Let It Die - Deathverse

Keyboard Koala

I don't think it influences much if anything beyond who your rival teams are and how often you're raided. Being a member of a bigger faction, particularly if it's at war with another, seems to provoke a lot of raids on your base. I'm in Ireland and I've been raided twice in the week or so since I unlocked the raiding option, whereas I've heard others complain that they're raided multiple times daily.

I've stopped putting my fighters on defence and now just send them on expeditions.

9 hours ago, JohnnyRyall said:

I've stopped putting my fighters on defence and now just send them on expeditions.

Will try that next. Going to see if anything happens on team NL but if it stays dormant like this i might swap for a bigger, busier faction later. 

I'm equally addicted. I don't have my PS4 hooked up to a TV at the moment, but I've been logging in daily via remote play just to get the login bonuses and send my fighters off on their expeditions.

I did try clearing a floor the other day on my vita via a very laggy connection, but managed to blow myself up while trying to throw a mushboom using the vita's touchscreen. :blush:

I'm thinking of spending all of my skulls on storage space. For those who've reached the higher floors, will I regret not keeping a supply of 4 or 5? I haven't felt the need to use them so far to revive my characters, but I gather the cost of salvaging your fighters rockets up as you get higher.

Im really deeply into this. I didn't think I would be as I expected the Free-To-Play mechanics to ruin it, but that hasn't been the case. I've seen it described as a Punk Rock Dark Souls and I think that's an accurate description.

It's got some amazing humour and style, and I really like the pace of the game - once you've levelled up a bit it's can be very fast and satisfying.

Soundtrack is great too - I love the fact that nearly all the songs have Let It Die in the lyrics somewhere. My favourite tracks, is this ballad:

But this track by "A Crow Is White" is perfect lobby music (Im already a fan of the band so this was a nice surprise to find!):

Definitely one of my favourite games this year

On 1/2/2017 at 19:34, MW_Jimmy said:

Im really deeply into this. I didn't think I would be as I expected the Free-To-Play mechanics to ruin it, but that hasn't been the case. I've seen it described as a Punk Rock Dark Souls and I think that's an accurate description.

Punk Rock Dark Souls indeed (but with better taunts). That 'knee shuffle' after an especially brutal and unfair hater encounter immediately takes away most of the frustration. 

Been stuck on the 11-13 floors for a week and only just figured out i need to defeat some well hidden boss a few stages below. Hopefully i can unlock some tier 3 fighters tonight. What's everyone's favourite class? Leaning heavily on my collectors and allrounders for the moment. 

I used an upgraded machete for most of the 10th-20th floors. Might want to pick up a sniper rifle along the way as the last foor before the elevator has lots of sniper enemies.

If you send out four or five fighters on expedition each hour you should make enough coins to salvage fighters from floors 10-16. Salvage costs really jump after floor 16.  

A lot of people seem to like the Iron, as it's usually easy to find blueprints for, relatively easy to upgrade, the R1 parry has huge active frames and burns armour clean off enemies due to multiple hits. Might want to upgrade that a few times, it is pretty handy once it's up a few levels.

I also used the machete, but there's a period where it becomes useless around floor 22 for a while because there's no real way to upgrade it.

13 to 16 shouldn't be too hard, but be absolutely sure you're keeping at least one piece of torso armour up to date. A full set may be too expensive to always have at hand, but some damage mitigation is important.

Yeah, I'm fully level 20 on Hammer and Iron and I tend to keep an Iron on me for the reasons you've mentioned - it's a decent get out.

I've started concentrating on one path for amour upgrades aswell. As I said, one run is starting to become expensive in character retrieval and then kitting out with a couple of weapons and armour.

I think I just need a little bit more luck. I'm not using expeditions currently, as I didn't really want to explore the whole player conflict side. If I send out expeditions do I need to start defending my base?

Nah, expeditions and base defence are separate segments completely - you'll get raided if you've a stack of cash and due to certain imbalances in that side of the game you're almost certainly going to fail the defence. Don't bother defending right now.

As for expeditions, they're a good way to to get rare shrooms and enough coins to cover many incidental expenses. You're on 11-20 right now, so send a bunch out to 11-13 and SAVE ANY TRANSPARUNGUS your dudes bring back. This shroom is currently so overpowered I totally expect it to get nerfed in the future - pure invisibility, and the enemies don't react at all even when you start stabbing them in the kidneys.

If Okusa is on rotation (floor 13, pretty sure) send dudes there as much as you can to have them return with golden snails. 4k experience per munch, or 7k kill coins per sale. You'll get loads, especially if sending out collectors which routinely come back with more stuff on them. 

So yeah! Expeditions are handly. Takes longer than I'd like to send them out and filter out what they bring back, but you'll be rolling in good stuff once you do.

Also, bitterly disappointed in the world that this thread isn't about five million pages long already. What a cracking game.

Jesus. I had no idea about the Transparungus - I thought it would just help a bit with the sneak attacks! Other tips too are greatly appreciated - that's my Saturday afternoon sorted.

I think the Free-To-Play tag has probably put people off investing time into it, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, no such trouble from me.

Its had over a million downloads so I hope it's doing well for Suda & Co! Game drips with style and character - it's fucking awesome! \m/!!!

Yeah, Transparungus works ridiculously well. Bosses will happily wander about scratching their bits as you lay waste to them. I'll list some other notable shrooms here off the top of my head, though some are more advance warnings not to waste them since you can't access them on your current floor:

Guardshooms (Level 31-40): Complete invincibility. Armour won't degrade while under attack either.

Goreshrooms (Level 21+): Hurl at enemy, waltz up, goretastic for an instant kill. Handy for deadlier haters chock full of decals being sent into your game.

Stingshrooms (Level 11+): Crack open a scorpion, grab the shroom that blooms and boom - 100% extra attack, 50% defence reduction. Risky on its own, with other shrooms it'll wreck face. Always toast it (and most other shrooms) to improve its duration and potency.

Lifeshrooms (Level 11+): See those pillbugs? Stomp them so they fall over (stunned, not curled up), kill them while they're on their back (guns work if you're having trouble) and toast and eat the shroom that blooms to immediately get 50% of your life back upon death. No Death Metal needed, but if the attack does more than that 50% of your life it'll still kill you outright.

Those are the big ones unless you're raiding - currently there's one (forgot the name) which 'increases fatigue for all attacks'. It doesn't mention that this is dealt to the enemy, not you, and a few shots from a nailgun will put any defender into groggy state for an instant kill. It's one of the main reasons raids/defending is broken right now, anyone can kill your dudes with this.

Other than that, be sure to keep your gear up to date. There's a pretty harsh reality check around floor 23 where the boss will wreck you if your gear's not up to speed via one-shots. If you can't comfortably take on the inhabitants of the floor without having to run away half the time, it's time to level up some preferred blueprints. And, of course, always use the latest and greatest tier of fighters you have available. Strikers are great with high HP and good melee skills, attackers can use katanas, collectors are great for material runs and lucky stars will rake in more kill coins per run.

Finally (for now) don't underestimate the effect good decals can have on your fighters. If you're flush, buy them from the mushroom shop to get ones that don't expire - they're random, but stuff like being able to heal 7% hp per strike, having poison heal you and many other neat little things are great to have. And the treasure hunter decal is amazing, it allows you to see where everything is on the floor as soon as you arrive - no pathways, but every enemy, switch, material and exit is laid out as soon as you arrive. Superb for the 22 floor gold chest run at Kawabe most people wind up doing.

Oh yeah, and you can toast your shrooms on the brazier outside Momoko's mushroom shop. Which saves running around looking for a fire post-expeditions. Don't throw them! Walk up to the fire with the shroom or food source held out and the icon will change.

39 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Nah, expeditions and base defence are separate segments completely - you'll get raided if you've a stack of cash and due to certain imbalances in that side of the game you're almost certainly going to fail the defence. Don't bother defending right now.

Was in possession of a large amount of splithium but not enough to upgrade any defences so decided to do some raids to gather the missing amount. Invaded a cali-bro and knocked one of his defenders unconscious. Normally i wouldn't dare to take a 'californian' back to the base as it means instant retaliation but then i thought 'freck that huge CA block' and did it anyway. Made sure to quickly spend most of my cash and splithium. Two tier 3 defenders at lv50 (thanks entirely to Okusa snails) and a tier 3 max lv striker were able to withstand 5 attacks before giving up the precious hostage. Seeing all those failed attackers bloodstains in my waiting room was pretty cool though. 

I'm still on floor 21 and spent most of my time looking for mats for armour, fashion before progress etc. I've used my transparangus three times so far but never on a boss. Nasty jackals popping up 5 seconds after you wonder into a new area is terrifying stuff. 

@Kayin Amoh: do you know if the Superalloy decal (20% damage increase when enemy hp is <70%) is indeed broken as i've read or heard somewhere? 

47 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Was in possession of a large amount of splithium but not enough to upgrade any defences so decided to do some raids to gather the missing amount. Invaded a cali-bro and knocked one of his defenders unconscious. Normally i wouldn't dare to take a 'californian' back to the base as it means instant retaliation but then i thought 'freck that huge CA block' and did it anyway. Made sure to quickly spend most of my cash and splithium. Two tier 3 defenders at lv50 (thanks entirely to Okusa snails) and a tier 3 max lv striker were able to withstand 5 attacks before giving up the precious hostage. Seeing all those failed attackers bloodstains in my waiting room was pretty cool though. 

I'm still on floor 21 and spent most of my time looking for mats for armour, fashion before progress etc. I've used my transparangus three times so far but never on a boss. Nasty jackals popping up 5 seconds after you wonder into a new area is terrifying stuff. 

@Kayin Amoh: do you know if the Superalloy decal (20% damage increase when enemy hp is <70%) is indeed broken as i've read or heard somewhere? 

I don't use superalloy as I need the space for other neat decals, but i also heard that it only affects enemies over 70% health, not under. Not tested it, but seems to be the accepted truth right now.

To be fair, you're actually more likely to survive raids if you have a hostage since everyone'll be after you. As a result, people who aren't aware of good raiding tricks or are too low level will be hammering at your doors and blocking higher level players who have the shrooms needed to steamroll your defences from getting to you right away. I've had a squad full of Jackal gear get totally steamrolled by nude dudes with little more than a nailgun and that fatigueshroom. 

You have Jackals appearing before you kill off the enemies on a floor? That's weird - they're a cleanup operation, and shouldn't arrive until everyone but you on the floor is dead.

27 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

You have Jackals appearing before you kill off the enemies on a floor? That's weird - they're a cleanup operation, and shouldn't arrive until everyone but you on the floor is dead.

Cheers for all the info. Koshi Tagawa below Uge has that rotational shop with a Hater. Had full inventory so unloaded two items before the alarm went off. That's 10 seconds after i killed the Hater. And the map is basically a small single corridor. Transparangus saved my butt there. There's another rotational floor around the same level that had nothing but snails, all lined up one after the other. Was new territory so i kinda slowly crouched my way forward, trying to grab them all and not get poisoned. After the fourth or fifth snail the horrible alarm goes off and the first Jackal appeared. Went Benny Hill across the decently sized map, me, tons of snails and after a bit, all three jackals. Died not much later. Thought that floor was pretty unfair lol. Think it was called Maki Mijiri or something like that.  

6 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Cheers for all the info. Koshi Tagawa below Uge has that rotational shop with a Hater. Had full inventory so unloaded two items before the alarm went off. That's 10 seconds after i killed the Hater. And the map is basically a small single corridor. Transparangus saved my butt there. There's another rotational floor around the same level that had nothing but snails, all lined up one after the other. Was new territory so i kinda slowly crouched my way forward, trying to grab them all and not get poisoned. After the fourth or fifth snail the horrible alarm goes off and the first Jackal appeared. Went Benny Hill across the decently sized map, me, tons of snails and after a bit, all three jackals. Died not much later. Thought that floor was pretty unfair lol. Think it was called Maki Mijiri or something like that.  

Aha, yeah. The only time I ever died to a jackal before hunting them down was in one of those small secret shop rooms. They phased in seconds after I'd killed the hater - annoyingly, first through the door was Jackal Y with his homing lasers. No way I could possibly have survived given that I was using a tier 2 and he can easily oneshot you from miles away with no cover at all.

On the plus side, it was something like floor 3 or 4 as opposed to anything serious. This was a long time ago now, before they were removed from the game for the elevator bug.

I don't think I've ever been in snailtown. Most places on the map have been visited, but there's a few on rotation I skipped.

When the alarm goes off i'm too scared to even notice which Jackal pops up :lol: Saved up 70k so decided to visit the shop on Tagawa again, same scenario only this time the shop was closed. Forgot you can only shop once during a rotation ugh... decided to spend it on some delicious mushroom stew instead. 

At what tier/level can i start thinking about taking on those well dressed body snatchers (without having to bring more then 10 shrooms)? 

16 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

When the alarm goes off i'm too scared to even notice which Jackal pops up :lol: Saved up 70k so decided to visit the shop on Tagawa again, same scenario only this time the shop was closed. Forgot you can only shop once during a rotation ugh... decided to spend it on some delicious mushroom stew instead. 

At what tier/level can i start thinking about taking on those well dressed body snatchers (without having to bring more then 10 shrooms)? 

Got some slight mis-info there dude - the shop will scoot off to a new location available on that flooring tier every hour after you visit (on the hour, not an hour after you visited), and restock with a countdown of exactly one hour (from when you bought it, opposite of above). That's how I got the mats for my Jackal stuff.

Speaking of Jackals, don't even try until you've got level 5 fighters, at least high end 4* weapons (5* should technically be better, but they're fragile and weaken way faster) and a bunch of shrooms and decals ready to take them on with. What's more, prepare for disappointment when farming them - their decent drops (blueprints) are fairly rare. I got them by using four bull decals (boost of... 180% or so when at less than 15% health?) and a giant killer (30% damage bonus on anything five levels above you) and a bunch of shrooms. Stingshrooms (2 per jackal), transparungus (again, 2 per jackal) and an arsenal loaded with weapons. Hacking away causes them to blunten, so you need to swap weapons as they lose effectiveness to keep a decent DPS rating.

Also, rather than waste hundreds of shrooms like some nutjobs on the reddit forums think is a sacred calling, I'd close the game from the dash if all three dropped nothing of use. It only saves between floors as a rule, so wasting 6-8 transparungus, stingshrooms and level 5 weapons at 15k a pop (and a 50 minute wait between being able to buy another one) didn't exactly sound more appealing than a quick reset and 9k fighter retrieval fee on floor 11 to recover the items I wasted during the attempt.

A serial killer decal would be divine (+100% damage after 5 kills, scorpions and the like count) but I was never lucky enough to get one from Momoko even after ploughing in millions of kill coins.

On 1/14/2017 at 16:00, Kayin Amoh said:

Got some slight mis-info there dude - the shop will scoot off to a new location available on that flooring tier every hour after you visit (on the hour, not an hour after you visited), and restock with a countdown of exactly one hour (from when you bought it, opposite of above). That's how I got the mats for my Jackal stuff.

Wow, didn't know that. Even after a month of playing i feel there is still so much to figure out. 

Since i'm close to unlocking tier 4 fighters i was wondering about what class i should go for initially? I heard/read that unlocking tear 4 also unlocks tier 4 and 5 haters in your world. This naturally has me slightly worried as even trips to beginning floors can become a life threatening affair again. Can i take a defender with bull/raging bull decals and take advantage of the higher HP to activate the decals relatively safe? Will the attack boost of the decals cover the initial lack of attack power on a defender compared to an allrounder? Maybe even surpass it? 

Dashboard trick is going to save me from much frustration in the future! 

5 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Wow, didn't know that. Even after a month of playing i feel there is still so much to figure out. 

Since i'm close to unlocking tier 4 fighters i was wondering about what class i should go for initially? I heard/read that unlocking tear 4 also unlocks tier 4 and 5 haters in your world. This naturally has me slightly worried as even trips to beginning floors can become a life threatening affair again. Can i take a defender with bull/raging bull decals and take advantage of the higher HP to activate the decals relatively safe? Will the attack boost of the decals cover the initial lack of attack power on a defender compared to an allrounder? Maybe even surpass it? 

Dashboard trick is going to save me from much frustration in the future! 

I honestly couldn't say about the tier thing - seems unlikely though, you'd barely scratch a tier 5 (level 140-145ish) enemy with a tier 4 character (max 100-ish, with possibly slight variation on cap). One of the problems I have giving advice is that I blasted up the tower ahead of the curve (probably not the first to finish, but not far off), so I was often going up against developer bots instead of other player's haters. Makes it hard to predict what others would be encountering during their climb.

While I wish I had more solid answers regarding defender/bulls, I was pretty vanilla in my approach and went Striker for the most part. Strikers have high HP as a rule too, though still less than defenders, and I'd be pretty wary about wandering around with such a small health buffer. As the armour degrades, so too would the protection afforded by it, and I like having too many other decals on - treasure hunter, for example, is permanently affixed to anyone I'd take out for a 'real' trip. (ie - not hunting Jackals)

So yeah - the bulls do give a nice little boost to all stats, but I'd say it would be pretty risky - if only due to the armour degradation. Once bits start popping off, the bonus to defence would diminish greatly.

I had no idea about the lifeshrooms. I've been roasting the pillbugs.

Is the effect temporary, or can you use one at the start of a run and have the effect last throughout?

Just getting back into this after a few weeks without my PS4 during Christmas. I've a dozen games to play, including newish releases like the Last Guardian and Dishonored 2, but this one game is still monopolising all of my time, as it was throughout December. There's something utterly compelling about gradually working your way up the tower, unlocking new shortcuts.

BTW, and others are probably already aware, but I just last night realised that there's a starter pack of items and 5 death metals available free for PS+ users in the store. Came in handy for me as I needed to upgrade my chest (currently 180 capacity and still constantly full along with my rewards box due to my tendency to hoard shrooms and resources).

Another question:
Is it generally best to just choose a single armor set and upgrade that (which is what I've been doing), or are there certain standout sets that are generally considered the best to upgrade? I've so many resources to use up that I'm tempted to just upgrade as much as possible, but I've already got one piece of rank 2 torso armor to +4 and I'm just waiting for the right items to convert it to rank 3, which will see its defence leap from something like 250 currently to 900. Seems pointless upgrading anything else in the meantime. Maybe I should just scrap all the cotton, wool etc I've been hoarding.

48 minutes ago, JohnnyRyall said:

I had no idea about the lifeshrooms. I've been roasting the pillbugs.

Is the effect temporary, or can you use one at the start of a run and have the effect last throughout?

Just getting back into this after a few weeks without my PS4 during Christmas. I've a dozen games to play, including newish releases like the Last Guardian and Dishonored 2, but this one game is still monopolising all of my time, as it was throughout December. There's something utterly compelling about gradually working your way up the tower, unlocking new shortcuts.

BTW, and others are probably already aware, but I just last night realised that there's a starter pack of items and 5 death metals available free for PS+ users in the store. Came in handy for me as I needed to upgrade my chest (currently 180 capacity and still constantly full along with my rewards box due to my tendency to hoard shrooms and resources).

Replying to both posts:

Lifeshrooms last until you 'die' and lose the little heart icon at the top left beneath your health, or until you turn off the game. It'll last between floors and trips back down to the waiting room, so feel free to have it in reserve if you think you're going somewhere dangerous.

There's also a one-off 30 death metal package you can buy for a fiver. It's damn good value, I think. Provides plenty of opportunity to expand your storage, I wound up with just over 350 by the time I took a break, having done pretty much everything that can currently be done.

I'd recommend focusing on one suit of armour, mainly. The Sengoku set's pretty rad, though I opted for the special forces ones because they were pretty easy to three star (their max) and I was getting the mats for those faster. I'd recommend something with good slash defence, or even blunt defence (unlike the spec forces ones I just mentioned which are bullet resistant but weak to slashing attacks). Not a lot of enemies use guns, and neither do a lot of haters that get sent into your game.

This game. So damn good. Love talking about it!

I think it's the special forces set that I've been upgrading. Will probably continue with it for now until I get access to better materials and blueprints.

30 death metals for £5 sounds great but I don't remember seeing that pack, only 5 death metals for £5.

I do remember reading that there was deal similar to the above around launch but I assumed it was time-limited or US-only as I couldn't see it when I checked the store (this was back in December). Did I miss it?

2 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Lifeshrooms last until you 'die' and lose the little heart icon at the top left beneath your health, or until you turn off the game. It'll last between floors and trips back down to the waiting room, so feel free to have it in reserve if you think you're going somewhere dangerous.

Mind blown. Have a couple of these and was saving them for harder times. Should be able to survive some more Hater deaths this way which is going to save me a ton of credits salvage wise.  

This game. So damn good. Love talking about it!

If you love talking about the game so much maybe you can tell me where I find the Texas Farmer set blue prints? ;) 

Heard someone say they couldn't get the hot iron blueprint after x hours of play and couldn't believe it until i noticed i was still missing the TFS even after 20-30 hours. 

I quite like the full phantom soldier set up and most of my more developed sets are War Ensemble but the combined slash penalty is definitely a thing on floor 20+. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyRyall said:

I think it's the special forces set that I've been upgrading. Will probably continue with it for now until I get access to better materials and blueprints.

30 death metals for £5 sounds great but I don't remember seeing that pack, only 5 death metals for £5.

I do remember reading that there was deal similar to the above around launch but I assumed it was time-limited or US-only as I couldn't see it when I checked the store (this was back in December). Did I miss it?

Weird. The £5 one currently isn't there, I've reached out to their Twitter to see if this is supposed to be the case - there was nothing in the description about it being a time limited item (only that you could buy it once and that's it), and a few others have gone absent too. Splatter 13 Death Metal pack, for instance - not something I'd have suggested buying, but it's disappeared from the storefront too. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tze said:

Mind blown. Have a couple of these and was saving them for harder times. Should be able to survive some more Hater deaths this way which is going to save me a ton of credits salvage wise.  

If you love talking about the game so much maybe you can tell me where I find the Texas Farmer set blue prints? ;) 

Heard someone say they couldn't get the hot iron blueprint after x hours of play and couldn't believe it until i noticed i was still missing the TFS even after 20-30 hours. 

I quite like the full phantom soldier set up and most of my more developed sets are War Ensemble but the combined slash penalty is definitely a thing on floor 20+. 

Texas blueprints are a random chest drop down in the 1-10 range. No real way to speed it up, though some prints only drop from 1-5 and 5-10 in any given tier.

And yeah, any special ops / commando set tends to be better at dealing with gunfire than slash damage. Agamemnon's the first one (floors 20+) that I started focusing on, but I moved on from it later.

I'd be interested to hear what they come back with on twitter, but I think I've missed it.

I might buy one of the other packs. I should really spend something on the game, after all, given how much time I'm putting into it.

Having said that, I'm not really feeling any compulsion to spend, and I wonder how many people will. I've only been using my death metals to expand my storage space, and having learned about the lifeshrooms they seem less necessary than ever for revival.

I hope the game is successful for Grasshopper/Gungho. It's the most generous F2P game I've ever played. Perhaps the penalties for dying and the cost of salvaging your fighters would be less if you were designing it as a retail game, but I'm not sure you'd change much beyond that.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think they're maybe being too generous with what they give you for free and a little too tight fisted on what you can actually buy. I love the hell out of the game, but very few things on offer seem all that worthwhile. £5 for 30 DM - worth it. £14 for 30 - ehhhhh, I'm getting by okay, thanks.

I would recommend the express pass though. Those things are amazing, save a ton of cash and net a lot of handy decals every day that they're active. That's worthwhile, the rest maybe not so much.