The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Shiiiiiit. No point in spending all that cash for them then I guess.

I like to keep an ancient bow to hand for those major monsters - and a few ancient arrows in case I encounter a Guardian and my shield-fu deserts me.

Anyhoo, I'm sneaking into Hyrule castle tonight, do a bit of a recce. Somebody hold me.

I found a little area halfway up a mountain that has loads of durian fruit and some hearty radishes. 

SORTED FOR TEH FOODS

This was also mentioned in the Polygon article, I've not been over to that side of the map yet though.  There's an apple orchard in the vicinity as well.

I don't have good timing 

:(

There is always a quest that's do-able. Where are you up to - you off the plateau? Spoken to Impa?

Im off the Plateau and have spoken to Impa.  I've got 2 shrines available up in the mountains but the cold kills me, one year of strength shrine which I don't have good enough weapons to cause decent damage, and the main quest - and I'm nowhere close to being able to defeat one of the 4 guardians.

Had a whale of a time exploring Akkala last night. Recommend a visit to the four tall islands off the coast, there's lots of nice ores plus a shrine, and the flying Guardians didn't give me any hassle. Also the labyrinth island was easier than expected, make sure you take a fire arrow or two though. 

Was a bit frustrated by one shrine, which was hidden behind a high-up wall that needed a bomb to break it. I noticed the wind blew towards it from across the canyon, so attached an octo-balloon to a bomb, but it kept coming in slightly too high and bursting on the rock above. In the end I just glided in to the rockface, let go and immediately let off a bomb. It hurt but it worked! :)

Im off the Plateau and have spoken to Impa.  I've got 2 shrines available up in the mountains but the cold kills me, one year of strength shrine which I don't have good enough weapons to cause decent damage, and the main quest - and I'm nowhere close to being able to defeat one of the 4 guardians.

For the cold - just eat/cook up some peppers, that'll deal with that.

For the quest, just pick one of the guardians to head for (may I suggest the one in the East :)) and adventure along the way. There is nothing special you need to do ahead of tackling the guardians - just explore on your way to them and you'll be all set in no time.

And you do have more than 2 shrines available to you - they are all over the place! Explore!

But is it even possible to survive anything but the introduction with only three hearts? I find that a lot of enemies one-shot me, especially the "haha you thought I was a traveler but I'm a demon ninja"-types. ^_^

I completed the first (Elephant) dungeon with 3 hearts and 1 extra stamina.

what do you mean?  

He means if you create a dish, that is the same as the other dish it takes up an extra slot as opposed to being dish x2. However, you can create the exact same dish with so many different variants (eg. +5 hearts vs +21 hearts) that each dish needs a slot to itself for information purposes. Besides, you can have an unlimited supply of them so don't see the issue with just filling more slots.

I cooked up some meals giving me cold resistance but I still lose hearts, doesn't seem to make any difference - unless I'm missing something stupidly obvious!

You need the warm doublet as well, as it's just too cold up on that mountain. However, you really don't need to go up there at this point (or ever), if you don't want to.

I cooked up some meals giving me cold resistance but I still lose hearts, doesn't seem to make any difference - unless I'm missing something stupidly obvious!

Stupid question - did you eat them before heading into the cold? Did you get a timer appear for your cold resistance?

Just head to any other Shrines, or any tower you can see. Head anywhere, but if you want some direction head East towards the quest marker....

I completed the first (Elephant) dungeon with 3 hearts and 1 extra stamina.

He means if you create a dish, that is the same as the other dish it takes up an extra slot as opposed to being dish x2. However, you can create the exact same dish with so many different variants (eg. +5 hearts vs +21 hearts) that each dish needs a slot to itself for information purposes. Besides, you can have an unlimited supply of them so don't see the issue with just filling more slots.

I didn't know you can run out of slots for food.  I've got tons of meals and haven't run out.

How did you guys play this in the early stages?  I'm very early on but seem to have no quest that's do-able, either because I'm currently way underpowered or don't have he right equipment to get to certain places.

i know I'm in the minority but the lack of any handholding whatsoever is causing me issues.

Who needs quests?  Just explore.  Look for shrines,  climb towers,  collect ingredients & cook.  I think I'm 65 hours in and haven't done the dungeon beasts yet.  I've not even done all the towers.

What it is not limited inventory like for weapons? Does that go for the ingredients too? So I have been micro managing my inventory to no use? :blush:

Stupid question - did you eat them before heading into the cold? Did you get a timer appear for your cold resistance?

I think I ate them whilst in the cold - a timer did appear but didn't seem to make any difference.

Looking at people's response I think I'll head to the east, and adventure randomly.

I think I ate them whilst in the cold - a timer did appear but didn't seem to make any difference.

Looking at people's response I think I'll head to the east, and adventure randomly.

Honestly, if you just pick one of the locations that Impa gave you and head that way, you'll be fine - you won't actually make it there for hours. You'll 100% get distracted on the way by something.

I tried traversing that area with a warm-resist meal but I was still losing health so I scoffed some food on the journey to keep my health up and then went somewhere else. I forgot I had the warm doublet.

You can't...I didn't mean to imply that. (But don't know how I did...)

I've been prevented from cooking up a new meal/potion before now, being told I can't carry any more meals.

So you don't run out of slots for ingredients, but prepared meals, I think you can. Unless there's something else going on here. This is on WiiU, not switch, but I can't see that being any different between the two.

I've ran out of slots for prepared food (on the Switch), you get 3 pages of it (5x4 on each page, so 60 meals in total).

It says basically "you can't hold any more meals" but at least it tells you before you cook it!

The ingredients themselves I've not run into any space issues, and I'm on my 5th page of those.

Ok, so there is a limit on the amount of food you can have, I knew there would obviously be a limit because you can only fit so many dots under the icon but thought it might be more. My question would be, why have you all got such a big stockpile of food? You don't need that much. I generally only have the one page of food, use what I need then cook up more when I come across a pot. I only now have 3 pages because I decided to cook as much shit as I could be arsed to, rather than any need. Surely you can't need more than 60 food items!

In saying that, I have only used heat/cold resistance food, health and extra heart foods. Heat/cold food is no longer required so I just eat for sustenance! Extra stamina, speed, attack, defence, electric resistance, etc. I've never used and therefore never cook. :mellow:

I went exploring initially and it took me ages to find cooking pots out in the wild the route I randomly decided to go on, so I just kept cooking meals when I got the chance and managed to avoid using too many of them I think.

Like somebody else (I forget who) I pretty much unlocked all of the map as one of the first things I did. Still finding new stuff though, because you kind of just aim as fast as you can for the towers (well, I did)

It's a bit of a pain because it means I've got absolutely tons of cold resistant food, but no heat resistant or stamina raising food and no slots, obviously. I guess I could sell a lot of the meals though and make some cash to buy stuff.

With only two upgrades!?!

Madness! 

I've maxed out now and still can't climb everything. Then again i do like to rush climb :)

Me too - the erotic noises that Link makes when he's running out of puff are a bit disconcerting.

It seems like there's a bit of confusion about temperatures and heat/cold resistant elixirs and meals.

With temperatures there are two different levels of heat and two different levels of cold. The snow area in the Plateau is level one for example, while some of the snowy areas in the rest of the map are level two. It broadly depends on how high up you get I think. You can check using the temperature gauge, but also if Link is still shivering or drowsy on the inventory screen or losing health you can figure it out easy enough.

Similarly, you can cook stuff which has either low or high level temperature resistance. If you eat low level resistant food but go into a cold area which is level 2 then you'll continue to lose health. However, you can supplement the low level food by putting on a single piece of temperature resistant armour. If you want to go into the level 2 areas without worrying about food at all you will need 2 pieces of the relevant temperature resistant armour. Or you can cook a high level temperature meal and continue to wear normal clothes.

I've probably made that sound more complicated than it really is to be honest :lol: