rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Abzû - Journey Successor

Abzu-752x430.jpg

Official Site

Release Date: August 2nd 2016 

ABOUT

Discover a lush hidden world as you descend into the heart of the ocean, where ancient secrets lie forgotten and encounters with majestic creatures await.

ABZÛ is an epic descent into the depths of the sea, where players will explore beautifully rendered ocean environments with fluid swimming controls. The experience draws inspiration from the deep innate narrative that we all carry within our subconscious: the story of ABZÛ is a universal myth that resonates across cultures. The name references a concept from the oldest mythologies; it is the combination of the two ancient words AB, meaning ocean, and ZÛ, meaning to know. ABZÛ is the ocean of wisdom.

IMAGES

Spoiler

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image7.jpg

VIDEOS

Spoiler

One of the few stand-out games from the Sony media briefing.

• Upvote 6

Found the ol' thread again!

2 minutes of that was more than enough for me to get this on day 1. Media blackout from here on out!

• Upvote 3

The soundtrack is also by Austin Wintory :D

August 2, 2016 is the release date.

• Upvote 1

Really looking forward to this. It looks sublime.

Just grabbed it for the pre-order price of £12.79 on PS4.

Considering it unlocks at 11pm tonight, I'm surprised no reviews out for it yet.

Ah well, I will have to wait then. Needs David Attenborough commentary dlc describing all the weird creatures and fauna as you play.

Only 'review' I've seen is someone on GAF who says it was like playing Journey 2, but he actually preferred it to Journey. Gulp.

Although very different, the vibe of discovery and wonder I get from watching the trailer for this, reminds me of playing the original Tomb Raider back when. 

• Upvote 2

Bit annoying that the discounted price is only available before reviews come out. <_<

Edit: Sod it, preordered. Which means it'll get critically panned and be the worst game ever. 

Holy shit! I had completely forgotten about this. Journey is my favourite game of all time. I can't believe this is out today. That's my evening sorted. Excite!

Played about 30 mins before work. Gorgeous visually and aurally and incredibly relaxing. The meditation bits are lovely. Scoring in the mid 80s on metacritic for those that care.

Can't wait to dive back in this evening.

Won't be able to play this tonight as I'm out on the beers. Getting the feeling this will be a perfect hangover game though which is ideal.

I had a lovely little go on this last night swimming with the fishes

Spoiler

and mammals.

Obviously it's all a bit Journey, but it mostly brought back happy memories of playing Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future (the easier bits).

Pre-order gamble paid off.

It also controls really well, though I had to switch the camera controls from inverted to normal (right stick fwd to look up) but kept the diver control as inverted obvs (left stick fwd to dive, back to climb). Couldn't get used to both inverted.

Just wish the boost kick lasted longer or could be activated more frequently.

I thought I was in the music folder for a minute when this thread popped back to the top.

Anyways, I'd forgotten about this so it's a very pleasant surprise to see it out today. Now to decide between PC (possibly a little prettier and the ability to use the xbox one controller) or the PS4 (big TV)..

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

It also controls really well, though I had to switch the camera controls from inverted to normal (right stick fwd to look up) but kept the diver control as inverted obvs (left stick fwd to dive, back to climb). Couldn't get used to both inverted.

Just wish the boost kick lasted longer or could be activated more frequently.

I think the controls are great, there's a real flow to movement and it does that in and out of free control thing a bit like Flower.  Holding underwater creatures, letting go, flipping out of the water and underwater spins all slickly done.  Controlling like Flower, but with an analogue stick and stunts kind of describes in perfectly really.

I was into this years ago from the day it was announced but the last 6 months of promotion have made me feel uneasy about the game. I just had this gut feeling it wasn't even on par with Journey, never mind better. Reading the Polygon review (and rummaging through metacritic) confirmed my suspicions. I wish the art was on par with Journey but even though it has the same art director there is something not quite as successful this time around (even though it still looks lovely). Journey as a game was just pushing you down a path but it a unique and creative feature (anonymous other player) that added a sense of randomness to the formula, Abzu seems to be Journey without an unique selling point. 

So, I'm interested but it's not a day 1 for me. Maybe a day 2 or 5 depending on views I read here.

I want to like this more than I do, it's not even close to Journey for me :/ I don't even really like the aesthetic. The hippyish meditation bits feel quite indicative of what it is at this point. It's perfectly pleasant but Journey was magical