The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Is there any other way to advance time apart from just sitting by a fire, like if you want to wait until a specific hour of the day, for example? There's a couple of time specific quests where you literally just have to sit there and wait.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Is there any other way to advance time apart from just sitting by a fire, like if you want to wait until a specific hour of the day, for example? There's a couple of time specific quests where you literally just have to sit there and wait.

Sleep at an inn. It won't be exact but you can choose a rough time of day if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Make sure you carry flint and wood for any fire building on the fly.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Only thing I can suggest is go off and do something else, until you're about the right time to travel to where you need to be.

But I invariably underestimate travel time.

On the other hand, the time-specific quests usually involve shadows being cast, and I find they're quite generous with the time period - the pedestals don't just activate exactly at the time, but a fair bit before.

I'm not far off - I have one side quest and one shrine quest left undone, although I think I'm missing a couple of each judging from hints in here.

23 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Reveal hidden contents

Have a go at parrying with the shield next time instead. The animation isn't as long as the back flip, so you should be able to get it. As soon as he goes into his quick zoom attack mode, make sure you've got L pressed down to have your shield raised, then press A when you think he's about to hit you. Like I said earlier, he tends to zoom to one spot, pause, and then zoom in front of you before quickly attacking, so that's when you want to hit A.

Spoiler

Just beat him! Couldn't believe how easy it was with the Master Sword. Just stood no chance and now I only have the Death Mountain boss to go!

36 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Found a shrine inside a large wooded area that's shrouded in darkness. What's all that about? I've done the shrine and beat the big fella and was expecting the area to brighten up, but it's still pitch black, apart from the odd lit torch. 

I carried a bomb around as a light, genius I thought until i remembered fire :doh:

39 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Found a shrine inside a large wooded area that's shrouded in darkness. What's all that about? I've done the shrine and beat the big fella and was expecting the area to brighten up, but it's still pitch black, apart from the odd lit torch. 

Yeah, I didn't like that either. Aside from shrines it's pretty much the only loading point that takes you out of the open worldness.

I'm currently on 104 shrines, although I haven't gone to the central area yet. I've spent about six hours over the last two days retracing my steps from The Great Plateau across most of the eastern part of the map, hunting for shrines. I'll spend the next two nights going back over the western half. I've only found a couple of shrines on the way, but it's been glorious just walking or riding my horse everywhere and using fast travel as little as possible. I've come across areas I haven't encountered in about seventy in-game hours and the feeling you get when you suddenly recognise where you are is uncanny, like driving through a town you haven't visited in years. It's amazing. I don't think I've ever played a game where you're invited to really plan your route and pay attention to where you're going to this extent. It makes the GPS trail-type way finding of The Witcher 3 and GTA V (two games I love) seem old-fashioned and restrictive by comparison. Other developers need to take note of what Nintendo have done here.

The best game.

8 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

I did the Goron beast tonight.  I kinda accidentally started it within minutes of arriving in town, or thats what it felt like anyway. 

I feel like we have been on a very similar pace since starting the game. How many hours in are you?

51 minutes ago, Hellcock said:

I feel like we have been on a very similar pace since starting the game. How many hours in are you?

Oh man, I just checked. 80 hours or more...

Im really stumped my the Gerudo tower shrine. I've hit the pad with an arrow while it was lit up, I've glided to it and lands on it when lit up, I think I even did the weapon smash thing on it when lit up but still nothing happens. :(

Thanks for the tips, found the road and am now all Goron'd up.

Funny moment last night as I'd warped back to the woodland tower for a paraglide to nearer Death Mountain.

The view from there was spectacular so I climbed onto one of the high parapets just to soak in the morning light as it spread across the misty plains of Hyrule and took a moment to drink some beer. Above the sound of the wind I heard a low rumble. I thought maybe it was around my actual house but no, it was an ingame storm approaching and with it the rain. 

At at that moment there's a knock at the front door and I have to get up to let my wife in. Better leaving Link in the rain rather than my mrs out in the cold. As we both came back into the dark room there's is an almighty thunder strike and the room lights up in bright green and Link slowly slumps then pitches forward face first off the top of the tower with me shouting 'nooooooo!! #hadtobethere

Killed my first Lynel! 8-)

I'd like to say it was just like in those videos of people killing them with tree branches but I basically just out healed him with food.  Really struggled to get up on my glider when he did the fire attack, only managed it once or twice so need to get some more practise in.

I have three towers left to unlock so I think it's time to do some more exploring before I go get the last beast.  It feels like ages since my shrine detector went off last so hopefully the new areas will be ripe with puzzles to unlock.

Last night I bought the full set of

Spoiler

Dark Link armour

from Kilton, which looks damn cool, but I was irritated to find out that you can't upgrade it, meaning that defensively it's useless. I was going to dye it green and try to convince everyone that I'd found Link's original get up, but you can dye it either!

10 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Get all the shrines! 

I'm on 114 with almost 150 hours on the clock. 

Its one of the greatest videogames I've ever played. 

Already got all the shrines. I think I have all the armor sets, have upgraded the most useful ones and have done all the sidequests. Other than finding more korok seeds I think I've rinsed it :(

I did the Yiggi bit and the boss was brilliant... decided to take the long way home and found a shrine and then, on my way down, I saw Farosh appear. I was pretty high up, so a Rivali's gale and a few arrows later and a scale fell... right down to the bottom of the canyon north of Gerudo mountains! Ouch. Oh well... so I glided all the way down to get it and started working my way back. Found an AMAZING shrine that was properly big inside (a wind control one) and had some epic battles on the way then stumbled across an enormous statue called the Eighth Heroine. Climbed up it but nothing doing... marked it on my map and headed on my way, straight into a sandstorm but followed the direction a statue was pointing in and stumbled across another shrine... finished that, sneaked up on a sand seal and rode it all the way back to Gerudo town.

I can't see any game bettering this for a long time... I hope they keep adding tonit with DLC until the next big Zelda.

OK, so what's the deal with electric-resistant elixirs, food, etc, if when I take one I still get zapped to hell by those floating, prancing bastards who throw electric balls at you?

I was trying to approach a tower that's surrounded by water, guarded by a few of those floaty prancers, and Lizfaldos (henceforth known as Nick Faldos) carrying thunderbolt staffs swimming around. I had a mid-level elixir, so necked that and (literally) waded in, but was constantly getting zapped by all involved, dropping my weapons, etc. It was only through a war of attrition (and consuming lots of food) that I managed to kill a couple and get to the tower.

What gives, man?

4 hours ago, polygon_monkey said:

Already got all the shrines. I think I have all the armor sets, have upgraded the most useful ones and have done all the sidequests. Other than finding more korok seeds I think I've rinsed it :(

I'm coming to the end now, may have about 20 hrs left I'd guess. I have almost 100 shrines, most of the armour and most of it is fully upgraded. Done all the memories apart from 1. 

Once I hit 100 shrines I will kill Ganon, then mop up the other shrines and armour, kill him again to see if there is an alternate ending and finally put the game to bed. Can't be arsed with all the side quests.