IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I crossed the map from bottom left to top right corners on foot, minimal gliding and climbing, one invisible wall corner to the other :) 

Damn you Broker! I was gonna complete this in the next couple of days and Twitch stream this over the weekend. I expect it would take me much longer as I get distracted by various things. (Which was gonna kind of be the point of the video as opposed to just timing it.) But I feel like my thunder has been stolen. :(

Mipha has the worst VA I've heard in a game in a long time. No idea what they were going for with that. It sounds like someone reading timidly and quietly from a script and English isn't their first language so they have no idea where to put emphasis, so they end up putting emphasis on nothing. It's just this timid, mannered, emotionless squeak of an attempt at acting. 

Zelda is too breathy and her acting is kind of weak anyway. The Goron champion was ok but American and therefore wrong. The Rito Champion was ok. Not met the Gerudo one yet, there's been a general upward trend so maybe this one will qualify as actually good.

NOA, treat your flagship franchises to better voice acting. I refuse to believe this 'talent' was the best they could get for a game of this calibre. I've actually heard that some of the European dubs are really good and have well known actors so there's no excuse.

2 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Waggle shrines are a fucking pain in the ass in handheld mode.  Having to tip the fucking thing away so you can't see the screen is just sooooo bloody stupid.

Can't you detach a joycon and rest the screen on your lap/a surface while you do them?

47 minutes ago, *chin* said:

Damn you Broker! I was gonna complete this in the next couple of days and Twitch stream this over the weekend. I expect it would take me much longer as I get distracted by various things. (Which was gonna kind of be the point of the video as opposed to just timing it.) But I feel like my thunder has been stolen. :(

It's as quick as possible with no stops and no voice so it's more of a showcase than a real journey. I think yours sounds way more interesting, go for it :) 

2 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Waggle shrines are a fucking pain in the ass in handheld mode.  Having to tip the fucking thing away so you can't see the screen is just sooooo bloody stupid.

Conversely the other day I was doing a "waggle" shrine while playing on the TV and I actually had to go to handheld mode to get it done. It was a shrine where I was controlling a big hammer to knock a metal ball into a stone ball which then had to roll up a slight slope and drop through a hole. It could've been my cack-handedness but I found it really difficult using the conventional switch TV controller set up :blink:

That's the one I was trying to do.  Sitting at my desk flicking the console hard enough and at a weird angle to hit the ball hard enough was super frustrating.  I managed it though and in future I'll just be popping off the right joycon to do it that way instead.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Mipha has the worst VA I've heard in a game in a long time. No idea what they were going for with that. It sounds like someone reading timidly and quietly from a script and English isn't their first language so they have no idea where to put emphasis, so they end up putting emphasis on nothing. It's just this timid, mannered, emotionless squeak of an attempt at acting. 

Zelda is too breathy and her acting is kind of weak anyway. The Goron champion was ok but American and therefore wrong. The Rito Champion was ok. Not met the Gerudo one yet, there's been a general upward trend so maybe this one will qualify as actually good.

NOA, treat your flagship franchises to better voice acting. I refuse to believe this 'talent' was the best they could get for a game of this calibre. I've actually heard that some of the European dubs are really good and have well known actors so there's no excuse.

I just wish I had the option to change the VA to Japanese, that would be a massive improvement I feel. It's the one thing that sucks me out of this amazing world, every time they open their mouths. Thankfully due to my meandering play style and the nature of the game I can do whole sessions with hardly any voices spoiling it at all. But every time someone speaks I really think to myself 'you created a game this fucking amazing and then when it came to the voices just thought...yeah, that will do'. Anyway, not enough to spoil an absolutely amazing game but I'd be much happier if I could change those voices to another language.

57 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

What does completing the Divine Beasts actually do in real terms? Does it make Hyrule Castle easier, or give Ganon less health, or what?

They pew some of his health off pre-boss battle all I could see

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

What does completing the Divine Beasts actually do in real terms? Does it make Hyrule Castle easier, or give Ganon less health, or what?

Spoiler

Each beast hits him for a eighth of his health at the start, meaning they remove half of his health before the fight if you've done all four.

On my train today, I defeated my first Lynel, went up to see Rutu just to see, then spotted a shrine in the distance. Jumped off Rutu's bit towards the shrine and glided as far as my stamina bar would take me, which just happened to be EXACTLY over a sleeping Hinox. It's as though it was out there purely for folks doing the kind of thing I did.

battered him

THIS FUCKING GAME

BTW, I keep seeing that fox. I'm convinced now that it's a friendly spirit leading me places. I don't know if it is or not, but IN MY BRAIN IT IS

Finally unlocked the entire map when I got home from work. Final tower in Rito. My daughter just managed to get to Eventide Island - somewhere I'm yet to venture so she's spoiled that for me :mad:

Watching her fail was nice though as I get to do it - looks an awesome challenge and I've learnt to fight a little bit - still not great with the dodges but I can shield parry well and make good use of the environment and my brain (Bokoblins don't seem too bright).

Finally got my screenshots transferred over from the Switch! :D They're quite compressed JPEGs but, well, there's nothing I can do about that. Won't stop me using them as wallpapers!

These all include a moderate event spoiler:

zelda1.thumb.jpg.a9dafc793bab6c7fd290cada8d018d51.jpg

zelda2.thumb.jpg.e4017c9614527e0bc06f1f6b2a873ae4.jpg

zelda3.thumb.jpg.e09b3eca032a7f32fea0aea211605775.jpg

zelda4.thumb.jpg.9002a94552b8d7d9cc0bb1869139fdae.jpg

zelda5.thumb.jpg.9707e5963a854f62636a2a5ca2ba7300.jpg

These are a couple of cool screenshots I took from memory cut-scenes:

zelda6.thumb.jpg.733426784d5e526e1c56650087a0fbac.jpg

zelda7.thumb.jpg.a562dee868dc781167232eae4de3e2ae.jpg

1 hour ago, Spainkiller said:

Reason to check out this Twitter thread:

1) how to easily get on top of a sleeping Hinox

2) the best way to get to Eventide Island

3) BECAUSE SOMEONE GOT A GUARDIAN TO FIGHT A TALUS

I managed to get the Hinox one by myself but the other two is why I'm not cool enough to post in this thread.

I'm still massively behind you lot, so I'll go back to lurking and trying to avoid spoilers.

9 hours ago, Broker said:

I crossed the map from bottom left to top right corners on foot, minimal gliding and climbing, one invisible wall corner to the other :) 

When that Guardian in the maze started dishing out the hurt were you thinking, "Oh fuck, I'm gonna die and I've just wasted 38 minutes of my life"?