IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

11 minutes ago, sprite said:

Yes I definitely agree. With WoW it was like they were ticking the zone boxes in vanilla, even in later stages the landscapes are all incredibly distinct but I guess they wanted to do that for universal appeal. Hyrule feels genuinely like one world :-)

That said, the first time i went to Winterspring I did fall in love.

I started with TBC, so I instantly fell in love with Silvermoon City and Ghostlands. The themes from those areas are among my favourite pieces of game music. I'd played FFXI before, but this was something else.

I absolutely ADORED playing through those beginning moments. I started on a warm May Saturday afternoon and ended up doing an all-nighter through to Sunday evening, ending inside the Undercity at level 20. I still play through once every few years on a 2.4.3 private realm. Absolutely magical stuff, and yes, the transition through those areas (following the Dead Scar :)) came to be realised as a big improvement over the zone structure in vanilla* - that was the one thing I definitely remember feeling disappointed about after getting to Orgrimmar and embarking on leveling further as there was a noticeable drop in the quality of the environments and their transitions into one another. 

*I might be talking crap. Ghostlands was separated from Silvermoon by a simple stream. Cross the bridge and it's an immediate texture and palette swap.

35 minutes ago, Riven said:

Sadly there's not much point me continuing any serious discussion on this if the fan responsive are offensive like this and people are just going to neg you when you are raising your thoughts, without even discussing why.

Totally feel free to express yourself if you do so wish! That's what discussion is for! Free to put forth your point, but conversely.. don't get sad when it's pointed out that it's a bunch of shit. 

On the subject of Korok seeds, I'm curious if there's any puzzle variations I've been completely oblivious to or if I've seen them all. Mild spoilers obviously

- Hiding under a stone

- Catch the moving twinkly thing

- Matching tetris shapes 

- Completing circles/shapes with stones

- Push boulders into holes in the ground

- The races activated by standing on a treetrunk

- Shooting moving targets next to a pinwheel

- There is the odd balloon (and a couple of acorns I think?) hanging on their own in weird places. Shoot them for korok

- Putting metal boulders in tree trunks (one variation had you balance three metal boulders on rocks in the middle of a river)

- Throw a stone in a circle of rocks

- Take fruit from a tree so all three trees in a line have matching amounts of fruit

- Put apples in front of shrines (saw one variation putting eggs into a hot spring in front of shrines to boil them)

think that's all of them.

Did he really mention Sleeping Dogs? Seriously? If I think of all my favourite open world games, this has something from them all. The scale of Skyrim (but this is bigger), the parachute from Just Cause 2, quirky characters from Fable 2, riding around on a horse a la Red Dead Redemption, swords and climbing around like Assassins Creed Black Flag, exploring a beautiful game world like you did in GTAV and collecting stuff from Crackdown. It does all of my favourite things and I've never played a launch game on a new console that's as good as this.

21 minutes ago, Majora said:

On the subject of Korok seeds, I'm curious if there's any puzzle variations I've been completely oblivious to or if I've seen them all. Mild spoilers obviously

Reveal hidden contents

think that's all of them.

Couple of others:

Spoiler

- Diving into a ring of lily pads

- Melting ice boulders (this one I only learnt about today)

My one niggle with the game (and I say niggle, it's about the best I can come up with) is that it's a shame there's no hookshot variant in here. Hookshotting around while paragliding would make for some great moments.

8 minutes ago, revlob said:

Couple of others:

Hide contents

- Diving into a ring of lily pads

- Melting ice boulders (this one I only learnt about today)

Ah yes, I've done both of those. Although the latter one I'm reluctant to bother with because I often just end up wasting my arrows on nothing.

There's actually a bit more variety than I thought, even though there are two particular types which seem to be the clear majority.

I have a question regarding a couple of weapons I have.

Spoiler

I found in a chest in a shrine somewhere, a boomerang. Not the Lizal kind, the actual classic bent stick kind. I've also got a totally ace giant metal boomerang, but I don't recall where I picked that up from. Are either of these replaceable? I've not encountered any enemies which use them, yet, so if they break I have no idea where I'll find another. I've been holding onto these with more reluctance to use them than any of my other weapons.

43 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Totally feel free to express yourself if you do so wish! That's what discussion is for! Free to put forth your point, but conversely.. don't get sad when it's pointed out that it's a bunch of shit. 

It feels like going in the Space thread in OT and wanting to have a serious discussion about how NASA faked the moon landings. Yes, it's an opinion. But don't expect a welcome mat.

23 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

My one niggle with the game (and I say niggle, it's about the best I can come up with) is that it's a shame there's no hookshot variant in here. Hookshotting around while paragliding would make for some great moments.

I was thinking about this just last night!! Although I feel a mid-to-late game grapple beam rune would certainly break a lot of the game.

I'm not sure BOTW misses the hookshot. The toolset you have early on is insanely good...

On top of bad-ass weapons and gear, you can throw infinite amount of bombs, freeze objects and baddies in time, freeze water into platforms, sling giant metal objects around like Sir Ian McKellan, glide very long distances, slow down time while you use a bow, climb fucking anything, and shield-grind like Avril Lavigne.

And then there are the various Beast rewards that further enhance this basic toolset in fun and novel ways, while adding huge combo potential.

And it all hangs together.

None of it breaks anything else.

How the living fuck have they done this?

I just got to a bit I was really anticipating but what happened when I got there what kind of disappointing:

Spoiler

The Yiga clan hideout in the desert. My introduction to the the Yiga was as I was riding my horse one night after I'd decided to venture off a bit. Found a person crying, you go to help but something doesn't feel quite right. Of course it was one of the Yiga clan and they immediately go after you in quite a menacing way. I actually ran off on my horse as quick as I could like "nope nope nope nope nope."

Given that excellent introduction and the building references to them as I continued to play I expected when I inevitably had to face them for real that they'd be even more sinister. The reality was that entering their hideout was easy and their leader was a goofy pushover. Meh.

1 minute ago, Napole0n said:

Over forty hours in and still haven't found any flaws. And I'm rllmuk's resident anti-Nintendo Zelda hater apparently.

No, Wipers the President of that club. You can be the notary. 

3 minutes ago, freezycold said:

I just got to a bit I was really anticipating but what happened when I got there what kind of disappointing:

Reveal hidden contents

The Yiga clan hideout in the desert. My introduction to the the Yiga was as I was riding my horse one night after I'd decided to venture off a bit. Found a person crying, you go to help but something doesn't feel quite right. Of course it was one of the Yiga clan and they immediately go after you in quite a menacing way. I actually ran off on my horse as quick as I could like "nope nope nope nope nope."

Given that excellent introduction and the building references to them as I continued to play I expected when I inevitably had to face them for real that they'd be even more sinister. The reality was that entering their hideout was easy and their leader was a goofy pushover. Meh.

You've only just begun to pay, mate.