IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

I'm weak.  Despite saying that I was going to put it aside until the DLC, I couldn't resist playing through The Great Plateau again last night.  I tried things in a different order & had a slightly different adventure where I found some things I missed the first time.  Wonderful stuff.

Now I have to resist leaving the Plateau.  With that wide world full of adventure beckoning me... saying that just a little bit more couldn't hurt...right? :unsure:

Man, what an epic lunchtime adventure I had!  After doing a shrine quest around Death Mountain, I headed to a certain lava lake to try track down a Talus for a side-mission.  After a pretty hilarious slog of a battle (only twigged at the very end that I could've used ice arrows to calm his fury and stop taking damage while stood on top! FFS dood) I had a quick squint at the map and noticed the nearby shrouded woods, man that was fun!! 

Spoiler

Ran about like an idiot for far too long, before I clocked that following the direction that the little statues are pointing/facing was probably a good idea! LOL. 

Fighting that Hinox in the dark was incredible!! Especially when I accidentally shot him with a fire arrow and set him alight, he proper freaked out trying to extinguish the flames.  A couple more eye shots followed by charge attacks with my great flaming sword and he was down!!  Gutted the shroud didn't clear after doing the shrine.. 

Did I miss something? Can you clear the darkness?  I'd like to look around for treasure! 

Oh, so that's where the docks are. I can't believe I didn't find that before. I'm also glad I had a load of fireflies, as I made someone happy. But who is that sneaking off at night, hmmm..., think I'll follow and see who stole the...... ;)

112 Shrines found!

Some cool adventures last night and this morning..  Retreading some ground I did on emulation, headed past Lake Hylia to the south.  Most curious was noticing that the game both scales enemies with Link (presume related to number of health/stamina level ups you take), and that the loot is randomised!   

Anyway, found the horse god, how on earth I missed that before, I have no idea!!  So revived my original horsey!!  She only has two stamina though, hard to ride her now I'm used to 3!!  

did get frustrated with a couple of things:

1.  The race/obstacle course you can do at the stable near the horse god.  If I could have a run where my horse wouldn't randomly seem to fail to jump, I'd easily beat the man's record!!  I tried different horses, everything.  Wound me up no end.  I gave up for now. 

2.  The girl on the beach who talks about seeing guardians... I spent ages luring the nearest walker to her, but it just didn't seem to come past a certain point.  It would stop shooting at me.  She wouldn't react.  WHAT GIVES?  I'm pretty sure she says she wants to see 'any' type of guardian..  Don't tell me I need to lure three types at once!

10 minutes ago, dood said:

Some cool adventures last night and this morning..  Retreading some ground I did on emulation, headed past Lake Hylia to the south.  Most curious was noticing that the game both scales enemies with Link (presume related to number of health/stamina level ups you take), and that the loot is randomised!   

Anyway, found the horse god, how on earth I missed that before, I have no idea!!  So revived my original horsey!!  She only has two stamina though, hard to ride her now I'm used to 3!!  

did get frustrated with a couple of things:

1.  The race/obstacle course you can do at the stable near the horse god.  If I could have a run where my horse wouldn't randomly seem to fail to jump, I'd easily beat the man's record!!  I tried different horses, everything.  Wound me up no end.  I gave up for now. 

2.  The girl on the beach who talks about seeing guardians... I spent ages luring the nearest walker to her, but it just didn't seem to come past a certain point.  It would stop shooting at me.  She wouldn't react.  WHAT GIVES?  I'm pretty sure she says she wants to see 'any' type of guardian..  Don't tell me I need to lure three types at once!

Maybe there is another way to bring her a guardian, memories are made of these. ;)

3 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Just started this last night and been playing all day.

Apart from the overall brilliance, I have to say, this is the first game I've ever found cooking to be fun.

Never played Overcooked?

37 minutes ago, dood said:

I kinda wish the game was viable in a mode where you literally had no 'magic inventory', and had to gather stuff on demand when you needed it. Would be proper tense. 

It is kind of like that when you first start the game,

Eventide Island

& now the Master Trials DLC,  Whatever advantages you've built up in terms of gear & items are removed & you just have your wits & the skills you've built up over the course of your adventure to take on the challenge you're presented with.

It's certainly much more tense & interesting to have to analyse a situation & come up with strategies rather than bulldozing your way through it with the Super-powerful items you picked up somewhere else.

I'm really looking forward to the DLC. I had a fantastic time in my 100+ hours, but found some of the shine came off the game after I'd defeated all 4 divine beasts. This game was at its absolute best when I had a clear direction that I was supposed to be headed in... which I would then ignore completely as I got distracted by random shrines, monsters, stables, curious landmarks, Lynels, running away from Lynels, NPCs, trees, interesting looking rocks, suspiciously boring looking rocks, etc. I have about 10 shrines left and a few monster parts to grind out, but it was starting to feel like work at that point, so I left it. After a few months away, I'm ready to drop back in and clean all the loose ends up when the DLC gives me an excuse to pick it up again. I'm also super curious to get to see the drunken path I traced through the world.

17 minutes ago, Chthonic Boom said:

I'm also super curious to get to see the drunken path I traced through the world

Has it been confirmed that it definitely works that way? I was expecting to have to make a new save to use it..

I mean, if it's already recording everywhere you've been, why don't they already show it? 

35 minutes ago, dood said:

Has it been confirmed that it definitely works that way? I was expecting to have to make a new save to use it..

I mean, if it's already recording everywhere you've been, why don't they already show it? 

Yep, it's been confirmed that it's been tracking the whole time, saving your path up to ~200 hours. My guess is they held it back to pad out a fairly sparse DLC pack.

1 hour ago, dood said:

Yes, it's confirmed that it shows the previous 100 hours (I think) of play. 

My current stats after this evening's play:

70 hours played

2 Beasts done (Elephant + Camel)

41 Shrines

99 Korok seeds 

Still have about half the map unexplored and to uncover. 

Not sure if I'll ever finish this game to any degree but I don't care because it's so good just hanging around this world. 

Is the dungeon progress saved? I got to the boss at the end of a dungeon last night but were nowhere near taking him down, I have no meals left nor any potions to help me. Can I wander off and return whenever I like, or will the dungeon reset after a while?

13 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Is the dungeon progress saved? I got to the boss at the end of a dungeon last night but were nowhere near taking him down, I have no meals left nor any potions to help me. Can I wander off and return whenever I like, or will the dungeon reset after a while?

You can return and finish the boss later. 

I don't want my horse to get hurt and lose him, I've so lovingly trained and gained it's trust now..it would break me to see something terrible happen to him :(

..so I leave him safely plodding around in Kakariko Village, just popping back every now and then to feed him carrots & apples and feel all warm and fuzzy when he eats it and the calming sign appears :P

No one, no 'thing' is going to tear us apart.:D

...Never felt this way about Roach, dumb shit.

Spent all day playing this. Up to 47 Shrines done and 114 Korok seeds. 

Spent hours just exploring the desert and Gerudo Highlands.  Went there to get 10 Wild berries for a side quest was there so long I ended up with 68 of them. And a lot of wolf meat. 

Climbed to the summit but quickly left after spotting who/what was patrolling up there - I'm not ready for that yet. I still use my cheap tactic of hiding and continuously lobbing bombs at enemies until they die. Though I did complete a major test of strength today without dying or needing to heal midfight 

Also got the sand boots and snow boots now 

Spoiler

Took a photo of the big sword first thinking that was what I needed for sand boots before finding the actual statue so when I went back to Gerudo and got my sand boots I immediately completed the second quest given for the snow ones.

There's so much to do!