The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

48 minutes ago, smac said:

Just the two? I ended up heading back to a third location I overheard in a bar, but it was something I had already done when pootling about near the coast, so wasn't sure if it counted or not.

I think I'd done that one already by the time I got there. Keep on going round the town until you've found all the people with little exclamation marks next to their heads. Once you've done all of them, return to the chief girl and she'll have one next to her head, then she'll give you the helm.

Yeah, I suspect many people will have stumbled over that one; the feature is obvious on the map, and calls back to a similar feature near Hatareno.

But I think the women in the bar had started to discuss the matter before I went to the chief, so it might not be one of the problems she means.

14 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Either that, or it's a flipping massive Octorok. Run!!!

Does look like one of those 'roks with a fake treasure chest sitting on its head.

Be careful because those buggers can really move.

Oh, I also did the big sand worm from the trailer this morning. 

Spoiler

It wasn't quite as epic as the trailer made it look as rather than surfing around on my shield to fight it I stood on a rock pillar and chucked a bomb out which stunned the worm while I bashed the crap out of it. Repeat three times and there are worm guts everywhere.

So, my super slow playthrough is going really well.

Firstly, no fast travel is amazing. It completely changes the way you view the world, and makes for totally different priorities. Before I was just warping to the closest high point and gliding towards my target, where now I'm learning the actual layout of the land. I'm learning which direct routes over mountains are actually not shortcuts because the road would've taken you around something awkward. Cresting the same hill and knowing what's on the other side is lovely, and there's been a few surprises. 

Having finally dropped off the Plateau for the first time, I discovered that I didn't have enough stamina to climb back up. That meant that until I had a few more shrines done there was no option to return. I'm learning the road and lands between there and the stable on the far side of dueling peaks really well, finding koroks and shrines along the way.

I'm up to 17 shrines, 58 koroks, no dungeons, only two towers activated :)

At this rate, I'll never get round to beating Ganon. There are far too many other fun things to do:

58ebae881d995_bearnecessities.thumb.jpg.c32cdd57c1f17ba7d7e93ac151ecd4e3.jpg

The Dark Link armour is just so much fun, I love how townspeople react to it. Bolson literally squealed, and the face of any Goron who sees it is priceless. When you ride into town and you're not only wearing that armour but also on a bear, people genuinely lose their minds!

I have, however, decided that it's past time that Ganon went down. To date, I've barely been anywhere near Hyrule Castle, but once I have the remaining 3 memories, or perhaps just 2 of them as 1 is apparently in the Castle itself, then I'll face the big guy. This has led to what I think is the only flaw with the game, in that the glow for the location of memories needs to trigger from slightly farther away. I found my most recent 1 only because I saw an obvious Korok Seed location while looking for it, I'd actually been up in that specific area a bit earlier, but clearly hadn't quite gotten close enough to it. Considering that 2 of the remaining 3 are a tree on a field and a bit of a forest, I don't really hold much hope of finding them without resorting to a spot of internet-fu.

I'm never gonna finish this game.  For a start I'm playing Nier and Persona 5 at the same time which doesn't help!

Played nearly 30 hours, found about six or so shrines - find myself wandering about to see what's coming up around the next corner! (It's never a bloody shrine though!).

I think I'll give this one last go, if only because I feel the need to justify my hardware purchase.

I'm going to attempt the first dungeon, the mecha-elephant thing. What do I need in order to finish it, in terms of skills and weapons? I currently have just five hearts, a random selection of weapons and shields, and the waterfall-climbing tunic - will this be enough?

2 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I think I'll give this one last go, if only because I feel the need to justify my hardware purchase.

I'm going to attempt the first dungeon, the mecha-elephant thing. What do I need in order to finish it, in terms of skills and weapons? I currently have just five hearts, a random selection of weapons and shields, and the waterfall-climbing tunic - will this be enough?

Cook some food, primarily for the hearts, secondary for defence. Get as many arrows as you can. You have all the skills you need to complete it.

6 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Don't do that one, do the bird instead. Also, it doesn't matter how many hearts you have, all you need to do is cook up some hearty meals ;)

7 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Can you easily miss that armour or is their a trail of bread crumbs leading to it? 

I guess you can miss it but plenty of people will be talking about where/who to get it from along the way.

53 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Do some side quests (do all of them) for the Zora first. You'll get really tooled up and it might spark some interest in the self-adventure of the game.

7 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Do some side quests (do all of them) for the Zora first. You'll get really tooled up and it might spark some interest in the self-adventure of the game.

How do I go about this? Return to the village where the Zora hang out? I remember there being an inactive shrine back there.

2 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

How do I go about this? Return to the village where the Zora hang out? I remember there being an inactive shrine back there.

Yeah, do the shrine first of course and then you can return there after you complete anything local and hand in. Just speak to as many NPCs as you can find with the '?' beside them. You'll pick up some interesting gear along the way.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I'm going to attempt the first dungeon, the mecha-elephant thing. What do I need in order to finish it, in terms of skills and weapons? 

Nothing.

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Master Sword -

Hide contents

So after major questing today I finally got enough shrines to grab this beauty and..... it's a bit shit for damage :lol: 30! I had a knights broadsword with 36.

Spoiler

Just you wait till you're in the right situation...

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Master Sword -

Hide contents

So after major questing today I finally got enough shrines to grab this beauty and..... it's a bit shit for damage :lol: 30! I had a knights broadsword with 36.

I thought it was a bit of a let down too, but then it seems to be a lot more durable than the other broadswords you pick up, and it

Spoiler

recharges, so you're only ever without it for about five minutes at a time.