IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

The flip side is I had no interest in playing Horizon at all as I dislike open world games, don't like that dev and couldn't care less about story in games let alone story driven games as people tend to fob off poor mechanics because the story was so good (UC and TLOU stun me that people like but there you go) but having played Zelda I really want to give Horizon a go as it has got such great praise and my new fave game of all time is open world :o

I will not play it for a while as I'm still balls deep in Zelda, 100 shrines now, and I don't think it would be fair to play straight after Zelda let alone side by side with it.

Mario 64 nailed story, maybe a little too much for my liking to give an impression how little I care about stories in games!

Playing this without fast travel changes it completely. I have so many resources but my old favourite warp points are just occasional stops. I've never been back up a tower after lighting them up, and I'm riding horses constantly. I've made very little "progress" but I have nearly full stamina (still at three hearts), and so many Korok seeds. Best game ever.

On 13/06/2017 at 00:59, momomo said:

As someone mentioned before there arent many tunes in this you can hum

Why could they not get Koji Kondo to do any music is beyond me.

Is he too busy on Mario oddysey?

Is he washed up?

He wrote this a year or two ago and for my money it's the best new Nintendo tune in about fifteen years:

On 15/06/2017 at 08:09, Jarik said:

It's suddenly occurred to me that the new armor pieces might be Amiibo-only.  I hope that isn't the case, as I only have original Link (the first Link Amiibo released) & Wolf Link.  OG Link got me Epona & the TP costume, but everything else was locked behind the other Amiibo, & thinking about it, wouldn't it be fitting for Majora's Mask to only be available with MM Link, & the Phantom Armor with Toon Link? :(

I think its it's unlikely that the sparse season pass content will be walled behind anything other than the price.

On 15/06/2017 at 08:32, dood said:

Fucking Amiibos.  I am a little bit sick in my mouth each time I think about them locking content behind plastic guff.  

What are my options for faking it?

Chinese counterfeit Amiibo cards, about £12 on eBay.

On 25/06/2017 at 12:24, Stanley said:

No one will better this game for a long time. It's got that thing you can't put your finger on. That intangible magic dust that only Nintendo seem able to sprinkle over their games. 

Seriously, it's very difficult playing other open world games after this. The climbing is a total game changer, and then there's the flying. It's the stuff of childhood dreams.

I feel like it's ruined GTA and Bethesda games for me.

I'm still wondering why they called this game 'Breath of the Wild'? Has there been a more concise explanation than what Aonuma mentioned to IGN? -

http://www.zeldainformer.com/ign-interview-title-breath-of-the-wild-reflects-main-character-the-world/

“Even the subtitle itself is different from previous Zelda titles,” Aonuma said. In past games of the series, he explained, Nintendo would use item names like Skyward Sword or character names Twilight Princess as the subtitle for a new game. For this project, Aonuma worked closely with Nate Bihldorff from Nintendo’s Treehouse over the span of many months before they landed on the name, Breath of the Wild. ”It took a while,” Bihldorff said, “We talked a lot about plot points and items and characters, but what we kept coming back to was that the world itself is really the soul of this game.”

To Bihldorff, the stark, final image shown in the trailer really represented what the game was all about. “The ruined, crumbling masonry and the quiet field with a breeze running through it,” he said. “The sense of melancholy that pervades this place, what was once a beautiful kingdom is now fallen to ruin really felt like the soul of the game to us.” We found a Goddess Statue sitting inside the ruined Temple of Time Bihldorff described. The sad scene sets up so many mysteries that appear to be an integral part of the next Zelda.

“Really the world is the main character,” Aonuma added.

Kept reading the title as 'Breadth of the Wild' for a while at first, which would have been an interesting way to convey the size and scope of the world.

Guess 'Breath of the Wild' just rolls off the tongue better and explains the key weather feature too.

Eventide island

Spoiler

Utter genius. After feeling confidant at taking on most things, the game resets you, making you rely on luck and stone skills. Proper survival, run in terror from previously weak enemies stuff.

Just superb.

16 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Turns out I'd actually completed the Yiga stealth section without realising it. I'd reached a room which I thought was just a dead end containing treasure, but it was actually the last room - I'd just missed the exit.

16 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Turns out I'd actually completed the Yiga stealth section without realising it. I'd reached a room which I thought was just a dead end containing treasure, but it was actually the last room - I'd just missed the exit.

There is a boss battle though that's triggered when you go through that exit, have you done that?

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yes, of course - I just meant that I'd finished the stealth bit. I hadn't spotted the way into the boss room.

Ah cool, yeah I almost turned back there too but I had that niggling 'I think there's a solution here' thing that happens in this game a lot, that boss battle was great.

I never went back to the girl in the cell at the start, I presume she just gets freed automatically after you complete that mission?

1 hour ago, Ivanho said:

:omg:

After reading all your reactions, and mostly avoiding spoilers, I'm finally about to dive in (once the update has finished!!)

How I envy you. The sheer joy that's about to enter your video game world.

I'd like to take pill that erased my memories so I could start it all over again, fresh. :)

Aah welcome to adventures, @Ivanho! It's so good. Switch says I'm over 100 hours and still its going strong. And still I discover things.. For example, today I finally noticed / learned that, on the skeletal enemies 

Spoiler

A headshot instantly kills them. Ffs! Seems so obvious. I've spent a hundred hours chasing their stupid bouncing heads around! 

I also made myself a sick ancient armour set. And found a super little diversion.. Can't remember the exact name, something like 'abandoned temple' 

Spoiler

Full of immobile Guardians.. Was dead chuffed to long range parry  all of them, long range, without taking any damage, the very first attempt. 

I got the skills. :D

Oh and I restored Medoh. That Guardian power is RIDDICK. :wub:

After 25 hours, about 20 shrines and 1 beast I think I'm done with BotW. This game just hasn’t clicked with me at all I'm sorry to say. The last 5 hours of playing has been because after reading the stories and positivity in this thread for the last few months I figured it was me, that I must be missing something in the game but if I'm not finding it after 25 hours and not enjoying it its time to move on.

I have found it all a bit boring to be honest, all the talk of exploration is great but it was just loads and loads of walking and climbing about in nothingness. Its great that they have made a big landmass to play in but did everything have to be so far apart, there was too much down time in between areas.

I don’t know if I was also just unlucky but I seemed to come across load of enemies that would kill me in seconds, that became pretty frustrating as well.

I know it’s been talked about over and over but I found the whole weapon degradation thing just a chore to deal with, in fact the whole inventory management was one of my biggest problems I think. I just couldn’t be bothered having to constantly be jumping in and out of menus dropping somethings to allow me to pick up others or dealing with the food stuff you pick up. I also couldn’t be arsed with the whole changing outfits when you get to different areas stuff either, just more faffing about in menus again.

The shine puzzles were usually good but I got bored with a lot of them and would resort to googling a solution, my gaming time is limited as it is without having to take hours figuring out some of the puzzles, that one is definitely on me though and so I cant fault the game for that.

I don’t know, maybe its me to be honest, I’ve been in a bit of a funk with gaming lately but after reading all the tales I really thought this would be the one to bring me out of that but unfortunately that hasn’t been the case.

I might go back to it someday but I popped the game out and stuck on Lego City Underground though and sat with a smile on my face for the next couple of hours, maybe I'm just after something with a little less thought these day.

7 hours ago, David Heath said:

Why are you running around with no shoes on you dumb moron.

when cast away on the island? you know that mission? you should look for it if you have not seen it. its awesome. 

I have played something like 160 hours and found a new village I had not seen the other night. I am now trying to shoot a horn off a dragon to upgrade me some gear. those fuckers are faster than they look. 

2 hours ago, memories said:

After 25 hours, about 20 shrines and 1 beast I think I'm done with BotW. This game just hasn’t clicked with me at all I'm sorry to say. The last 5 hours of playing has been because after reading the stories and positivity in this thread for the last few months I figured it was me, that I must be missing something in the game but if I'm not finding it after 25 hours and not enjoying it its time to move on.

I have found it all a bit boring to be honest, all the talk of exploration is great but it was just loads and loads of walking and climbing about in nothingness. Its great that they have made a big landmass to play in but did everything have to be so far apart, there was too much down time in between areas.

I don’t know if I was also just unlucky but I seemed to come across load of enemies that would kill me in seconds, that became pretty frustrating as well.

I know it’s been talked about over and over but I found the whole weapon degradation thing just a chore to deal with, in fact the whole inventory management was one of my biggest problems I think. I just couldn’t be bothered having to constantly be jumping in and out of menus dropping somethings to allow me to pick up others or dealing with the food stuff you pick up. I also couldn’t be arsed with the whole changing outfits when you get to different areas stuff either, just more faffing about in menus again.

The shine puzzles were usually good but I got bored with a lot of them and would resort to googling a solution, my gaming time is limited as it is without having to take hours figuring out some of the puzzles, that one is definitely on me though and so I cant fault the game for that.

I don’t know, maybe its me to be honest, I’ve been in a bit of a funk with gaming lately but after reading all the tales I really thought this would be the one to bring me out of that but unfortunately that hasn’t been the case.

I might go back to it someday but I popped the game out and stuck on Lego City Underground though and sat with a smile on my face for the next couple of hours, maybe I'm just after something with a little less thought these day.

Condolences man.   If the allure of the adventure into the mysterious unknown doens't grab, then it's clearly not going to do much for you. 

Having to google the shrine solutions seems a bit :unsure: though!  They're not that hard! I don't think I've been in a single shrine for longer than five minutes the whole time I've played!!

Speaking of which, I can't be the only one who gets a bit sad when you open a shrine and it's just like "YOU HAVE PROVED YOUR WORTH BY SIMPLY GETTING HERE, HAVE A CHEST AND A LEVEL UP TOKEN".  Feels like I've been robbed of a good bit of puzzling!! :(

7 minutes ago, dood said:

Speaking of which, I can't be the only one who gets a bit sad when you open a shrine and it's just like "YOU HAVE PROVED YOUR WORTH BY SIMPLY GETTING HERE, HAVE A CHEST AND A LEVEL UP TOKEN".  Feels like I've been robbed of a good bit of puzzling!! :(

With those ones, isn't the puzzle usually how you get into the shrine in the first place though?