The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

It's the sign of a very well crafted open world that everyone has a different story and takes a completely different route through the game. And it's Nintendo who made it? Fucking hell. Trump President, Nintendo doing this. Did we all slip into upside down world without noticing?

Anyone found any bugs (glitches not insects)?   This is an incredibly complicated game and it seems pretty flawless.  Certainly in comparison to Bethesda games.

The only thing I can think of is some videos of the game freezing momentarily - which seems to be something else rather than actual slowdown.   Not that I've seen it myself.

34 minutes ago, Flub said:

It's the sign of a very well crafted open world that everyone has a different story and takes a completely different route through the game. And it's Nintendo who made it? Fucking hell. Trump President, Nintendo doing this. Did we all slip into upside down world without noticing?

Nintendo making a well-crafted game is normal.

2 minutes ago, JPickford said:

That's not in dispute. Nintendo not being utterly conservative with one of it's biggest franchises is what's surprising. That they've pulled a Blizzard with a genre they don't normally touch and completely transformed the Zelda series is not what you'd expect from Nintendo. It'll be interesting to see if they do something similar with Mario. I also hope that other companies such as Ubi and Bethesda are paying very close attention to this.

Decided to go find the Rito instead of the Zora first. It was an incredibly beautiful trip via horseback and then gliding over enormous canyons and from peak to peak. I rushed past many hours of possible adventuring and saw some proper scary shit. But I found a COMET and three stables along the way to their village which is just beautiful. Truly incredible. I feel so far away. I hope I haven't made a mistake.

It's all so incredible, right

up there with the first time I played Mario 64. Maybe even better.

I've got such Ghibli vibes from traversing the world. Like Nausica jumping on her crazy flying thing to zoom from crazy thing to crazy thing.

2 minutes ago, Ale Crow said:

I've got such Ghibli vibes from traversing the world. Like Nausica jumping on her crazy flying thing to zoom from crazy thing to crazy thing.

Yeah I'm getting strong Laputa vibes from the broken down, over grown Guardian robots.

12 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Anyone found any bugs (glitches not insects)?   This is an incredibly complicated game and it seems pretty flawless.  Certainly in comparison to Bethesda games.

The only thing I can think of is some videos of the game freezing momentarily - which seems to be something else rather than actual slowdown.   Not that I've seen it myself.

When i got to the first stable a guy was walking past it with a donkey, the donkeys legs were not animating so it was sliding along the ground. That is the only bug i have seen in many hours play. Amazing.

Made my way to one of the main dungeons last night and it was a very enjoyable journey. The weather seems scripted sometimes, rainstorms as i enter ruins, shafts of sunlight as i emerge from a battle, so good. The contrast between open world do anything gameplay and when Nintendo pull you in a direction with a more traditional Zelda approach is seemless. Rapidly becoming my fave game ever this one is.

9 minutes ago, Kazit said:

Funny I'm seeing chat about horses, I just came across them last night. Spent a bit of time butchering one to my disappointment no raw meat reward. Ah well no burgers for link I guess.

You have problems.

5 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

And, fucking hell, I certainly did just that! In a monster session of, say, 9 hours, I've managed to fill in the entire map, with the exception of the south-west corner. (I'm saving that for when the main quest actually wants me to go there. Not sure why, it just feels right.)

It was probably the best marathon gaming session I've had in my entire life. It was non-stop adventure. It was scary, exciting, hilarious, captivating, surprising, tense, and much, much more. There were towers that I was obviously not "supposed" to access yet (try not to shit yourself when, whilst climbing a tall structure, you see yourself getting targeted by three guardians, for instance) but through sheer meter management, resource management, stealth, battle skills (I'm getting good at parrying!) and pure fucking bravado I get myself through every challenge.

Sadly I think you've commited a huge booboo there.  It's wonderful how the game pushes the feeling that you can go off and just explore but.... so much of the story and quests is geared around actually visiting places. It's going to be incredibly dull later to talk to someone who tells you to scale some mountain and you are just like "well I did that on my first day...meh".  There's a point coming up after the first proper village (not a spoiler) where you are given points in the world and have no idea where they are, just getting to one nearby is a huge adventure in that point of the game but by finishing the exploration already its going to be a cake walk. Feel sorry for you in that sense, you have spoiled a lot of the sense of wonder as you go along, you just know the world.

59 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Sadly I think you've commited a huge booboo there.  It's wonderful how the game pushes the feeling that you can go off and just explore but.... so much of the story and quests is geared around actually visiting places. It's going to be incredibly dull later to talk to someone who tells you to scale some mountain and you are just like "well I did that on my first day...meh".  There's a point coming up after the first proper village (not a spoiler) where you are given points in the world and have no idea where they are, just getting to one nearby is a huge adventure in that point of the game but by finishing the exploration already its going to be a cake walk. Feel sorry for you in that sense, you have spoiled a lot of the sense of wonder as you go along, you just know the world.

I've got to say, this is a pretty strange thing to say, Lorf. I don't think I agree with you at all. I've filled in about a quarter of my map, and have not progressed very far with the actual story, yet I am eager and willing to revisit the places I've already been to again and again. I've already made a couple of trips back to the Plateau, the area which has been the subject of many hours of preview footage, and each time I've visited I've found something new. Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is so jam-packed with discovery, that it really doesn't matter if you choose to explore the whole map early on or not, unless you're going over everything with a fine-tooth comb as you go, there will be plenty to see and experience on subsequent visits.

1 minute ago, revlob said:

I've got to say, this is a pretty strange thing to say, Lorf. I don't think I agree with you at all. I've filled in about a quarter of my map, and have not progressed very far with the actual story, yet I am eager and willing to revisit the places I've already been to again and again. I've already made a couple of trips back to the Plateau, the area which has been the subject of many hours of preview footage, and each time I've visited I've found something new. I'm trying to say that Hyrule in Breath of the Wild is so jam-packed with discovery, that it really doesn't matter if you choose to explore the whole map early on or not, unless you're going over everything with a fine-tooth comb as you go, there will be plenty to see and experience on subsequent visits.

He has though, read the rest of his post:

So, yeah, I've pretty much glided through all of Hyrule, unlocked every tower, done a shitload of shrines, got a sick amount of weapons and gear... and am only now approaching the second village  I feel so OP right now, LOL, but it was so worth it.

And he has all of the gear so it's not going to be much of a challenge :(

14 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I couldn't disagree more.   I want to explore much more than I want to follow a story.    

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

Although they've had a helping hand from (Nintendo owned) Monolith Soft with regard to world layout on this one, and that's one thing they're brilliant at.

32 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

He has though, read the rest of his post:

So, yeah, I've pretty much glided through all of Hyrule, unlocked every tower, done a shitload of shrines, got a sick amount of weapons and gear... and am only now approaching the second village  I feel so OP right now, LOL, but it was so worth it.

And he has all of the gear so it's not going to be much of a challenge :(

Armour doesn't do a great deal (I find the set bonuses more useful but even then they're situational) and weapons aren't going to last him long. I've got 10 hearts, good weapons, level 3 armour, have the entire map unlocked and a camp of bokoblins can still put up a fight at times. It's definitely not going to be a pushover. At least not for very long. Also spoiler about killing monsters

Kill enough of a type and the chances of spawning harder versions increases. Sounds like a punishment but is an important part of the progression

Last night I practiced perfect guarding on of the guardian near one of the shrines on the plateau. Turns out that was both a good and a bad idea. When you're that close to a guardian the timing gets weird and harder. You have to do the block just before the beam fires. When I wandered off into central Hyrule to find other ones I found out it was much easier at a bigger range since you can see the beam coming. I suppose it was good practice though :) My next job is to get good at dodging so I can do flurries.

I had one glitch while looking for a secret on the Bridge of Hylia.  It started raining while I was climbing around the supports, so I quickly found a ledge to wait it out.  I then went into first person so I could scan around the lake & look for points of interest, but when I returned to normal view Link was inside the bridge support.  I could walk around inside & the walls were invisible so I could look out, but I couldn't exit & Link appeared trapped in there.  Fortunately, I was able to warp to a nearby Shrine to escape.

Yesterday I found out Hylian is pronounced as HAIlian instead of Hilian. I mean I guess it makes sense but it just sounds so wrong in my head. I've been saying/thinking it differently all this time!

This is like finding out Santa doesn't exist all over again. :(

I climbed up to the top of Mount Lanayru last night after a tip-off from a villager. Wow. The trip up there took 25 minutes and meant I had to prepare with my warm tunic and some specific heat-retaining meals, but oh boy was it worth it for what I found when I got there.

This game is just stunning... I had a Bokoblin/Moblin battle on the way to work today that could've come straight out of Halo.  It started when I annoyed some bees by stealing their hive.  They were chasing me... nearby walking NPCs ran for cover... as I was running away I noticed a camp in a ruined castle.  Quite a few of them in there.  I ran in amongst them with the bees and the bees started attacking the Moblins... then, once I got my bearings, it was time to get torn on.

Breaking weapons everywhere, chucking weapons, parry, flurry attacks, knock weapons from the enemies hand and attack them back with them.  The combat in this game is just brilliant.  

Just did two very hard combat shrines one after another. I'd depleted most of my weapons on the first and thought I was almost a goner on the second after a good 10 minutes of chipping away, when it's health almost depleted and it deployed it's devastating laser attack. I just kept hitting away with a weak sword and got hit in the face - but thankfully I was left with a quarter of a heart - I just kept swinging away as it charged up again and managed to destroy it just before it unleashed it's next blast. Got three really nice weapons from that.

Side note, is there a way to avoid those laser targeted attacks in the shrines? Hiding behind a pillar doesn't seem to help.