IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Yeah, I realise that stuff was already in place on A Link to the Past and Ocarina to a certain extent. For example the Tri-Force and the All Seeing Eye that's on the dollar bill. But at the time I played them, I had no idea what the imagery and symbolism actually meant! I guess it's the same for 99% of people now. But knowing all about Occult Sigils and stuff now, it's a little bit freaky! Especially with how often you're seeing the One Eye symbol in this game and with little touches thrown in like Link closing his right eye too. Got no idea if this stuff was in the original Zelda though and if it was, the design decisions that led to that kind of imagery being used. Like I say, something I'm interested in, not only from the spiritual/Occult side of things but also from the side of the game designers and the vision they were trying to create. I mean, it's pretty clear Nintendo know what this stuff means!

Same for Mario really! I was always more into Sonic. But now looking back, there's a fair bit of the One Eye stuff in Mario too. If you take a look at my avatar, that's an Occult all seeing eye symbol, actually I think it might have some link to Islam too. It's basically supposed to be used to ward off evil spirits as a form of protection. Maybe you can remember David Blaine using it when he did that daft interview on morning TV in the U.K? He was acting all monged, as if he'd been on the special fags and had drawn an eye on the palm of his hand that he flashed up for a bit of attention. No doubt done for publicity on that occasion.

But that exact image was used in Mario 64 too which is a bit, well odd. The hands with eyes in their palms were one of the enemies. Again, a pretty odd design decision for a video game, which essentially in those days were mainly being aimed at kids! 

Thing is though, the symbolism wasn't exactly widespread then and it certainly wasn't being used by governments and people in power all the time. For example look at any of the Olympic opening ceremonies and it's pretty mental! Like I say the 2012 one was especially nuts. Erected a tower outside the stadium that was based on and also to represent the Tower of Babel....as ya do! There was no end of symbology and references to Babylon and Nimrod too......obviously, it was the Olympics after all! The all seeing eye was used.....made perfect sense! There was pyramid symbology all over the shop.....and why not! Masonic images. The Phoenix  rising from the flames symbology......well Chariots of Fire that one! And even the mascots were two characters that only had one eye and had no relation to sport or athletics in any way, shape or form.......at all! When you then see big ceremonies at Ground Zero based around this stuff you have to start questioning what the fuck is actually going on. Musicians and celebs flashing it up for publicity is one p, just as say Sabbath or Maiden throwing up the devil horns back in the day, but it being prominent in stuff like that is on a whole other level! 

I just find find it a little bit odd, why a company would choose to use such Occult imagery, with VERY dark meanings, pretty much constantly, on a game that will be played by millions of youngsters, especially considering the above stuff. Again, aware I sound fully mental saying this but, if people do approach the topic with an open mind then, there's solid evidence that supports something very odd going on in the world these days! Again, must point out, definitely not a mentalist! :)

I do like the way you're shown these symbols and the use of orange to denote evil/bad yet you can basically walk about in a suit that has that symbol on it and one made up out of the very creations that destroyed the world. Further more you can become the monsters and commune with them. Characters unaware of the evil that orange represents (we must turn all orange to blue - well, except Terry's Choclate Orange, they alright) protect ancient orange balls and I even found one rubbing it in a very unsettling way. I think that this game's blurring of the lines between good and bad is part of its huge success. It approaches these concepts in the same playful manner as everything else. 

22 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I do like the way you're shown these symbols and the use of orange to denote evil/bad yet you can basically walk about in a suit that has that symbol on it and one made up out of the very creations that destroyed the world. Further more you can become the monsters and commune with them. Characters unaware of the evil that orange represents (we must turn all orange to blue - well, except Terry's Choclate Orange, they alright) protect ancient orange balls and I even found one rubbing it in a very unsettling way. I think that this game's blurring of the lines between good and bad is part of its huge success. It approaches these concepts in the same playful manner as everything else. 

That woman on the beach is proper weird. I'm going nowhere near her. It reminds me of an ex who collected novelty pencils - she had thousands of them. 

Fighting the boss in the camel and the controls are pissing me off. If it's not my left joycon randomly not working, it's the lock-on failing and ending up with me getting one shot by the lightning sword when it randomly decides not to lock on but to spin my camera round, opening me up for attack. Really getting on my nerves, now. 

32 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Fighting the boss in the camel and the controls are pissing me off. If it's not my left joycon randomly not working, it's the lock-on failing and ending up with me getting one shot by the lightning sword when it randomly decides not to lock on but to spin my camera round, opening me up for attack. Really getting on my nerves, now. 

Luckily, I had the shield power on that. The bit near the end is even more irritating if you have controller issues. It was my least enjoyable Divine Beast and I'm glad it was my last one. I'm currently shrine hunting - 85 shrines so far - and also harvesting apples for no reason; I have 401 apples. I'm hoping to open my own cider brewery once I've finished Ganon off. I also had a proper fight yesterday with a zebra coloured Lynel - I think I've mastered using all my available powers. They're so tough as the elemental attacks don't work. I managed to glitch it a bit though as I was backed up against a wall and it seemed to cancel his rush attack. I've only killed three so far; they're so intimidating. I haven't met such a bad ass boss in a game since one of the Weapons in FFVII (the desert one). 

I found an area that's basically a farm - there are so many apples, honey, radishes and truffles and diamonds and a few Koroks. It's not far from the Rito area close to a Hinox on an island. I go back there every couple of days to harvest up a ton of food. 

I completed Eventide Island this morning and it was excellent. It reminded me a bit of Uncharted 4, and actually it does overall with its MGS V lite approach to combat. It's just that Zelda is so much more open and refined (than U4). The rope swing mechanic in U4 feels clunky in comparison to the paraglider. The way in which you can approach any combat situation is really brilliant. 

Was expecting a better reward but still, the experience was rewarding in itself.

Awesome 7 hour session last night. I was only intending on a couple of hours.

I didn't realise I hadn't unlocked the south east corner of the map so went on a wander through the tropical part, found some rubber armour, climbed the tower that unlocked the map, found the village by the beach, did some fishing with a harpoon, discovered a few secret shrines and generally potted about a bit.

But that's just it - I made no attempt to tackle any of the main story and even decided against any side quests - I just took a left turn and carried on walking and the next thing I know is its 3am and I had 2 kids to look after 4 hours later!! You can get so immersed in this doing next to nothing of real consequence.

120 shines get!

Also, I've been away for a couple of days so took my Switch. First time I've intensively used it handheld.

Two hours battery life is fucking shite.

46 minutes ago, deKay said:

120 shines get!

Also, I've been away for a couple of days so took my Switch. First time I've intensively used it handheld.

Yes, I always take a power pack with me. One seems to increase charge while I play so I can effectively get a few hours out of it.

55 minutes ago, deKay said:

120 shines get!

But you easily get 3 hours playing Zelda.... ahh its @deKays Switch, frankly 2 hours is a freaking miracle for you!

2 hours ago, deKay said:

120 shines get!

Two hours of Zelda handheld is worth two in the bush you miserable tosspot. 

Fully Aspel on his outings.

tin-foil-costume-fail.jpg

Have you noticed Zelda has the eyes thing?

Nope but have you ever noticed, have you though, have you, have you ever noticed, have you ever noticed that a £1 coin can fit in your ear? Have you noticed my brass hand doesn't fit under a normal sized Premier Inn bed?

got another Athletico Mince reference into rllmuk

13 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Hmm, I've noticed lots of rectangles around in life, too. Corporation logos, cereal packets, TV's, this post...they're everywhere! What if rectangles had just the one meaning attributed to them as well?

Artist nerds will always put a ton of nods into their games,  messily and without too much thought.  JRPG's in particular crib from ancient Greek mythology and thousands of other sources to piggyback off the authenticity of those myths and to save time designing 100 original elements/ enemies when a Griffin or Golem is serviceable enough. A handy way to quickly add gravitas and relatable history to the world.  Pyramids in Skies of Arcadia, Lynels in BOTW. It works. 

If they've shoved some eye imagery in willy nilly somewhere as a shortcut to symbolism, it doesn't mean Miyamoto is a virgin goat slayer. And the Link shutting his right eye thing makes you sound like a crazy YouTube schizophrenic who's reaching a bit too hard (to me).

I get what you're saying man! The thing is Nintendo haven't shoved some One Eye imagery in willy (snigger One Eye snigger) nilly though. The mythology, concepts and story of Zelda are inspired by and in many cases directly taken from numerous religions and the occult. It's used very cleverly and consistently. The series has been designed that way with real thought and care behind it. Basically the people that have created these games know their shit!

For example the One Eye symbolism in BOTW clearly represents a higher power, hidden knowledge and enlightenment in the game. At the end of every shrine you meet an enlightened being. His/her eyes are both closed and the One Eye symbol is placed across the centre of their forehead. It signifies these characters are enlightened beings and that their "third eye" is open and thus hold "hidden knowledge". It may sound mental that I noticed Link only shuts his right eye when he bangs his head but given all the other stuff, I'm pretty sure that's in their on purpose, even if it's just a little "in joke" by the developers. That's just the tip of the iceberg though, there's all sorts of occult symbolism (cheers Nap, late night last night), and themes that the game is designed around, if you choose to look into it. Totally get why an "artist" would choose to use that kind of stuff and be influenced by it though. Just find it a tiny bit odd why essentially an all ages game would have the All Seeing Eye, Eye of Lucifer flashed up every 5mins while you're playing, so kids are exposed to it! 

I mean look at all the rock n roll and metal bands that use occult themes and symbolism. Stuff like getting the crowd to throw up devil horn hand symbols and shit. Obviously that doesn't mean that the bands or fans are devil worshippers but in a lot of cases it shows that they are/were promoting that kind of stuff to the mainstream and thus making it acceptable and "normal" whether they realised it or not. Same things goes for celebrities today. They constantly cover one eye up which is a direct reference to the Anti-Christ. That's not tinfoil hat wearing mentalness, it's a fact. Again, it works in the same way as the old bands throwing up the devil horns. They're promoting and thus making these symbols and themes acceptable and "normal". You then see young kids walking around doing the same shit having no idea what they're essentially doing or signifying! Also, check out the values and morals that these mainstream modern artists and celebs push on the youth of today and you can clearly see that they are promoting morals and values that are seriously degraded and messed up along with a crash course in how to be a self centred Narcissist! Its these people that seem to be genuinely mentally ill and yet that behaviour is becoming more and more acceptable and being promoted as "normal".

Gone a bit off topic now, hahaha, but what am I trying to get across? Well fair enough when you have games, music, art using lots of Occult symbolism, I guess I can sort of understand that. What I can't understand is why governments and people in real power are now using all this symbolism in broad daylight for everyone to see. As I've said......look at the ground zero ceremony on YouTube. You'll see for yourself that in the ceremony they form One Eye around the base of the structure. What's that got to do with remembering  9/11? Or how about they've also constructed a large statue at that location that is, yeah, you guessed it......a giant single eye. It's even called Oculus and it stays closed apart from on September 11th when it is suddenly opened. Again, wtf has that got to do with remembering 9/11? Again, that's just the tip of the iceberg when you look into all the One Eye symbolism that is being used by the people in power these days. Sounds mental but it's really not! In fact I actually find it mental that hardly anybody seems to question this shit. They just drift along oblivious to it! 

So yeah, i guess having seen all this stuff being used by governments and people with real power, it starts to make me feel a bit uncomfortable when it's now used so heavily in what's basically an all ages game like this. Especially when it's used so deliberately and with such thought and consistency. Part of feeling a bit uncomfortable also comes from the fact that 99% of people don't seem to realise what the symbolism signifies or what it essentially promotes, whether intentionally or not. It also makes me feel a bit uncomfortable that many people just don't care what's going on around them these days, which is cool, it's their freedom of choice but, I just find it a little bit sad considering.