IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

5 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Lost Woods

Hide contents

Lighting a torch and following the direction the embers flow is how I did it.

I thought it was a nice hommage to the Ocarina of Time version of the woods where you had to go by ear. I started off by listening for increasing/decreasing volume in the music but quickly found out those fluctuations were not indicative of the route 

:)

With the Korok Trials, I had trouble with the 'Hungry Trees' one because I couldn't see properly through the mists (didn't think of Magnesis :rolleyes:) & with the 'follow' one I let him get so far ahead I thought i'd lost him.  The game obviously didn't agree though, as the test didn't fail, I caught up with him at the Shrine.

With the Wooden weapons one, I just used bombs for most of it, & the weapons themselves as a last resort.

Presumably the follow trial is just to help you find your way. I guess you can take as long as you want. I failed it at least once by losing the camouflaged dick in the foliage, panicking, then practically stepping on the fucker in my haste to catch up.

The tree one was easy once you sussed the trick (I felt super clever about that).

The wood one took me a few attempts but I'm not sure why. I know I got electrocuted and dropped my sword. Others times I think I was trying to be clever and the mist got me.

I never really worked out a clever way to find Korok Forest in the first place. After about 20 minutes feeling my way around I ended up just legging it and it happened to be the right way.

38 minutes ago, Pob said:

I had the archetypal Zelda evening last night. Spoilers for stuff in the north-western part of the map:

From your rewards, it sounds like you missed the

Korok seed in there, too. I pointed it out as a particularly sneaky one as I nearly missed and thought 'what if...'

It's behind the head of the statue at the back of the temple; you have to climb up her to get to it.

Oh, and did you climb out before finding the

Goron Golf course at the other end of the canyon?  I did - didn't spot it until I explored the canyon more fully.

The first bit of the lost wood with the torches was subtle and took me a while to stumble on. The first trial after that was a 'real' (rather than prize) shrine wasn't it that from memory doesn't stand out as hard? The follow the iron trees one seemed blinking obvious to me (there was a massive clue from the Kurok at the start) and the wood trial no more finigally than some of the running fights I get in all of the time. It's been a bit of a damp squib though all the same as I'm not yet 'hearty' enough to get the full job finished :(

14 minutes ago, Jarik said:

With the Korok Trials, I had trouble with the 'Hungry Trees' one because I couldn't see properly through the mists (didn't think of Magnesis :rolleyes:) & with the 'follow' one I let him get so far ahead I thought i'd lost him.  The game obviously didn't agree though, as the test didn't fail, I caught up with him at the Shrine.

Has anyone taken a picture of a Korok and added it to the Compendium? Because that might help with this challenge, then...

44 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

If you don't have fire arrows on you for the updraft, how do you traverse the mud? Climbing and then gliding from creepy tree to creepy tree like some sort of demented sugar glider?

that's what I did.

54 minutes ago, Pob said:

I had the archetypal Zelda evening last night. Spoilers for stuff in the north-western part of the map:

Hide contents

I ascended the tower near the snowy peaks and picked a shrine to parachute off to. As was sailing over a seemingly bottomless canyon, I noticed the dragon Dinraal was doing his rounds. I need a scale from him! I'd read in the thread you get that by shooting him with an arrow, so I decided to abandon my shrine trip. Dinraal flew right beneath me so I launched a slo-mo arrow, and the scale twinkled off deep into the canyon below. As far as I knew the canyon really was bottomless, as it was shrouded in mist. But no, I reached the ground and retrieved the scale after fighting off some beasts who were hanging out nearby. With my plan for the evening well-and-truly scuppered by yawning canyon walls stretching up either side me, I looked around. What's this? A foreboding temple build into the walls! A big climb up to the entrance later and I get inside to find it full of immobilised yet active guardians, a bunch of whom target me the second I step inside. So I spend the next 20 minutes working my way around to tackle one at a time using Spainkiller's patented technique. My reward is a hidden shrine and some chests. After that, I exit the Forgotten Temple and trek the length of the canyon, jacking a bokoblin's horse en route to speed things up. Eventually I decide I need to get out so I climb an absolutely enormous windmill and clamber out near another unexplored tower.

Whew!

and you know what... you missed something.... ;) - actually...

edit

you didn't, as you found the shrine.

51 minutes ago, Pob said:

I only found the stealth one annoying. And it was made extra annoying because I snuck into the shrine instead of talking to the korok at the end, which meant when I got lost in the mist on the way out I had to do it all again!

I did exactly that too - figured the final part of the challenge was to sneak round his stupid arse and get into the shrine. When it became clear I should've spoken to him it was about the only time the game's really annoyed me.

Giant ancient coooore....

/Homer

Would people recommend an Ancient Shield being a solid investment? I'm not going to be able to grind my way to more than a couple of bits from the lab, but thought this should be a good choice especially regarding guardians?

Also, was there always a trombone in the Tarrey Town music, or is that only since I sent some help :D great touch if so. 

Yesterday I decided just to explore the east coast of the map... Jeez.  That's 6 hours now just in that area.  Found shrines, loads of koroks and some great environmental puzzles.  Beat a Lynnel (YAS) and just had the best time... 

I'm 110 hours into the game now... and I still haven't been to the western or southwestern most parts of the map and I've still got one final tower to get.  

What a game.

5 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Giant ancient coooore....

/Homer

Would people recommend an Ancient Shield being a solid investment? I'm not going to be able to grind my way to more than a couple of bits from the lab, but thought this should be a good choice especially regarding guardians?

It gives you 12 (or so) 'free' reflects of a Guardian Laser (just hold up the shield, no need to press A) but then it will break, so its up to you whether its worth that rather than learning the tricky (but satisfying!) art of shield-countering.

Just now, Jarik said:

It gives you 12 (or so) 'free' reflects of a Guardian Laser (just hold up the shield, no need to press A) but then it will break, so its up to you whether its worth that rather than learning the tricky (but satisfying!) art of shield-countering.

Oh I still plan to do the deflect thing. I just thought it didn't break, either as easily or at all. 

1 minute ago, NexivRed said:

Oh I still plan to do the deflect thing. I just thought it didn't break, either as easily or at all. 

That yes.  It appears to sacrifice it's Durability to do the 'reflect' thing, but if you don't do that then it will last quite a while.  Not indefinitely, unfortunately.  No Shield is like that, it's just the more powerful ones last longer.

4 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Yeah, I much prefer to use the weakest shields I have (pot lids, boko shields) for parrying guardians, that way it's not much of a waste when they break.

it also provides LOLMAX when you take out a guardian with a pot lid

You know, thinking about it, it would have made more sense if Ganon had put some kind of curse on all the weapons in the land, rather than them all apparently being made out of balsa wood or something.

5 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

I tackled the Camel beast this morning.  I got stuck for ages trying to get up to the second floor area after trying one technique only to think of another easier way to do the same thing about 20 minutes later.  The boss is annoying me now, I had to suicide myself in the end as I needed to get to work and we were at a stalemate:

Reveal hidden contents

I was at the second phase where he's dropping metal columns and sending lightning everywhere.  I must have run around trying to hit him with arrows for about 5 minutes.  I then tried throwing my sword at him (can you throw the master sword?) all while the stupid Gerudo woman was banging on about harnessing the lightning and if only I had something metal but as soon as I do I get shocked and drop all my shit (THE most annoying mechanic in the entire game btw).

Had another pop at this at lunch...

Spoiler

Holy shit he went down like a sack of spuds!  He hit me twice in the 1st phase before starting the lightning bit.  I got one lightning strike on him and killed him while he lay on the ground.  

58 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Yeah, I got one and it lasted ages - only used it against Guardians, but there it gives you a chance of reflecting if you miss your shield parry window - and if you've got two or more facing you with the lasers on your shield side, you can deflect without leaving yourself open to attacks (parrying one leaves you open to the other). Also, if you don't have a pot lid or other crap shield to hand, losing a better one to a Guardian mis-parry is a real bummer.

These Guardian shields can take the punishment - so do use cheap crap shields first if you have 'em, but switch to one of these when you've burned those out, and not your Royal Shield +10 or whatever.

Mine's on its last legs, so I'm going to go get another one.

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Thing is I just know that I'll sell a load of stuff to pay her and then I won't be able to upgrade anyway because what I sold was what I will need for the upgrade. :(

Just farm a bunch of Stone Talus'. You will get enough to pay off the last fairy in no time.