IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Utterly stunning. I'm not huge fan of open world games. Fallout3 was the only one I really got to grips with. Sykrim I got a fair way into but just got bored. However, this. Wow. The atmosphere, the sense of exploration and scale. Stunning. How is Skyrim going to be able to compete with this when it launches on switch later this year? The template and standard has been raised to another level. In my opinion, only Nintendo can craft a game like this.

One little thing playing the WiiU version, I keep looking down at the gamepad looking for the map. But, that could just be where I completed Twilight Princess last night at 1am so I could start playing BotW.

22 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Remember when people were freaking out about there being no towns or NPCs in the E3 demo? Lol! The Treehouse staff must've been rolling their eyes so hard knowing what they knew. Latest village I arrived at is a complete delight. ♪Hoo-WAH, hoo-WAH!♪

Lol yeah. The 2 i have been to are wonderful. Nintendo have gone for variety instead of scale, no copy paste npc's here. 

42 minutes ago, jonamok said:

A game mechanics spoiler from the game guide about bokoblins etc. that I've not seen mentioned anywhere in here:

Reveal hidden contents

The more of them you kill, the tougher the rest in the world get. And the more tougher versions spawn at campsites. Combine that with the Blood Moon resurrection and I've taken to avoiding killing anything unless I have to! That's quite a brutal mechanic.

Totally changed the way I'm playing.

Spoiler

Crap!  I'm only a couple of hours in and at the moment I happily plough into a group of them when I see them.  I won't be doing that any more either now.

19 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Reveal hidden contents

Crap!  I'm only a couple of hours in and at the moment I happily plough into a group of them when I see them.  I won't be doing that any more either now.

That probably explains why

I got utterly owned by just two of them armed with mops

I think this game will probably last me at least a year. It's a crazy amount to do. Some of the shrines are devilishly difficult so far and I've only just started. I can't stand the ones that require really precise motion control.

Cooking is awesome by the way. I spent a good half an hour creating and it's amazing what kind of combinations you can get. I've never died this many times in a Zelda game. 

I think the reason there is no recipe list is because often there's more than one way to make a dish. Substituting one vegetable for another might yield the same dish, maybe even with slightly different properties. There must be thousands of possible combinations, but only a hundred (hundreds maybe?) recipes. It also encourages experimentation, not having a record of everything you make. You come to remember what kinds of dishes are possible, and what sort of ingredients you need to make them, and that can lead to surprises.

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

Reveal hidden contents

This stuff is excellent! Jeff Gerstmann was grumping about this kind of thing, displaying his small minded & reactionary opinion. He fucking winds me up and I don't know why I'm mentioning this. 

Pendantic and inaccurate nitpicking for the sake of it is very frustrating. 

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I got this game a day before release and people are already hours ahead of me. I've still only got my opening 3 hearts. Haven't come across a proper dungeon or boss yet. How do you guys find the time?

Not that I'm complaining, mind. I'm enjoying savouring the experience but think I might leave the thread soon for fear of things being spoiled.

Same here, everyone is being good with the spoiler tags though, just loving the game and hearing everyone's adventures.

I found the tree chopping thing on the way to the snowy shrine in the plateau, the guy told me about it.

3 minutes ago, clippa said:

There's a wiki if that's any good to you - http://orcz.com/Breath_of_the_Wild:_Recipes

and an android app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nyntek.chef

I've got a notepad and pen. I'm doing it oldschool!

Took me a little while to relax into the pace of the game but I'm really enjoying myself now.

Yeah, I'm taking screenshots of in-game recipes with the button on the Switch and opening up the gallery now and again to check if I have the ingredients.

Yeah, I'm taking screenshots of in-game recipes with the button on the Switch and opening up the gallery now and again to check if I have the ingredients.

If you select an item in your inventory you have made there is the option to see its recipe. Doesn't help for stuff you no longer have i suppose!

that is the first dungeon I went into as well

have to say I was totally undercooked for it - I only had 4 hearts health and its very very tough, I had a load of weapons, arrows and piles of food cooked up too, just getting there was a trial and a half.

now this is where people's mileage may vary - I spent most of the morning on it and in previous games on a big console suspect I'd have quit and not come back for a while - the switch though gave me the opportunity to pick up the console and sit by my iMac with youtube open. I know to some folks this is against the rules but the option was there and for people like myself with short attention span and ageing brain cells it was an utter godsend to get thru it (even still had to go back to the tv to beat the final boss as the pro controller is so much better than the undocked ones)

it was all very stressful and I'm now planning to spend hours just doodling about, doing smaller shrines, cooking stuff, messing about with horses and generally not moving the main story on for a few hours.

reckon I'm 10-12h in over the weekend, which is unheard of for me to play most games in total nowadays.

I wouldn't worry about it Gotters. You're not alone. I'm following guides for the dungeons and any of the more complicated shrines. Life's too short. Mind you I stayed up until 5am this morning exploring and opening up new areas.

Wow I don't think I've seen a rllmuk thread with such universal praise in a long time.

I think one of the things that makes this game such a triumph (so far for me at least) is that they've not sacrificed what made the previous games so good in favour of an open-world game. 

I loved The Phantom Pain but couldn't help but miss a lot of the characteristics the MGS games had accumulated over the years. Whereas there's no either/or with Breath of the Wild, it feels like a full-fat Zelda game inside an amazing open-world game. 

You get both :D

I, uh, just killed my Horse Dave. I accidentally fell from a great height, paraglided to safety but Dave just lay there, not moving, then vanished. I feel bad.

Old vs New: I know it's the forums most marmite game but it's actually amazing to me how much of a straight line from Skyward to this there is. The item collection, stamina, potions, environmental puzzles and clockwork  town were all there in Skyward, they just light up when placed inside the new context. Even the graphic style is an evolution of SS. I'd really like a HD remake when I'm done with this.

This is a different beast than traditional Zelda though. Eventually a New Legend of Zelda will seem like an attractive proposition, particularly if it's kept tight.  But it'll be a while.

Having played the wii u version for a week or so. And having bought the Switch version.

Wii-u advantage: the wiiu controller the joystick and buttons feel right. I think the joy cons arent as accurate.

I cant seem to precisely point to the exact direction on the compass arrow first time on the joycon. With the wii u the joystick ring at the bottom makes it quite precise.

The buttons on the wiiu travel so well compared to the joycon ones.

The advantage of the Switch better loading and less frame rate drop.

I dont like playing on the little screen prefer the TV.

This is interesting but a friend of a friend on facebook said they phoned EBgames asking about getting a physical copy of Zelda on wiiU and they were told Nintendo have discontinued the item. I fail to believe that it's been discontinued worldwide already, that would be both evil and stupid.

1 hour ago, Napole0n said:

Shadow of the Colossus did the stamina thing first I think.

Yeah you're right it did, I think it feels different in this because you can just climb or go anywhere. It feels very unrestricted traversal wise. 

But yeah, I get very strong Colossus vibes from this.

I've never had any affection for Zelda having never played one before but this is tempted me so much. I have a WiiU (cant afford a Switch) so just wondering, is it worth getting on the WiiU? Is it the same game as the Switch, just not as good graphics/loading times?