IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Guys.

Zelda makes me feel like I felt when I played Final Fantasy VII as a spotty teenager. Filled with wonder (and completely unsure as to what I'm supposed to be doing).

I'm finding combat quite difficult. Just made it to Kakariko village and now on my way to meet scientist.

Does it start to click from a combat perspective? 

Ganon...DOWN! Finally.

Tbh I was so over powered by the time I got there I just strolled up in and around and booted him out. :)

What a game, absolutely loved every minute of it and worth the entry price of the console alone. Wonderful in every way and like FV says above just brought back happy memories of an epic OOT quest many years ago but expanded out into something far far more wondrous. Nintendo, you are wonderful. :wub:

Now I think i'll keep hold of the machine till E3 and if nothing they announce tempts me sell it on but it's been fun that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Father Vegetable said:

I'm finding combat quite difficult. Just made it to Kakariko village and now on my way to meet scientist.

I was a good 30 hours in before I genuinely got my head around combat. To start with I'd avoid any major confrontations and just find hiding places from where I could throw bombs/fire arrows. 

100 hours later I'm happy walking up to the biggest bad guys in the game and swatting their attacks away like they're little more than annoying insects - don't worry, it'll definitely click :D

As @Mars said, practice dodging (jump + either backwards or sideways) and blocking (shield out, tap A at the moment of impact) - once you've got those down you're sorted. 

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I was a good 30 hours in before I genuinely got my head around combat. To start with I'd avoid any major confrontations and just find hiding places from where I could throw bombs/fire arrows. 

100 hours later I'm happy walking up to the biggest bad guys in the game and swatting their attacks away like they're little more than annoying insects - don't worry, it'll definitely click :D

As @Mars said, practice dodging (jump + either backwards or sideways) and blocking (shield out, tap A at the moment of impact) - once you've got those down you're sorted. 

Liking this, making me happy.

Thank you

So I decided to have a little wander into Hyrule Castle this evening and faced up to Ganon. 

Spoiler

I was really glad the final encounter was fairly easy. The scale was epic but you felt like you had earned the right to own his ass over the course of the game.

The only thing I didn't like was it reverting back to your save just before you faced him. I'd have liked to have spent time in the world without any red evil gloop.

3 hours ago, Father Vegetable said:

The standard combat mechanics are pretty basic. Learn to parry and dodge (I think there's a guy in Kakariko to the left of Impa's house who will teach you basics). Both are effective but largely boring and I don't have the patience for straight sword combat if I can avoid it. There is rarely much reward for taking on your average enemies in the overworld.

The interesting stuff comes from using the environment to your advantage. Pushing boulders so they roll down onto your enemies, shooting lantern ropes so they fall on explosive barrels, etc.

You probably feel incredibly weak at the moment because you're broke as a joke and have no good weapons (and not enough slots for more). That will change pretty rapidly. You can buy some half decent armour which shouldn't break the bank in Kakariko.

Bombs are particularly useful earlier on, especially as they're unlimited, and enemies are weaker, generally, so take more damage from them. 

Also, getting around on horseback is not only faster but allows you to flee from confrontation more easily. 

Stock up on arrows as often as possible too. Buy as many as you can afford whenever you're at a shop, trader etc. 

Everything holds value in this game, even later on, so pick up all monster parts from defeated enemies, mine all the black rocks you see, literally pick up everything in the way of fruit, food, herbs etc. Sell it if you need to, and buy more arrows. 

11 hours ago, Father Vegetable said:

Guys.

Zelda makes me feel like I felt when I played Final Fantasy VII as a spotty teenager. Filled with wonder (and completely unsure as to what I'm supposed to be doing).

If anything it goes too far the other way . I am basically invincible , lynels, hinox , guardians pfft . 

With the prospect of having to get my Switch replaced looming due to controller issues I find myself wondering how I'd approach a second play through of this.  I'm not really interested in hard mode but would like to try and get back to my current position pretty quickly, avoiding some of the mistakes I made along the way first time through.

Money was a huge issue early on for me so I'd want to fix that.  That means not buying a house early on and opening up the ability to farm dragon horns as soon as possible, and the easiest way to do that is with the Zora armour which means doing the trip into Zora's domain as early as possible.  

On my first play through I haven't had to do much farming for materials as I just kept everything as I went along, by the time I had sufficient funds to unlock or buy things I generally had the materials required already.  Next time I think I'd be held back by a lack of materials a lot more.

I did the beasts Elephant, Camel, Lizard & Bird first time through but would probably do the Lizard second next time now I know how to venture up the mountain without catching on fire, then the bird and leave the camel to last.

What would you do if had to wipe your save and start over?

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Another light bulb moment the other day with bombs:

Reveal hidden contents

You can drop and detonate then while gliding!

Wait until you realise you can use two bombs at once.

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, I knew about that. 

Reveal hidden contents

Makes the Goron mine carts absolutely fly.

Sheesh - despite finishing the game with over 170 hours on the clock, I come in here and still find stuff I hadn't tried out.

I know what you are saying about discovering new things after so many hours. Just now I've come across the serenne stable, yesterday I was trawling the badlands... My god, they are bad. 

All after over 100 hours play, smashing Ganon and all the rest. What else have I missed? They really have hidden so much joy in this game. What appears quite telling is that a lot of us seem to have taken a similar time to get to the castle but all of us could probably surprise one another with a bit they've seen that no one else has. This game continues to amaze after all this time. 

Did anyone work out if there was anything special to do in the flooded village near lake Hylia(?)?

It has the look of being set up as some kind of course - shield surfing, crazy golf or the like. That hill with the hollow trees leading down it, lots of hollowed-out buildings and so on.

I never shot at a fox. Not once.

Didn't feel too good about the deer hunting side task in Hateno, either. Nor about having to defend myself from wolves.

Octoroks? Inna head, every time. Vermin.

Surprisingly tricky to kill without arrows. At least the pack scatter once you've taken out one.

Your heart sinks when you hear the howl and know you have a fight on your hands. Which is realistic, I guess.

My 8 year old daughter beat Ganon on Sunday. She actually did the

second part with the bow

in a lot less time than I did. We've played it alongside one another since day 1 and, although I bought her the Wii U version for her upstairs console, we like playing it together in the living room on the Switch more (I think my 5.1 set up is what she likes most of all though). She was completely pleased with herself as she's watched me defeat Ganon a while ago and she was a bit nervous about attempting it but she did fine :) she's currently playing through Windwaker and she's actually got further than I ever have on that game - I always found it a complete chore and there's an illusion of exploration rather than what Breath of The Wild does. Fair play to her though; she's also got further on Rayman Legends than I have.