IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Found a great new tactic for fighting during thunder now I've completed the Gerudo quests  

Spoiler

- Equip metal weapon

- Wear the Thunder Helm

- When lightning is about to strike you  (as signalled by the sparks) run into group of enemies 

They get fried and you remain unscathed. 

15 hours ago, Azrael said:

This fucking golf-like shrine is doing my head in :mad:

I bloody hated that so much I just left it. Even with all the repositioning etc, I found actually hitting it in the direction I wanted way too frsutrating.  Not worth the anger.  Isn't the reward something shit like a ancient core, or something? :lol: 

15 hours ago, Jarik said:

I don't rely on potions because the timer makes me feel that no matter what i'm doing while the effect is active, i'm wasting it.

I only found one quest where I specifically wasn't allowed to use the special effects of Gear, but I was powerful enough at that point to get through it anyway.

Heh, I can empathise with feeling like you're wasting it, but stuff is so plentiful I've kinda gotten over it now.   I also kinda like the mini adventure I need to go on when I need to source things.  For e.g. when trying to gather some lizards to upgrading the climbing set, I accidentally discovered wild bears (!! so cool, and mountable!!), completed a sub-quest accidentally and found a new shrine I'd somehow missed!  Lovely. 

10 hours ago, Goose said:

Bought the house - shame you can't put more stuff in it :)

Have you definitely bought everything? It gets pretty full once you buy everything, you get some nice bonus furniture thrown in!!

Last night's adventures were grand.  Cleared Eventide Island, that was properly fun!  Looking forward to the trial in the first DLC now, for sure.   I freaked out for ages though, with one ball left..

Spoiler

Was too afraid to throw it in the water in case I got stuck!!  Didn't realise it'd float!! :lol: Got there in the end once I had no other option, though.. haha

After that I went for a mooch around the front of Hyrule Castle..  Man the mood there is epic!   Was hoping to find the bits I needed for some of the earliest sub quests I received, but wasn't very fruitful.  I'll head in a bit closer another time.  Was fun dismantling the guardians with my various massive guardian weapons though - I feel so OP! :D 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Re. The third Eventide ball

Hide contents

That shit floats!?! I spent a fucking age getting the raft from the other end of the island and doing it the hard way. Lol. 

Dude that's exactly what I tried.. I only gave up when I accidentally knocked it out of bounds of the island and couldn't get it back!!

20 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

. Was all set to have a looksie at the Castle and then get an all day power cut (posting in a cafe). Fffffuuuuuuu

Um...if you've docked the Switch couldn't you undock and play handheld for a bit?

I burnt out on Zelda (so much to do) but I'm slowly getting the itch to head back in. Maybe the hard mode and a restart - and trying different.

It's just a nice world to pootle around in. I think there's 2 areas I didn't touch, and others I've got loads to do in.

Kicking it oldschool on WiiU. 

Power came back by the evening and I accidentally finished the game. Was looking for the last memory location and wandered into the castle by mistake. Curiosity took over and one thing led to another...

Need to redo the end after finishing off the memories still though. Then decide what can follow this.

On 21/06/2017 at 21:54, Goose said:

Is there something you wear that affects your stamina speed usage? I've got a game going, as does my daughter. When I did the bird divine beast, I could glide and shoot probably 3-4 times and not run out of stamina. When she's playing, with the exact same stamina wheel, we were lucky to get one shot off before she ran out of stamina. I wasn't using any potion or food, and I had the warm frost resistance garb - as did she. Could just be a trick of the mind.

It might be the bow you're using - the Rito (swallow bow is it? I think there's another one too) bows speed-load themselves(?)

I am continuing my playing this masterpiece again and I just don't understand how they made it so good, 130 hours in and with 94 shrines found I just do not understand ho I haven't found this shrine and stable combo out in the open in the middle of a damn field :o

zleda%20wtf.jpg?dl=1

I have said it before but I just don't get it, I don't like RPG games or open world stuff as a rule and nothing has ever come close to Mario 64 to me but this has just blown it away to the point I fear for Mario Odyssey - not they it won't be great but how the fuck do you follow up this game :wub:

No one will better this game for a long time. It's got that thing you can't put your finger on. That intangible magic dust that only Nintendo seem able to sprinkle over their games. 

Seriously, it's very difficult playing other open world games after this. The climbing is a total game changer, and then there's the flying. It's the stuff of childhood dreams.

I think it's the gliding for me. It's enough for flights of fancy but not too much to be overpowered and fly half way across the map.

The portability is such a killer. I doubt I'd have sunk half as many hours into this otherwise. The amount of open world games I've barely seen 20% of! I've still got one beast to go, as well as about 90 shrines and 15+ side quests on the go. I've got just one memory, the rest still to find. And so much stuff I've 'got to remember to visit again'. There are at least two pieces of the map to unveil too.

Some cats talking about a haunted bridge, which I need to see as well. And I've not ventured to Eventide yet either. 

So so much stuff that nothing else is getting a look in. I will never tire of the flight/bow/shoot/fly mechanic.

Well after just bumbling about for well over 100 hours my daughter really wanted us to save zelda so this week I did three divine beasts and this morning we kicked Ganon's arse together. 

Still lots to do as would like to get all the shrines at some stage and still have a couple of side quests but I think Arms will be my focus for the next couple of weeks.

What an incredible experience though. 

I completed the game finally last night. Just shy of 100 hours and 25 Shrines still to find. I have 210 or so Koroks as well. I spent a lot of time taking photographs for the compendium, I'm 80% complete on that now. The majority of the 77 missing entries are weapons so I'll continue trying to fill that. I'd pay full retail price for DLC expanding on the photographs with wildlife expeditions, luring creatures out with bait recipes and finding mythical creatures by deciphering cryptic clues. I love that stuff. It's so relaxing.

19 hours ago, Stanley said:

No one will better this game for a long time. It's got that thing you can't put your finger on. That intangible magic dust that only Nintendo seem able to sprinkle over their games. 

Seriously, it's very difficult playing other open world games after this. The climbing is a total game changer, and then there's the flying. It's the stuff of childhood dreams.

...there's flying?!

Horizon and Breath of the Wild are nothing alike and shouldn't really be compare. They're mechanically and thematically entirely different. 

True, on a superficial level.. they're open with a "hunting" aspect, but they're totally not similar. 

Zelda's more like a better version of Skyrim mixed with Halo's (or other "immersive sims") emergent systems. 

I think you're bound to compare, especially if, like many of us, you've played them back to back. Particularly if you've come to Horizon after Zelda. There's no getting away from the fact that climbing and traversal feels incredibly clumsy and last gen compared to Zelda. It's just not something you can overlook imo. 

That said what elevates Horizon is it's combat. I wouldn't say it's better than Zelda, heck I wouldn't say any aspect of Zelda is done better in other games, but it is involving and deep enough in its own right to separate the two.

The more distance I get from it after completing Zelda, the more I am convinced that it is, by far, the best game ever made. 

23 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Started the Yiga clan section last night. I can't seem to get a feel for the stealth elements, so was getting a tad frustrated.

Just keep high up, use bananas to divert them away from where you want to go. Stasis is also useful for sneaking past the guards, as well. 

I just read about a 33 hour speed run that mentioned dungeons. Are they something else again or is that referring to the Divine Beast quests? I've found....

Spoiler

A large maze just behind the place you get ancient arrows crafted. I had to fly down to it. It's the only thing like that I've come across so far.

I would assume by Dungeons they mean divine beasts. 

Anyway, I've done all the shrines, side quests, maxed out all my armour, only thing I'm really missing are the 900 korok seeds, currently have about 350. I'm *almost* tempted to do this because it's just so much fun to explore the world. 

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I would assume by Dungeons they mean divine beasts. 

Anyway, I've done all the shrines, side quests, maxed out all my armour, only thing I'm really missing are the 900 korok seeds, currently have about 350. I'm *almost* tempted to do this because it's just so much fun to explore the world. 

The DLC on Friday will help with your search for Korok seeds ;)