IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Currently on 114 Shrines, & the Quest list tells me that I've completed all but 2 of the Shrine Quests.

So, somewhere in this vast world of Hyrule there are 2 hidden Shrines that i need to do something to reveal, & 4 just sitting out in the open, right?

Just now, nightwaxon said:

Ok. I'm a luddite. What is a ragdoll in the context being discussed in this thread?

When a character model goes limp, like a puppet with its strings cut. It's the difference between a character moving according to a pre-defined animation, and letting the physics engine take over and determine where all the limbs should go in relation to the environment. Makes for believable falls and stuff.

Here's another impressive achievement. If you've been up Ridgeland Tower, you may have met the chap at the top who runs a gliding minigame, where you see how long you can glide for. A Japanese player managed over 7.6Km of distance in a 22-minute flight which took him all the way to Eventide Island. The secret is lots of bomb arrows and as many stamina elixirs as you can carry. Spoilered for full map reveal.

Spoiler

Slow day at work yesterday and was itching to play some Zelda, ended up googling a few things I was curious about. Have to stop this, already learned too much! Although it has given me a bunch more awesome things to do. 

That said I don't regret looking up locations of the Zora monuments, that's not the world's most exciting quest. 

12 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Everything I've read about elixirs so far points to increasing/mixing up the critters and combining with just one monster part for increased duration or better resistance. I really wanna confirm this. 

You can't (as far as I can see) mix up critters as much as regular food, simply because there are fewer of them. Adding more critters definitely helps, more monster parts doesn't seem to have much effect. Having said that, my daughter mixed two identical potions the other night, and one had twice the duration - there wasn't a blood moon or anything like that, so it seemed random. We checked the ingredients for both - exactly the same, but one was 5 minutes and one was 10. No idea what was going on there, some kind of potion-making critical hit?

I had what I'm coming to consider a classic BotW moment last night - a side quest that seemed to be jinxed by bad weather, making the intended task very frustrating and ultimately leading to failure due to an unsuccessful workaround, shortly followed by the realisation that I'd overlooked a very simple option and any fault lay entirely with my own lack of lateral thinking, rather than with the game. It's really quite annoying, not being able to blame the game.

47 minutes ago, revlob said:

Here's another impressive achievement. If you've been up Ridgeland Tower, you may have met the chap at the top who runs a gliding minigame, where you see how long you can glide for. A Japanese player managed over 7.6Km of distance in a 22-minute flight which took him all the way to Eventide Island. The secret is lots of bomb arrows and as many stamina elixirs as you can carry. Spoilered for full map reveal.

Hide contents

It's kind of crazy that the game allows you to do that at all in a minigame which will end for most players in about a minute.

100 rupees for all that though :lol:

I must've spent about 90 minutes last night just shield surfing up in the Hebra mountains.

Are there any tricks to going faster?   I can't seem to get anything other than an 'average' time for the beginners slope, although I battered the record for the advanced slope.  Gliding instead of sliding actually slows you down.

Found some amazing hidden shrines yesterday.  I think Rito village has been my favourite location so far... 90 hours in, still got a map section to unlock and still haven't been down to the Gerudo's yet.

I had a similar little moment like that, where I doubted the game for a second. It was a Korok puzzle near South Akkala stables I think:

It's on a rocky hill. You step on the tree stump and a circle of lights appear for you to glide through. Except I couldn't get enough height. So I thought "A-ha! Updraft! I'll start a fire". So I tried it, and first the logs rolled off the hill, so I had to keep re-positioning it, and then when I lit the fire it started raining. Then I got it lit, but no updraft, so I gave up and ran off. Then I thought, hang on, maybe I need a bigger fire, so I piled about 5 more logs on to start a roaring blaze and lo and behold, an updraft! 

63 Koroks down, 837 to go!

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

Are there any tricks to going faster?   I can't seem to get anything other than an 'average' time for the beginners slope, although I battered the record for the advanced slope.  

I was the same. Kept getting told average for beginners and then found the advanced a piece of piss to win.

I dunno, I just ended up assuming that you never get told better than average for the beginners course.

Last night I did my first moderate test of strength. Good fun, stuff is telegraphed yet I'm still utterly awful at anticipating anything. Seemed to be building up to something when it was near death that sounded ominous, but I ran in and destroyed it before it did whatever it was. Can I do this one again after a blood moon? It'd be good for much needed practice. 

Then the nearest shrine after that turned out to be a major test of strength. This was a lot tougher but alright 'til the end, when they go rapidly mental - how are you supposed to counter that? I got blown to shit by the three blast volleys and was lucky to have a few fairies after my next ploy of hiding behind a column shielded me from precisely the first blast of a volley before the rest pummelled me again, then I just managed to avoid the next lot by running and started time locking it and belting it round the head with my strongest weapon which just about worked. Is there a better way of doing it (couldn't even tell when I was supposed to parry, if that's the solution, given how fast that bit came on) or is it supposed to be an exercise in terror? Got some very strong weapons from it to replace everything I broke on it at least 

12 hours ago, revlob said:

If you try to board him:

Hide contents

The guy at the stable freaks out and refuses, says he doesn't want to get cursed. :(

Spoiler

Has anyone tried putting an arrow in him yet? I think those antlers would look great above my bed...

17 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Last night I did my first moderate test of strength. Good fun, stuff is telegraphed yet I'm still utterly awful at anticipating anything. Seemed to be building up to something when it was near death that sounded ominous, but I ran in and destroyed it before it did whatever it was. Can I do this one again after a blood moon? It'd be good for much needed practice. 

Then the nearest shrine after that turned out to be a major test of strength. This was a lot tougher but alright 'til the end, when they go rapidly mental - how are you supposed to counter that? I got blown to shit by the three blast volleys and was lucky to have a few fairies after my next ploy of hiding behind a column shielded me from precisely the first blast of a volley before the rest pummelled me again, then I just managed to avoid the next lot by running and started time locking it and belting it round the head with my strongest weapon which just about worked. Is there a better way of doing it (couldn't even tell when I was supposed to parry, if that's the solution, given how fast that bit came on) or is it supposed to be an exercise in terror? Got some very strong weapons from it to replace everything I broke on it at least 

I did a major test yesterday with no columns... absolutely battered the thing, and I didn't have anything that would be considered particularly strong weaponwise... a Knights Claymore being the most powerful weapon I had.  My tips

run up, keep your shield up and flurry attack when you can at the start.

when it retreats to do a spin attack... bolt like fuck.  A well timed side dodge can get you a flurry attack, but it's hard to pull off.

repeat this until it goes into circle beam mode, my favourite bit.  

run out of range and when the air starts to rise from the heat, jump in and paraglide up then rain slow-mo bomb arrows on the motherfucker.

the final phase of big beams is pretty easy, just run in circles around the thing until it's fired all its shots and then get torn in with your weapon.  

job done.

15 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I would imagine that's because he was charging the Iphone, thus plugged into the mains in the house allowing an unlimited amount of energy through the cable and into the water.

I may be wrong but I would imagine all you could manage to do if you dropped the joycons or the Switch into the bath would be to kill them and not yourself,the current would not be high enough to kill, you might get a little shock before the switch shorts out. You could always prop the switch up on the side and use the joy cons in the bath but you risk water damage then ^_^ I would definately advise against testing this though ^_^ As there could always be a freak incident.

1 minute ago, Luseth said:

I would imagine that's because he was charging the Iphone, thus plugged into the mains in the house allowing an unlimited amount of energy through the cable and into the water.

I may be wrong but I would imagine all you could manage to do if you dropped the joycons or the Switch into the bath would be to kill them and not yourself,the current would not be high enough to kill, you might get a little shock before the switch shorts out. You could always prop the switch up on the side and use the joy cons in the bath but you risk water damage then ^_^ I would definately advise against testing this though ^_^ As there could always be a freak incident.

I was only joking...

1 hour ago, revlob said:

Reveal hidden contents

Having managed 600m, that is impressive.

I had a thought. The whole of Hyrule is so sparsely populated, the death toll from Ganon actually winning would be minimal anyway. Why fight it? Just let him destroy everything.

54 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I must've spent about 90 minutes last night just shield surfing up in the Hebra mountains.

Are there any tricks to going faster?   I can't seem to get anything other than an 'average' time for the beginners slope, although I battered the record for the advanced slope.  Gliding instead of sliding actually slows you down.

Only done it a couple of times m'self, but I found the following (you probably did as well, but just in case)...

Push forward to crouch; you seem to go faster then.

Press X once to jump/get air - not sure if you go any faster, but if you accidentally deploy the 'chute you will go slower. At the least, you might get better times over bumpy terrain/moguls.

Look for alternative routes - there are at least two ways down on that initial course; I dunno if either is faster, but you can also cross over by jumping at the right point between them. So I reckon there's a chance of a sneaky shortcut or two.

Also change your shield - first shield I had she said was terrible; then I showed up with a Gerudo shield and she said it was sweet and that the Gerudo built their shields for surfing. I didn't do any better that time, but that's because I cocked up the route and hit some rocks.

41 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I did a major test yesterday with no columns... absolutely battered the thing, and I didn't have anything that would be considered particularly strong weaponwise... a Knights Claymore being the most powerful weapon I had.  My tips

Hide contents

when it retreats to do a spin attack... bolt like fuck.  A well timed side dodge can get you a flurry attack, but it's hard to pull off.

For the spin attack, some of the major tests have metal blocks in the floor which you can pull up with magnesis, the wee guardian will smash into them and you can give them a battering while they are stunned. Stasis also works.

I have a bad habit of completely forgetting about the 'obvious' power and ending up with some ridiculous solution, like attaching balloons and using a leaf to blow a ball 10 yards over some water instead of using the ice block things.

Only 4 shrines left, I might just look at a map as I've ran out of obvious gaps in the map where I don't think I've been.

The quest in the ruins north of Korok forest is very cool and super atmospheric. At the risk of repeating myself, it's amazing how often heading on a whim to somewhere with a name on the map is rewarded with something completely unique. 

Van Medoh is down; nice & straight forward, little bit easier than Ruta. 

Not it that I'm complaining, there's far too much to do to be stuck in one place for too long. I think the beasts so far have been perfectly pitched, although the boss fights could be a little more challenging I guess. 

The hardest fights in the game are the ones that involve multiple normal enemies, any of the single large creatures are generally alright.