a hater on 4b (I think, it had luminous green moss over black walls) with the buzzsaw knuckles. Looked painful! 

Down to 3 lives left now :(

Did get the bits to make a crossbow though. Will see how effective that is later (not very I imagine).

Does anyone else have trouble doing the gore kills? It tells me to hold triangle but that always does the rage attack instead.

23 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

Ah I meant you can salvage them directly from the freezer without needing to go and actually get them :)  It costs 5000 - 6000 coins though.

Yeah i was skint so had to do what i described. Great for when you run out of lives on your main.

6 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Yeah i was skint so had to do what i described. Great for when you run out of lives on your main.

There is a certain morbidness to finding your corpse ready to kill you, killing it instead and then watching Uncle Death appear and take the body away to put back in the fridge.

Oh, and has anyone read any of the comic pages? Seeing a little kid cutting his arm off with a circular saw is pretty extreme!

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

Does anyone else have trouble doing the gore kills? It tells me to hold triangle but that always does the rage attack instead.

Only works during a stun, doesn't cost rage. Keep an eye on them when they're low on life, but only pops up every now and then.

Emergency maintenance on now. Hope I don't lose my character, was in an escalator at the time.

Yeah, I get the exclamation mark come up, it basically tells me to do a goretastic move, the enemies have the little sweat droplets coming off them but every time I press triangle (as a prelude to pressing R2 or L2) it just does the rage move instead.

It's no major drama, just wondered if I'm being a knob and doing something really easy wrong.

29 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Yeah, I get the exclamation mark come up, it basically tells me to do a goretastic move, the enemies have the little sweat droplets coming off them but every time I press triangle (as a prelude to pressing R2 or L2) it just does the rage move instead.

It's no major drama, just wondered if I'm being a knob and doing something really easy wrong.

Maybe pressing the second button after triangle just a bit too fast? When you hold down triangle the screen should desaturate and have a little icon pop up for either hand to show which execution'll happen. If your character has fire erupt without the screen losing colour, you're primed for a rage move instead.

Maintenance is over and i'm back on it. Talk about 180° on my opinion. :D

It only just occurred to me that you can replay 1F areas and grind for Frogs, XP and cash, making the higher levels a little easier to bear.

Onwards and upwards!

I had a go post maint and the same guy had invaded my lowest floor twice with his level 40 character (speaking of which, how do you level past 5 on your attributes? It's saying maxed for me). Felt good taking him down with a level 1 the first time (sneak and suplex with a couple of digs while prone took nearly all his health off).

Something seems to have changed with my waiting room too. I've now got some radio station playing God awful death metal or something, rather than the disturbing and quirky music is was :(

35 minutes ago, Scruff said:

I had a go post maint and the same guy had invaded my lowest floor twice with his level 40 character (speaking of which, how do you level past 5 on your attributes? It's saying maxed for me). Felt good taking him down with a level 1 the first time (sneak and suplex with a couple of digs while prone took nearly all his health off).

Something seems to have changed with my waiting room too. I've now got some radio station playing God awful death metal or something, rather than the disturbing and quirky music is was :(

Without fail when going to the first floor again you will find some cunt who's taken their level 26/29 (other super high level) character and let them die on the first floor of the tower just to troll lower level players :lol:  You'll usually see them just behind one of the yellow skips/metal containers.

I want to like this more than I think I will. The music is great, the presentation and atmosphere is stupid but not so bananas that it's offputting, and who doesn't like climbing a big videogame tower? Unfortunately the combat feels really clunky and if there's something there to learn, it's not doing a very good job of teaching.

Will probably be much better once I figure out how not to be really shit at it.

Played 30mins of this, couldn't stand it. Feels like a PS2 era Japanese attempt at a western game. I'm sure there is depth there somewhere but I was just mashing buttons and it felt horrible. The idea of making this FTP seems like suicide, think the opening will put most people off. What's with the constant barrage of tutorial tips with awful explanations and displays? I thought games had moved on from that 5+ years ago? 

I was a huge fan of Suda's games from the past but at their core they have always been terrible games mechanically. I keep thinking he'll learn and improve but he never does. I still think Shadows of the damned is by far his best game mechanically speaking. This Let it Die reminds me more of NoMoreHeroes but at least with that you had a somewhat refreshing gimmick with motion controls and bright+colourful presentation. This is like a depressing gritty version of NoMoreHeroes.

18 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

Without fail when going to the first floor again you will find some cunt who's taken their level 26/29 (other super high level) character and let them die on the first floor of the tower just to troll lower level players :lol:  You'll usually see them just behind one of the yellow skips/metal containers.

You see, I'm wondering if I'm totally missing something here? Is there an online multiplayer thing going on? I just played the opening segement and had no hint that there was?

4 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I'm sure there is depth there somewhere but I was just mashing buttons and it felt horrible.

:huh:

It might not be for you, but seen quite a few people come around on it. The combat's still kinda basic from where I am, but it's still satisfying to pick off stragglers, or suplex them, or even just going around improving your gear.

I'd be playing it now, but there's a bug affecting some players preventing them from logging in. Current theory is that if you were in the game when maintenance happened, you're locked out.

18 minutes ago, Capwn said:

You see, I'm wondering if I'm totally missing something here? Is there an online multiplayer thing going on? I just played the opening segement and had no hint that there was?

When playing the game and going through the tower levels you'll come across AI characters from other players who have been 'haterfied'  (just the games term for players being killed) who will attack you and try to kill you like a regular enemy.  I think they've been killed in their own game anyway.  Generally they are of the same level as the floor you're on but I've been seeing really high levels in the lower floors means players have been purposefully killing themselves on the lower levels to fuck with new players.

You don't actually encounter other people directly, just AI controlled versions of their character.  There's also a mode called TDM (Tokyo Death Metro I think it's called) where you can send your character to attack other players waiting rooms.  This means you can steal some of their stuff and even one of their fighters if you want.  It's kind of like attacking someone elses motherbase/defending your motherbase as seen in MGSV, you can set up defenses etc too.

Don't think I've played a Grasshopper game before.  Here is my review of the game.

wat

In between the tasty frogs and rats, Uncle Death and yank piled so high it probably reaches the top of the tower, it certainly has something.  I cannot tell whether that is good or not, but I do want to keep playing.  Shame I got disconnected making my way to third floor.

Talking of that trip I got to the second floor and immediately have to climb up a bit.  I hear a fight going on nearby.  Turns out there is a one way drop pretty much.  Underneath are a few enemies getting murdered by something.  So I drop down, and there he is in all his glory.  A wild Qazimod, level 3.  Even got a swag jacket and everything.  So he greets me in the usual rllmuk manner.

He tries to burn my face off with an iron.

Well this is certainly a turn of events.  Luckily the other two enemies are nearly dead so I finish them off.  Leaving just me and my follow forumite in the room.  Now those other guys are done, we can have a chat in the usual rllmuk manner.

I stove his head in with a large pickaxe.  Then steal his iron from his cold, dead corpse.  Sadly didn't give me the option of the jacket.

As I said, this game certainly has something.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

6am. Pulled an all nighter once I finally managed to play it, got to floor 10 and met some new faces along the way.

Someone was asking about leveling up past the initial maximum stats - once you reach certain floors, new fighters become available for purchase with different specializations. Starts at floor 6, if I recall correctly. And some of these excursions can be pretty long, wound up playing for two hours in one uninterrupted run because I couldn't see any elevators back down. Harrowing stuff once all my weapons started breaking and some of the new enemies made themselves known. I had something like 100 HP when I finally found the elevator, no weapons, no healing items and I think my hat was the only thing I had that was still intact.

Top tip: invest heavily in R&D, take back blueprints and mats rather than extra weapons or armour if you have to make the choice. Yes, even when you still have enemies to kill before you can return. The majority of what you can make lasts longer and hits harder (once upgraded) than a lot of the stuff you can find in the tower.

Lifts are the new bonfires - when you see one you breath a sigh of relief, knowing its time to cash in your sweet XP and loot (plus the free HP refill, don't forget that).

Just killed the Lv.6 boss with 2HP left and a purple heart about to go into cardiac arrest! Phew, that was tense! 

*edit* Damn! Emergency maintenance again. I was proper deep into it then, off on some tangent path exploring various side-chambers, and nowhere near the main lift-shaft. I hope i don't get locked out like @Kayin Amoh did. :(

I used my Golden Frog on level 5 when I was one hit away from dying to a 25 hater :(  Shouldn't be too long till I get the Golden Rat though. I haven't gone past level 5 yet. I may take the lift up there later and have a look about. 

Still not run into any haterfied 'mukkers though.

Meanwhile, I've seen another two.  Dave was one.  The other?

QAZI JUST FUCK OFF GOD FUCKING JESUS CHRIST

Now wearing a sexy jacket and pants combo.  Attacks me with a firework launcher.  A-ha, you may be a few levels higher but I will just close in and...oh, that's a buzzsaw.  That appears to have taken off half my health.

Decided to rage attack with my own buzzsaw.  It turns out the rage attack removes all the other guys clothes.  Maybe I got lucky, but I was now facing a naked (but still dangerous) hater with half health.  Few more rage attacks, and down he goes.

Then had to face my first midboss.  Not a fan.  Easy enough, but very much a damage sponge.  Got access to TDM which I'm a bit confused about.  Still not got a use for the weapons guy in the base.

I'm just not the sold on the combat yet.  Seems to be fast weapons are best, to get in before stun lock.  Some weapons have way too much recovery, like that utterly useless firework launcher.  The stealth suplex is a good tip, but it has got me killed.  It just doesn't seem to like to work on normal enemies.  I have done it on some haters, but they can just decide to turn around and attack randomly.

I still think I will keep playing it.  At least until new Paragon map drops tomorrow.  In the meantime...

Bet you thought I was going to moan about Qazi again didn't you?

I was speaking to @Kayin Amoh about that on Twitter earlier. :lol: I didn't make the connection between sending dudes out and invasions being initiated - I thought they just went off and passively brought goods back to base or something. Oops. If I'm able to stop them I'll try...

EDIT: done! Went to the fighter freezer and toggled the other guys, and they came back. Hopefully no more random encounters with my buddies for now. :D 

Anywhere online have a full map layout yet? I've been taking screen grabs during the escalator sequence and trying to tick off which rooms i've cleared, which are dead-ends, and which hold secrets, but the layout is extremely convoluted. I've also found another lift shaft in 2F off the main central line, but i couldn't find a way to power it up or open the doors. 

Right, i'm off to do some more exploring...

Well the game has just done something to make me instantly turn it off.  First of all, I had a look on YouTube at the next bosses.  They both look utter bullshit, especially one that doesn't seem to have a save point before the thing after a long level.

The second was I decided to go up in elevator to 3F, after I saved in boss having beaten the boss.  I go look up ahead, see an enemy, and then a level 29 hater comes running at me.  I have nothing on me, peg it back towards the boss room.  The doors shut, and the boss reappears.  I will be honest, I haven't got time for that shit.  So that is another character dead.

It just feels such a lottery sometimes when you throw an attack whether it will hit or not.  Sometimes you get interrupted, sometimes you don't.  If I could reliably fight back when outgunned then fair enough, but that sequence of events has just soured me on the entire game.

On the bright side I will probably look back and find it hilarious in a few days time.

Just got to the first real boss. Very cool.

Top tip: take some more healing items than I did. Barely survived one particular ambush on the way to him, and now I'm idling to heal. 

Update: Terrified.

Oh and once you get to this (Stage 10) don't be too afraid since

falling off the train will have you pull yourself back on - at least from the front, some bastard shoved me off right near where I was supposed to be headed.